RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a replacement engine and I'm wondering about it. I know a number of people on this forum have put a second engine in so I'd really like to hear from them.

Questions:
What kind of warranty did they give on the new engine?
Did you consider an additional full coverage MoPar warranty extension for 5/100K miles? If so, why or why not?
Did you keep the truck or decide to trade it?

What things surprised you about the new engine, good or bad?

Thanks for any feedback you may provide.

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Vern:
All your engines were turned from the start, right?

As for the warranty replacement, since I currently have 96,500 that doesn't leave much coverage for sure. I checked about another MoPar warranty after 100K and for a 5/60K they want $7200. Not sure that is worth it, but a new replacement is much more for sure if it's out of the pocket.

Still trying to decide what to do..

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes 371k out of my first 423K out of my second. Transmission had a simple solenoid fail at 700k but its built into the board so parts and labor would have been ridiculous. Ended up buying a used with 70k miles for $1260 so we swapped that in. You need one out of a diesel and then software update to it for your gear etc.

Tuned my first one at 30k the
Yes 371k out of my first 423K out of my second. Transmission had a simple solenoid fail at 700k but its built into the board so parts and labor would have been ridiculous. Ended up buying a used with 70k miles for $1260 so we swapped that in. You need one out of a diesel and then software update to it for your gear etc.

Tuned my first one at 30k the second day one. Personally I would not pay $7200 for 60k warranty.
Thanks for the insight. Looks like if that's the case, I will only get the remaining 3200 miles before the 100K is up. Maybe I just get it tuned from the get go and hope for the best.
THANKS

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess a better question is -- Anyone needing a new engine change their own oil since the truck's purchase?
I changed my own oil, every time, along with a new fuel filter every time. I used Blackstone at every oil change and sent their report showing the milage interval between changes and condition of oil at each change. MoPar accepted it without question and is replacing the engine under warranty. No questions ask.

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've never had an engine replaced under warranty so maybe u'all can tell me what will be new and what will get "reused" from the original engine.

ie. with there be new belts and pulleys? New turbo? New water pump? glow plugs?

Anyone have any experience with a warranty replacement?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts