RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked my truck up today. As the service attendant was filling it up he mentioned that I should only use Mopar DEF in the truck. I was thinking it was BS, but what are you guys hearing?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I just looked up Mopar DEF, $7.35 a gallon. Yeah, I'd be pushing that too. DEF at the truck stop pumps runs $2.79.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The service manager at my dealer said they have had a couple of 3D in with plugged DEF systems. He suggested just using the Mopar fluid. but I've not seen anyone here suggesting that. Seems heading to the highway truck stop is the best price.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
The dealer can ASK you to use anything they want... but it's like any other fluid in your truck... they CAN NOT deny warranty if you use someone else's product.

FYI... you can get DEF at most truck stops, for $2.50~$2.80 gal. AND... it should be clean, since the turn over is good.

OR...

You can get DEF at Walmart for about $12 for a 2.5gal box.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My local dealership sells both Dodge and Ford... their parts dept only carries the Motorcraft DEF... So I bought a gallon to keep on hand to save me from limp mode if I run out. Haven't used it yet but I cannot assume it is any different what-so-ever than any other brand. my .02

·
Registered
641 Posts
There is a shelf life on DEF so you might want use the sspare jug every year or so. If the fluid is kept in a cool dark environment the shelf life is quite long, but it is still better to cycle it through and buy another spare jug every year.

·
Registered
738 Posts
You need DEF which is API Certified to the ISO 22241 standard. Which I "believe" is pretty much all of them. Smells like a house with cats peeing all of the place, all the time. I guess that's what the ISO 22241 standard calls for?

·
Registered
99 Posts
I just get up in the morning and pee in the tank..Seems to work just fine lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
The service manager at my dealer said they have had a couple of 3D in with plugged DEF systems. He suggested just using the Mopar fluid. but I've not seen anyone here suggesting that. Seems heading to the highway truck stop is the best price.

·
Registered
391 Posts
the def can get plugged up from not getting hot enough also. I.E short quick trips with no highway inbetween. everything need to get nice and warm on diesels to work properly, especially with these emissions systems

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
According to the manual, any DEF certified to ISO 22241 is acceptable. All the products I have seen for sale are certified. The most common is BlueDEF at a best price of about $12 for a 2.5-gal jug.

The manual also states that if DEF is kept at temperatures between 10°F and 90°F it will last a minimum of one year. DEF may freeze at temperatures below 12°F, but the system has a heater to operate below freezing.

I have not added DEF yet but will need to soon. How do you pour out of the jug without spilling? Is a funnel needed? How do you tell when it is full without overfilling?

Finally, what do you make of this warning in the manual: "On pickup applications, you may safely add a maximum of 2 gallons of DEF from portable containers when your DEF gauge is reading 1⁄2 full." The tank holds 8 gal, so assuming that 1/2 is 4 gal, leaving the tank 2 gal short (for expansion) seems overly conservative.

·
Registered
391 Posts
They come with a "funnel" that screw on to the bottle that the def comes in. On these trucks there is a gauge that tells you the fill level. That is about all you have to go off of. Our 2011 f250 has nothing to tell you the level. so we just pour it in until it over flows. really sucks because we have to rinse the truck off everytime. and that truck sucks down def pretty fast. The only reason that i would think they say you can add 2 gal. is becuase when you buy the jugs at walmart/autozone, each one is 2.5 Gal. so if you tried to add both it would overflow. Thats all i would think maybe makes since??

·
Registered
453 Posts
Most jugs come with a funnel attached somewhere, I added 2x 2.5gal jugs of TerraCair to mine when the needle was just over the red and all went in without overflowing and the gauge reads full now.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

I have not added DEF yet but will need to soon. How do you pour out of the jug without spilling? Is a funnel needed? How do you tell when it is full without overfilling?

Finally, what do you make of this warning in the manual: "On pickup applications, you may safely add a maximum of 2 gallons of DEF from portable containers when your DEF gauge is reading 1⁄2 full." The tank holds 8 gal, so assuming that 1/2 is 4 gal, leaving the tank 2 gal short (for expansion) seems overly conservative.
I think it's just a "Safe" point. If you are pouring it from a jug... adding 2 gal won't overflow, and make a mess. I know this is an issue with either VW or GM. (don't remember where I saw it) The fill is in the trunk, and they are worried about spills. SO... they give an adaptor, that threads on to the jug, and shuts off the flow when it gets to the top.

If you are topping off from a DEF pump... it will click off when full.

Just an FYI on all of this.... My gauge is EXACTLY on the half mark, and I'm at 4200 mi. So... it's looking like the realistic number will be 8000~8400 mi for a fill. That makes it 1000 mi/gal of DEF.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts