RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use it for every tow full or empty, keeps the truck at higher torque RPM. That said I have the 3:55 axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ustuplay

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I won't disagree with Firesquirt but I don't usually use mine unless I am pulling something over 3,000. The small trailers are hard to even feel that they are back there.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hey Guys, at what weight of a trailer are you using the tow/haul button??
You don't even necessarily have to be towing a trailer/hauling a heavy load. If you are in a situation, including driving into a strong headwind or in a hilly area, where the transmission wants to up-shift, but keeps having to shift back down to maintain revs (known as hunting), you can engage tow/haul mode.

This is from the 8 speed transmission section of your owners manual:

FCA said:
When to Use TOW/HAUL Mode
When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the TOW/HAUL switch to activate TOW/HAUL mode. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I believe it will also help keep tranny temps down by holding gears longer.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I use it for some back roads with turns and hills. Stops it from continuously shifting. I tow my 4500 pound travel trailer with it on.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
13,810 Posts
I use tow haul while towing and still have high transmission temperatures. Now it occurs to me, why do transmission temperatures rise when the transmission shifts?

Never knew that shifting raised temperatures. If that's the case, I wanna be shiftless.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I use tow haul while towing and still have high transmission temperatures. Now it occurs to me, why do transmission temperatures rise when the transmission shifts?

Never knew that shifting raised temperatures. If that's the case, I wanna be shiftless.
I "believe" it is similar to a clutch, there is some slippage during shifting which creates the heat. I am sure someone will chime in with a better explanation.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I don't use it when towing my 4Klb total load boat, as I live in flat area and it never shifts. I would use if it started to shift though.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Because you are in the land of ever present heat ( Florida) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts