RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to do a brake change. Pads a squealing, and rotors have a groove, so at 140,000, I figure its time.

I used EBC on all my Jeeps, and Napa Premium on my cars. What do you guys recommend for the 1500? I will be towing a 5500lb TT a couple times a month through the mountians if that sways your opinions.

Thanks! Shane.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had a 2000 Diesel Excursion that kept going through rotors, they would "Warp" and cause the wheels to shudder when i press the brake. I replaced them several times with the O'Reilly and Napa premium rotors, they would warp within 5000 Miles. I put these on my Excursion and the lasted until i sold it probably over 150,000 on the rotors. I bought the truck with 100,000 and sold it at 405,000. The Frozen Rotors are Cryogenically frozen, which makes the metal harder.
The 2015 Ecodiesel i bought has had the shuddering brake feeling since i bought it, but just not that bad, I will be replacing the stock rotors with new Rotors and pads from Frozen Rotors soon. The issue with the shuddering "Warping" really is not a physical deformation of the rotor, it is the restructuring of the molecules in the rotor when they get super hot. Typically after towing a trailer and using your breaks a lot then stopping at a red light. The super Hot pads literally Temper the metal "re-align" the molecules so that spot is super hard, kinds of like a wart in the metal, thus your pads will slip over the hard spot easier then the rest of the pad while stopping and that slipping gives the shuddering feel. These are absolutely the best Rotors and Pads you can buy, the Porsche racing circuit uses them. Give this guy a call he is a lot like GDE but on the rotor side, he know a ton about this stuff.

Click on this Frozen Rotors web site.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I found some vented high performance disc, rotors, pads and calipers to help cool the braking on my 1995 Dodge 2500 4X4 Cummins. We also replace the brake lines with the rotors. I got 175,000 on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts