RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm chomping at the bit to test drive a new 2020 Ecodiesel. It seems like FCA has been building them for a few months. I thought they would be on the lots by now. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are on the lots, however there is a stop sale on them due to an EGR issue.
I'm talking about the 5th gen Ecodiesel, not the 4th gen Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Dave Smith doesn't show any 2020 EDs in inventory and they are suppose to be the world's largest Ram/Jeep dealer. Gotta wonder if they have been released from the factory.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave Smith doesn't show any 2020 EDs in inventory and they are suppose to be the world's largest Ram/Jeep dealer. Gotta wonder if they have been released from the factory.
Ram said they would be available in the fourth quarter, but they didn't specify when in the fourth quarter. We are getting closer to the fourth quarter being half over.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Received an email from the dealer I purchased my 2014 ED at telling me he will have 2020 ED on lot in next 7-10 days.
Finally! Thank you for the update!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Seems like the sold orders are showing up sooner than dealer orders. I Just ordered a 2020 Big Horn ecodiesel last week on 11/5 and as of yesterday it’s in D1 status already and has a ship date of 11/19. There was one that showed up at a dealer in MN and was immediately sold.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I Just ordered a 2020 Big Horn ecodiesel last week on 11/5 and as of yesterday it’s in D1 status already and has a ship date of 11/19.
That seems highly unlikely unless the truck you ordered was already built to your exact specifications. The stars nearly have to align to get the exact paint with the exact options on the exact body completely built and shipped within a 14 day timeline. Something doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That seems highly unlikely unless the truck you ordered was already built to your exact specifications. The stars nearly have to align to get the exact paint with the exact options on the exact body completely built and shipped within a 14 day timeline. Something doesn't sound right.
I did order it with the exact options and paint I wanted. I’m just relaying what I’m told. They said estimated ship date was 11/19. If it’s wrong then they lied.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did order it with the exact options and paint I wanted. I’m just relaying what I’m told. They said estimated ship date was 11/19. If it’s wrong then they lied.
For your sake, I hope that timeline is true. Historically, most orders have an approximate 2 month wait-time. As a matter of fact, a forum member ordered a 2020 Ecodiesel and he was given an approximate 2 month wait-time.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe he was confused about what generation ED. The current EcoDs have, or will have, a recall on the EGR. I am assuming that the 2020s already have an updated/different EGR.
I will certainly be keeping everyone updated on any issues I encounter... if any... I would assume... or hope that on this new Gen 3 engine and not delivering a ED for 2019 that this will be a solid release.... fingers crossed. :)

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe he was confused about what generation ED. The current EcoDs have, or will have, a recall on the EGR. I am assuming that the 2020s already have an updated/different EGR.
The 2020 gen. III Ecodiesel has a completely new EGR design. It's supposed to be a much better (cleaner) EGR than the current generation. You can read about the new EGR and see pictures of it here: https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ram-1500-ecodiesel-is-a-torquier-version-of-an-1837366263

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
bio , from the images , I can see the traditional EGR still in place on right side ,
with turbo up pipe going up to it , and the newer EGR on left side , it will be interesting to see
how the ECM could be modified to use the newer one and not the old " pre-DPFfilter" one .

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bio , from the images , I can see the traditional EGR still in place on right side ,
with turbo up pipe going up to it , and the newer EGR on left side , it will be interesting to see
how the ECM could be modified to use the newer one and not the old " pre-DPFfilter" one .
Yup, there's a lot that I don't completely understand, either. Here's the best description that I can find:

"For the new Ram, the third-generation EcoDiesel engine gets a low-pressure exhaust gas recirculation system. So, in addition to taking exhaust manifold gases and feeding them through a cooler and into the intake, as in the high pressure system, the new Ram pulls exhaust from after the diesel particulate filter and sends it through a cooler to the intake. The point, Ram says, is that instead of having to rob exhaust gases used to spool the turbocharger, the engine can snag exhaust post-turbo turbine—a setup that Ram says yields “improved fuel economy and lower oxides of nitrogen (NOx).”

"...the low-pressure EGR cooler that reduces the temperature of exhaust gases prior to sending them to the intake"

·
Registered
12,624 Posts
Been my understanding also. They were using the old EGR with the addition of a second one. If so you would hope that main
EGR would be the newly-designed one.

I’d they are selling then there would not be a “stop sale” issue.

Waiting for the first owner to show up here and talk about what they have.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts