RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: All... We are planning our first diesel/Escape trailer trip to Florida in early Jan. 2019. So far with the EcoD. I have been fueling at our local Mobil station. What fuel dealers on the Interstates do you use?
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Load the Gas Buddy app on your phone, buy your diesel at the location nearest you with the cheapest price. Usually there is a 10 to 20 cent price difference compared to the stations right on the interstate, plus the cheapest station usually sells a higher volume in diesel which I believe means less of a chance the diesel has been contaminated.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
I second that. Have your wife type in the coming towns where you might want to purchase fuel then click the map view and compare to what is along your route. However sometimes cheapest is at old out of the way stations. Stick with newer higher volume stations. Dirty fuel is no bargain. If the diesel pump is slow it probably has a dirty filter. Stop pumping and move on. And in my experience stick with the factory fuel filter / water separator.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Have done the trip south 5 or 6 times (from Ontario). I drive until I need fuel - and then I stop at a station. Have filled up at Shell, BP, Pilot, Sheetz, etc. I get what others are saying, but as long as the station does not look sketchy, it should be fine.

Never had an issue, and don't really worry about it that much.

Have a great trip, and enjoy the drive.

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Load the Gas Buddy app on your phone, buy your diesel at the location nearest you with the cheapest price. Usually there is a 10 to 20 cent price difference compared to the stations right on the interstate, plus the cheapest station usually sells a higher volume in diesel which I believe means less of a chance the diesel has been contaminated.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Its always nice to get cheaper fuel. But I would only assume that the off the beaten path stations are cheaper because they have to be, being off the path of most traffic and that they do less volume fuel sales. I highly doubt MOST people especially traveling with trailers venture off the hwy to get fuel.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Its always nice to get cheaper fuel. But I would only assume that the off the beaten path stations are cheaper because they have to be, being off the path of most traffic and that they do less volume fuel sales. I highly doubt MOST people especially traveling with trailers venture off the hwy to get fuel.
Hi: MAS... Thanks for the tips. When migrating south, towing with our Nissan Fronty V6 we had to stop several times daily to fill up. Our range has dramatically increased with the EcoD's mileage and tank size.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
GasBuddy is a must have app on the road. Saved me $ on trips as I've had the confidence to stretch tanks out another 30 or so miles and save good bucks.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Va. and SC. have lower taxes and cheaper fuel. I fill up entering and leaving these two states. I don't buy fuel or gas if I can help it in MD, WV, NC, or Ga. due to higher taxes/ prices. All the big truck stops along I-95 are at least $.20-.25 higher than the other local stations, they started this higher pricing about a year ago. I find the Sheetz stations stick with the lower local prices. Get a Sheetz's Card and save a few pennies and they usually sell a lot of diesel. When you get over 300 mi a tank full you can pick and choose a little. I would stay away from Murphy Diesel (Wal Mart), they have a high% of Bio-diesel. I lost about 3 MPG towing after filling up with Murphy fuel.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If filling at a truck stop, the pumps where the big trucks fuel may have higher prices due to the International Fuel Tax Agreement, or IFTA. This is especially obvious at the Flying J where there is an RV fueling station.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I live right off of I-75 and just a few miles away from I-64 outside of Lexington KY. Other than the North American Toyota plant, we are a farm/horse community with a whole bunch of diesel folks. The mega fuel stores at the Interstate, Love's and Pilot, are typically 25-30 cents per gallon higher than Wal-Mart or several other "car centered" stations. Guess where the local folks line up buy their diesel? It ain't Pilot. Typically, Wal-Mart. Always have 2-3 RAM 2500-3500 diesels getting fuel there.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I live right off of I-75 and just a few miles away from I-64 outside of Lexington KY. Other than the North American Toyota plant, we are a farm/horse community with a whole bunch of diesel folks. The mega fuel stores at the Interstate, Love's and Pilot, are typically 25-30 cents per gallon higher than Wal-Mart or several other "car centered" stations. Guess where the local folks line up buy their diesel? It ain't Pilot. Typically, Wal-Mart. Always have 2-3 RAM 2500-3500 diesels getting fuel there.
Hi: RansomT... Thanks for the tip. Many years ago on a trip south I had a tank full of bad gas. I thought the car would never run good again. I'm trying to avoid same with regards to diesel!!! We usually prefer to take I71 from I75 across to I65 @ Louisville and run I65 south thru Alabama.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hi: All... We are planning our first diesel/Escape trailer trip to Florida in early Jan. 2019. So far with the EcoD. I have been fueling at our local Mobil station. What fuel dealers on the Interstates do you use?
Diesel - You've already seen all the warnings to stay away from the Interstates. My opinion - You'll waste more time, fuel and money trying to find the "local favorite cheap diesel" and you'll risk sketchy fuel. Get the RV Plus card from Good Sam and you'll save $0.06/gallon off the pump price at Pilot and Flying J.They charge your checking account so you never have to go inside. Use the RV lanes and you'll have easy in and out access and you'll be back on the interstate before you can calculate the $2.00 extra it cost to fuel up.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Diesel - You've already seen all the warnings to stay away from the Interstates. My opinion - You'll waste more time, fuel and money trying to find the "local favorite cheap diesel" and you'll risk sketchy fuel. Get the RV Plus card from Good Sam and you'll save $0.06/gallon off the pump price at Pilot and Flying J.They charge your checking account so you never have to go inside. Use the RV lanes and you'll have easy in and out access and you'll be back on the interstate before you can calculate the $2.00 extra it cost to fuel up.
Gas Buddy does almost the same thing, 0.05 with a free membership. But if you join the Plus membership, it's $49 a year and you get the first 40 gallons a month at a 0.20 discount and then it's 0.05

·
Registered
125 Posts
As others have said I also use the Gas buddy App. Usually the night before the trip, I look at the App along the route that I will be traveling, and I map out station to station and then plug in the address of the next station where I know that at that distance I will need fuel. I don't usually run the tank below 1/4 due to more wear and tear on the fuel pump as it will get warmer in a tank with little fuel in it and increase the chance of going out. Also I usually carry at least one sometimes two, 5 gallon fuel cans that can extend my range if needed...especially if your going to a hurricane hit area where you can't buy fuel due to loss of power or they are completely sold out. Eventually I will get a 50 gallon auxiliary tank for the bed of my truck and have fewer stops and be able to buy fuel when I want (when its less expensive) to buy and not when I'm forced to buy at the higher price....my two cents...hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
As others have said I also use the Gas buddy App. Usually the night before the trip, I look at the App along the route that I will be traveling, and I map out station to station and then plug in the address of the next station where I know that at that distance I will need fuel.
And Gas Buddy even provides a little map when you look up the station so that you can see how far out of route it is and if it's worth the detour. Or if it's out of route at all.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Most of the time I buy at those Murphy stations associated with WalMart.

Using the WalMart card I get a few cents off their posted price. That price is most always less, sometimes dramatically less, than the truck stops and stations along the Interstate. There are Walmarts all over the south and the stations are often very close if not nearly on the interstates. Do some internet searching for where those Murphy stations are.

·
Super Moderator
3,132 Posts
Thats what Progressive Gov will get you having little to do with the typical scapegoat of "crumbling roads and infrastructure". The abusive taxation has caused an exit of the working taxpaying citizen from beautiful Cali to the low tax bordering states though aiding to a boom for them. Thank goodness the current administration has removed a lot of that type taxation & regulation spurring business to put Americans back to work causing supply and demand rising incomes and rising wages. Raising fuel taxes hurts almost everyone especially the poor as everyone needs and uses fuel in some way. It also has a compound effect as it raises the cost of everything not just fuel. I much prefer a tax specifically for whats needed or on non essential stuff. I paid 2.92 a gallon yesterday in low tax Missouri.

Wallmart Murphy Sams do they exclusively use the 5 to 20% bile diesel? Or is that just in Gov mandated states such as Illinois.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Most of the time I buy at those Murphy stations associated with WalMart.

Using the WalMart card I get a few cents off their posted price. That price is most always less, sometimes dramatically less, than the truck stops and stations along the Interstate. There are Walmarts all over the south and the stations are often very close if not nearly on the interstates. Do some internet searching for where those Murphy stations are.
You can even get an app to help you find the Murphy USA and Murphy Express stations. Oh, and the prices, too.

·
Registered
13,206 Posts
Yes. Some, maybe most of the Murphy Mary/Walmart Stations seem to show some form of biodiesel. So do most all of the stations I see. Been using that stuff for right at 100,000 miles. My fuel mileage seems a bit HIGHER than most overall.

Now you tell me where that fuel mileage penalty is? I still change my oil near the 10K mark and is sure looks good coming out. Blackstone is doing a report on my oil change earlier this week. I will report their findings ... fingers crossed.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts