RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new 2015 ED for less than a week, only put 300 kms on it (now at 600kms total). Today after about 20 minute drive to work, put it in reverse to back into parking spot and cab filled quickly with white smoke. Stopped and noticed a lot of white smoke coming out from under the hood at the passenger side where the cab and engine compartment meet. Left it with the hood up for a minute and it didn't stop. I thought perhaps this might be one of the regens running, although there was no notification on the dash - I have heard there are 2 levels of regen - one you get a warning for and one you don't? Is this true? Anyway, I hopped back in and took a quick rip up and down the road in front of work. I didn't see any more smoke. I have heard many things about exhaust leaks coming into the cab, and I'm concerned about the issue, but also don't want to take my truck into shop (out of town) just to have them say they see no problem and send me on my way....especially if this is just a 'low-level' regen or something.

Anyone else seeing this? Is it a regen or an exhaust leak? It didn't really smell like diesel as I've heard some saying, but it was QUITE a thick white smoke. I tried to get a video of it on my cell phone and will upload here once I get it off my phone, although it is hard to see the smoke in the video.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
It could be the exhaust system getting its first real good heat soak/ first regen. You won't get any indication it's happening unless the particulate filter reaches 80% capacity. Hopefully it's just stickers and oils burning off the exhaust components. If it happens again just as bad, maybe take it in. Otherwise I wouldn't be overly concerned. If it was a diesel exhaust leak, you would KNOW. there's no mistaking that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OiLBrnR - that's kind of what I was thinking...although it was a light 15 minute drive to work (about 80km/hr) with a bit of stop and go at the end. It's already had a few good 100km runs on the highway...would've thought that would've taken care of any kind of 'burn off'.

Does anyone know if there really are 2 stages of regen...one you get notified about and one you don't? I've heard for the regen that your computer notifies you about you should drive until it says it's done, but what about a 'silent' regen...how long do you need to drive it for? I've heard it's bad to shut down the truck or idle it when it's doing a regen, but unless I buy some expensive add-on computer to monitor temps how am I supposed to know it's doing a regen?

I hope this isn't the beginning of an exhaust leak problem as I've read some truly terrible experiences guys have been having on here with Chrysler...and being that I'd have to get it serviced in a different city I don't want to go through weeks of hassle with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
There are two active regenerations that the truck will perform. What's referred to as a level 2 regen will happen when the filter reaches 65% of capacity. The ECU begins injecting fuel on the exhaust stroke in the engine, passing unburned vaporized fuel down into the exhaust system. When this fuel reaches the diesel oxidation catalyst, which is just upstream of the filter (DPF) it ignites, causing the temperature inside the DPF to skyrocket to 1200+F. This burns out the accumulated soot in the filter. This level 2 regen will happen on its own, with zero indication to the driver that it's happening. Usually every 150-300 miles or so depending on driving conditions. A level 3 regen happens when the DPF reaches 80+% capacity. When this happens, the cluster will indicate that a regen is required, and direct you to travel at highway speeds to allow the soot to be burnt out. As I said, this is the only time the driver will be notified that a regen is taking place. The truck will complete partial or full regens over and over with the driver never knowing. Personally, this annoyed me so I bought an aftermarket Guage so I could watch what it was doing. Judging by your mileage, my guess is that the truck initiated a level 2 regen (no driver indication) for possibly the first time, and the very high temperatures caused oils and stickers to start burning off. Many people experience strong burning smells and even some smoke (myself included) the first thousand miles or so, and it eventually disappears. I wouldn't worry about an exhaust leak just yet unless you are smelling raw diesel exhaust inside the cab. I have this issue, and trust me, you can't miss it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OiLBrnR thanks for confirming the regen process, I'm very new to diesel engines and this info is quite helpful. Based on your description I'm thinking it was a level 2 regen, and definitely the 1st one I've seen in the 300kms I've put on the truck so far. So with the level 3 you get a notification, drive on highway until computer notifies it's done right (about how long is that?)....but for this level 2 regen, how am I supposed to know when it's done? Is it ok to just drive it normally, and/or shut it down b/c I'm done with my drive or should I try to hop on highway and drive at highspeed? If that is the case, about how long does a level 2 regen go for? Sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to damage anything by shutting down the engine while it's trying to do a regen. Am I the only one that thinks the complex monitoring and advanced display in the truck should tell us when it's doing this?!

What did you get for a monitoring system? I've heard of guys using a Edge CTS or some such device for about $500, but haven't looked into them yet and don't have $500 laying around after buying this truck.

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
This has been mentioned here before and here it is again

Active = fuel is injected into the exhaust stroke strictly for the purpose of increasing exhaust gas temperatures (EGT's) in order to get to the temperature necessary to burn the soot out of the diesel particulate filter (DPF).

Your truck will regenerate (active) when the DPF soot level reaches 65%. This will likely occur every 100-300 miles. You will only see the notice on the EVIC if the soot level reaches 80-90% due to uncompleted regens.

Active self-regeneration occurs when there is not sufficient heat in the exhaust to convert all the carbon being collected in the DPF. Exhaust temperatures are raised by injecting a small amount of fuel upstream of the Diesel Particulate Filter.
The resulting chemical reaction over the DOC raises exhaust gas temperatures high enough to oxidize the carbon from the filter. This is all done without any operator intervention.

Passive = the engine is working hard enough under its own power that the EGT's are hot enough to keep the regeneration of the DPF in process, there is no extra fuel burned as it is not necessary.

Based on my observations, you will not see EGT’s hot enough for passive regeneration at unloaded highway speeds. The EGT’s are actually quite low when cruising on the highway unless you are towing a heavy load,are carrying a full payload, or driving hard.

From forum member Patty:

The truck's programming will make many repeated attempts to regenerate the DPF, from a high soot mass level of 65% down to <10% when a cycle is complete. If your trip is too short and the engine is then shut off, or the truck is put in park with the engine idling, an active regeneration process stops (at whatever soot level the DPF is at). The next drive cycle when the DPF again reaches 65% soot mass the whole process starts all over again. If you are going on a road trip the complete cycle will happen many times over...up to 65%...regen...down to <10%...over and over again.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks 97hmcs - I have scoured the forums and found a few posts here and there but many glaze over the basics (even just the definition of terms like EGT - thanks for the info). It's nice to get some feedback from more educated individuals. So what's the "DOC"?

The smoke honestly didn't seem to stink much as all and for the amount that was brought into the cab it didn't really impact my breathing, although I can't imagine it's healthy. I'd say if it had any smell it would be a burning plastic. Any idea how long these level 2 regens usually take? I have a hard time believing that the 2 minutes I drove it up and down the road after I noticed the smoke when parking at work was long enough and I really hope shutting it down didn't do anything bad, but after the quick rip and come to a stop back at work it wasn't smoking anymore.

Regardless, if this is a 'normal' procedure what kind of crappy design allows the smoke of regularly occuring process to be sucked into the cab!? Is there a fix for this beyond putting air re-circ on?

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
Thanks 97hmcs - I have scoured the forums and found a few posts here and there but many glaze over the basics (even just the definition of terms like EGT - thanks for the info). It's nice to get some feedback from more educated individuals. So what's the "DOC"?

The smoke honestly didn't seem to stink much as all and for the amount that was brought into the cab it didn't really impact my breathing, although I can't imagine it's healthy. I'd say if it had any smell it would be a burning plastic. Any idea how long these level 2 regens usually take? I have a hard time believing that the 2 minutes I drove it up and down the road after I noticed the smoke when parking at work was long enough and I really hope shutting it down didn't do anything bad, but after the quick rip and come to a stop back at work it wasn't smoking anymore.

Regardless, if this is a 'normal' procedure what kind of crappy design allows the smoke of regularly occuring process to be sucked into the cab!? Is there a fix for this beyond putting air re-circ on?
Let's not go so far as to call me educated.

DOC = Diesel Oxidation Catalyst (the stuff inside the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF)

An active regen takes about 10-12 minutes as long as you keep the RPM's above 1500.

Although others will disagree, shutting down is not an issue.

Your situation (smoke in cab) is not normal. If it happens again, I see a dealer visit in your future.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's a cell phone video of the tail end of the smoke...it was actually MUCH thicker than the video shows, but just for reference....

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
It's hard to tell what that smoke may be coming from. It could be the oils & stickers from manufacturing burning off or it could be something serious. If it doesn't smell like diesel exhaust or ammonia, it's more than likely NOT an exhaust leak. I had one & you will know if it ever happens - nothing else smells like it & it will choke you.

To be safe, I would take it back to the dealer, show them your video & ask them to check ALL connections. It could be anything from engine coolant to wires to stickers on a hot pipe. Good luck & let us know what happens.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Listen to Hershey and STOP all the talk about regeneration and the exhaust leak. That white smoke is something different.

Almost looks like moisture boiling off something in the intake or outside the engine. That is not normal. if it does it again, let a dealer see it in action.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was wondering if it was from a wax based coating, was the vehicle "undercoated"?
YES, it was sprayed by Krown yesterday, forgot about that...I REALLY hope that's all it was....anyone else heard of a krown treatment smoking after install? They did warn me of the drip and it's quite conceivable to me at least that some of that dripped onto something hot.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
BINGO!

Figured the problem was external to the manufacture of the vehicle.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input fellas.

CaptAnimal - I'm not trying to stir up the pot on the regens/exhust leak matter, just trying to get some info from more experienced owners and the fine diesel truck community here, I'm really hoping all it was is the krown dripping on something hot. The info provided here is very helpful as the user guide that came with the truck had no info on the level II vs. level III regens.

Well, it happened again last night...after work drove around to a few different stores in town, little 5 minute jaunts and turned off truck, and no smoke. Drove home, just outside town, probably 10-15 minute run at 80 km/hr, stopped out front of house, no smoke. Backed into driveway, cab filled with smoke quickly from the passenger side vent, popped the hood, not much smoke there like the 1st time (when it was pouring out by the windshield/hood area on passenger side), but noticeable smoke from the rear exhaust area, although it didn't seem like it was coming from exhaust pipe - not much smell to the smoke at all...was unsure if this was another attempt at a level II regen or krown burn off, or a combination of both, so I quickly ran it back up to 80km/hr for 10-15 minutes and then put it back in the driveway in reverse...no smoke. Oddly both times this happened were only after reversing the truck, might be a co-incidence as both times also followed at 10-15 min run at 80km/hr, but both times no smoke noticed until reversing.

I really hope it's the krown dripping on something...it's conceivable as it's dripping everywhere

I will keep this post updated and if it keeps happening it's going back to the dealer.

Thanks for the input guys!

·
Administrator
9,138 Posts
An active regen will provide extra heat to the exhaust, but what you are explaining wouldn't be typical of a regen other than the increased temperature might possibly be burning off the krown.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After I first got mine I had the same exact issue except my smoke was a little white/bluish. The tuck smelled very hot on the outside and kinda smelled like paper and oil burning off. There was clearly visible smoke coming from right around the same area you had it. So I would assume it was in a regen when i happened to stop at my friends house to show off my new truck.

I had that smell a second time. No smoke this time. I knew the truck was in a regen as the mpg were reading lower then normal for the same stretch of road and it had a hot smell. This time I let the truck idle to cool down some and the smell wasn't nearly as strong as the first and dissipated a lot quicker and never came back.

Not sure if there are labels on the exhaust components somewhere that are getting cooked when the truck goes into a regen mode.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts