RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought the belt was every 150k miles but just saw it is 100k. I have approx. 145k on my truck now.
So my question is how many have had this belt replaced? What mileage and did you do it yourself? If done by dealer, how much did it cost?

It's hard for me to see it, in order to inspect it, and from what I have read it really needs to be done from below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and thanks to all who can help.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I changed mine at 180k miles and it was in pretty bad shape. I think it’s easier to install them from the bottom of the engine son it’s easier if the truck is in the air.
I had a shop do it and it was $200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got 163k miles on my '14; I have a new belt sitting on the work bench but haven't had a chance to install it yet. Like Confortably numb stated, do it from the bottom. I found a video that shows how to do it but can't find it at the moment. I know you have to undo a bracket underneath and use a pry bar to separate it enough from the engine to snake the belt through the gap. I don't think there's any way to change the belt from the top.

Dave

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Idler Pulley bearing froze at 205k around 4,950 hours snapping the belt. Until then it looked great, no cracks. Retrospectively maybe should have at 150k when the coolant system was flushed.

Reactions: keiths487

·
Super Moderator
3,310 Posts
Ack I have been lax here. Tuesday when I change my oil I will have to check the idler pulley and belt condition. Glad this was brought up .

Reactions: keiths487

·
Registered
770 Posts
My tensioner pulley was bad at 50k miles, had dealer change belt too, even though they said belt looked fine. Had no signs tensioner was bad other than they said it was upon doing front timing cover reseal for an oil leak.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Idler Pulley bearing froze at 205k around 4,950 hours snapping the belt. Until then it looked great, no cracks. Retrospectively maybe should have at 150k when the coolant system was flushed.
Raymond , I remember you posted the bill for your belt and all pulleys replacement at 200,000 mies + , wise decision
to not break down repetitively for each pulley , one by one .
The tensioner is the big $$ item , I guess a little spray of white lithium grease behind it occasionaly
aimed at the bearing could not hurt ...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Changed my 7.3 at 200k when I replaced a tension-er pulley then. Belt looked fine and keep in back of truck as back up.

Suggest saving old belt in truck for back up.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Dad always said to keep the old one as a spare. I haven't replaced mine yet, but will keep the old one when I do.

I can also say do not get a cheap parts house brand belt. Good belts will last a long time and many miles, the parts house brand are 1/2 or less price, but they would be cracked and done after a year.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. I really appreciate all the info. I saw a belt at Geno's and thought about getting it and having the dealer install it when I have the VB1 recall done.
I'm not good enough to do it myself and just worry about a "local guy" doing it and possibly messing something up.
I've loved the serviceability of this truck on fluids but I think this one is beyond me.

Just a side note, changed the oil in my wife's 2019 hemi this weekend. What the hell where these engineers thinking. Sure did make me appreciate the ecod.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Replacing the belt and tensioner/idlers is half hour job with some basic tools. All done from the bottom, just drive the truck onto some sort of ramps and lay underneath for half hr to get the job done. One of the easier belt changes in my opinion. Once the crank cover is out of the way everything is visible.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I thought the belt was every 150k miles but just saw it is 100k. I have approx. 145k on my truck now.
So my question is how many have had this belt replaced? What mileage and did you do it yourself? If done by dealer, how much did it cost?

It's hard for me to see it, in order to inspect it, and from what I have read it really needs to be done from below. Any help with this is greatly appreciated and thanks to all who can help.
Take out the Ecodiesel and put a Cummins Diesel in it...
Much cheaper....

·
Registered
18 Posts

They only way to tell about the belt is with a gauge. It show how much wear there has been in the groves. Most auto parts stores have them. Old belts you could see how far into the grove the belt was riding. These belts will wear through to strands. With that said I still replaced mine at 100K. I did not want to roll the dice and leave me stranded. Plus I wanted to check the idler pulley. The only way is from the bottom as you have to remove the cover, and loosen the bracket. I did follow the video, and took about an hour. I have 147K now on my '15. Hope this helps, John

·
Registered
2 Posts
I changed mine at 180k miles and it was in pretty bad shape. I think it’s easier to install them from the bottom of the engine son it’s easier if the truck is in the air.
I had a shop do it and it was $200

I did my 2003 5.9Cummins from the bottom that’s the only way I could do it

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They only way to tell about the belt is with a gauge. It show how much wear there has been in the groves. Most auto parts stores have them. Old belts you could see how far into the grove the belt was riding. These belts will wear through to strands. With that said I still replaced mine at 100K. I did not want to roll the dice and leave me stranded. Plus I wanted to check the idler pulley. The only way is from the bottom as you have to remove the cover, and loosen the bracket. I did follow the video, and took about an hour. I have 147K now on my '15. Hope this helps, John
Thanks to all for the helpful replies.
I saw the video on youtube and that really did help. I think I'm going to give it a go at 150k. I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I got around to changing my serpentine belt today at 148,500 miles. The old belt looked to be in excellent condition and I will keep it as a spare. No cracks, splits or fraying. I purchased my new belt from Geno's and I'm happy to report the new belt is on, but I did have a hiccup and it was completely my own stupidity.

So, never having done this before, I decided to video how the old belt was woven around the pulleys. After getting the old belt off and installing the new belt I found that the new belt was too long. These idiots sent me the wrong size belt!!!
As you can imagine I got very frustrated as it took me some time to get the old one off and new one on.
So, why take 30 seconds to review the video I just took, when you can spend 15-20min trying to get the new belt back off.
Finally I get the new belt off and compare it to the old belt. Same size. WTF.
Oh yeah, let me take a look at the video. Stupid me had not woven the belt correctly. So another 15-20min getting the new belt back on under that bracket.

Overall it's not a difficult job, but I will probably be hitting the ibuprofen tomorrow morning, as I had to contort my body while laying on the ground to get to everything. Point is a person with no mechanical skills, such as myself, can do this job.

There is a youtube video that is very helpful, if anyone else needs a tutorial. I will try to link it here but am not very tech savvy. He explains what is needed but I will list it below.
1 socket wrench with a 10mm deep socket and 13mm socket. 1 small 3/8 extension. 1 breaker bar with 15mm socket and a small pry bar or large screw driver.
The air ride made this job alot easier for me as I was able to raise up the truck to get underneath it. Love that air suspension!

Step 1. Remove cover. (There are 4 10mm bolts and 1 10mm stud with a nut.)
Step 2. Loosen bracket. (There are 2 13mm bolts and 1 10mm stud with a nut. )
Step 3. Take pics or video showing how the belt is currently set up on the pulleys. (Very Important)
Step 4. Use breaker bar to release the tensioner and slide old belt off. (This is where time and patience is needed as you have to work the belt out from around the bracket) Took me about 15min to figure this out. Just need to take your time and not get frustrated.
Step 5. Compare old belt with new belt to make sure they are a match. ( I didn't do this, which led to the above mentioned hiccup)
Step 6. Install new belt being careful to follow your pics or video. Reattach bracket.
Step 7. Run the truck to make sure all looks good.
Step 8. Put cover back on and go have a beer or cold drink.

If I missed something I apologize and feel free to chime in. Otherwise I hope someone else will find this information to be helpful and not make the same mistake I did.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Finally got to the bottom of my tool box and found my belt measuring tool. It's made by Dayco, the WEB site is daycoaWEARness.com.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts