RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to stop at the local four wheel drive shop yesterday to consider leveling the front up. While the guys were extremely helpful and eager to find a solution, all we could come up with was a set of new adjustable Pro Runner shocks. None of us seemed confident that they would even work correctly, or fit for that matter.

Out of the corner of my eye I actually saw that they were looking on THIS forum for ideas! Haha!

My question is: Who has lifted or leveled their ED? Where and how did you find the parts to do this, and what can we expect with ride quality and mpg depending on the way you did it. A 2 mpg drop is not going to kill me...Its a truck right?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I went with Motofabs 2" front and 1-1/2" Rear Level spacers. I also added 35x12.50R20s 10 ply MTs. I had dealership install the front since it had to be realigned after install. Then me and a buddy put the rear Spacer on a few weekends later.

I took a big dip from 25-26 mpg all stock to 21-22 mpg. I added the Bluespark Pro I am getting 24 avg now.

All and all I am extremely pleased even with out the Bluespark Pro I was happy at 22 since my fully deleted 11 6.7 Cummins was avg 16-17 with level and 35's. On same daily driving.

·
Registered
755 Posts
TC like to see a better picture of your truck to see the height difference. Can't see but a small thumbnail type of the current avatar.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, bear with me...I am going to share my entire experience with this...
Of course, I do not have the air suspension because I too wanted a leveled truck so I first put the Rancho quicklifts. They did absolutely nothing as far as height change. Truck still had a 2.5" rake. I then put the A.R.E. Z-series camper top on. Now I had a 1.5" rake. I wasn't satisfied so I removed the Ranchos and put a Rough Country kit. I only installed the front blocks. I will need to install rear blocks because I now have a negative rake (front is slightly higher than rear).
After getting the truck leveled, I swapped the tires for some 10 ply Toyo Open Country AT2's in 295/60/20. Truck now looks GREAT!!! BUT..................................
now for the kicker: I took a 1,200 mile road trip shortly after getting the truck. At that time, it had the Rancho's (so, factory rake) and the camper top with factory tires. Trip was about 75/25, highway/city. I averaged 25.5 MPG. I WAS ECSTATIC!!!!! Shortly after returning from that trip, I installed the Rough Country leveling kit and the Toyos. Then, I took another road trip, about 800 miles. Probably 80/20, highway/city. I averaged 20 MPG. Now that I have been traveling mostly on my commute to and from work (about a 50/50 trip) I am down to 18.8 MPG average. The ride is considerably rougher than it was originally. Not 3/4 ton rough but rougher than before. I also should note that I am right at 3,500 total miles and my DEF gauge is already in the red! So, excessive fuel consumption and excessive DEF consumption...a double whammy!!!! I contacted the service department at my dealer and he wants me to bring it in on Monday to look at it. He doesn't feel that I should have taken that big of a hit on my MPG. ***I should note that I have not recalibrated my speedo for the larger tires and the dealer said that he will do that for me next week. Hopefully, they can come up with something to help me out.

BTW, in spite of my personally created problems, I absolutely love this truck!!! LOL It is a great looking truck with creature comforts galore! I am trying to get some pics this weekend to post.

So, IMO: get the air suspension, upgrade to a better tire (same size as factory) and enjoy the wonderful fuel mileage because once you start modifying you never know what the outcome may be!!!!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Found your pics on another thread looks like what I may do but keeping my factory 20s. Maybe my fuel mileage may not take such an extreme hit.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Cajun sounds like the computer put you in regen mode. Keep us posted. It seems that putting larger size tire affect the mileage. But the slower the tires roll you will get lower mileage. You may do a ground speed check with a known distance such as a mile post sign. The computer seeing the lower tire rotation thur the speed sensor may be causing the regen.

I don't know what the regen is all about but I suspect it has something to do with the DEF. I was standing in the back of my truck with the tailgate down and notice a funky smell then while unloading it later that day didn't smell anything unusual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts