RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been listening to the four by four guys telling me that 17" rims are the way to go when using your vehicle for off roading...Why is this? and what are the pro's and con's?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe more tire sidewall?? U would rather scrape tires than rims on rocks. Also you can prolly air down a taller sidewall vs shorter sidewall more.

cent frum my fone so don't cumplane about spelling or grammer

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes - more tire sidewall. This allows you to air down, increasing traction, while maintaining some ground clearance.

More "offroad" tires are available in smaller diameters than in larger ones, which means you'll get better performance and less chance of getting a flat offroad.

Picking a sidewall is common, but tougher offroad tires can absorb this.

·
Registered
284 Posts
More sidewall on the tire. That way when you "air down" (drop your tire pressure down to 5psi-15psi depending on your wheel & tire combo) the side wall will flex and contouring to the terrain as you drive over it, giving you more grip. Also less chance of damaging your rims with more sidewall.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also, I think someone mentioned that the 17" tires are LT vs. P for the 20's.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I run 17" for a few reasons. the rims on the 20" are out almost as far as the tire, meaning they are more likely to hit rocks. if you hit a rock under your tire the bigger side wall tire has more give to adhere to and around the rock making for a smoother ride. and the big kicker is, you can get both 17" and 20" in an LT rated tire but you are going to shell out almost $100 more per tire for the 20"

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
It sure was good and correct.

Those 20" wheels and tiny tires are for city profiling. Always use spinner hubs with reversing or stationary centers. Tint illegally dark also so you can't be identified.

·
Registered
583 Posts
The 20's are on Tire Rack for around $120 ea. That's much cheaper than I thought they would be.

·
Registered
391 Posts
not to mention, even under everyday driving. The 17's will ride better. for the same reason they do everything else better. More sidewall. the only time this would really be untrue is on road type racing, where generally the less side wall the better to a degree.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
FP3 figured it out.

the only time this would be untrue is on road type racing, where generally the less side wall the better to a degree.

That's why all the drug dealers, inner-city cowboys etc. have small sidewall tires. They need the extra speed to run from the cops.

When I read something from anyone who has it figured out, I have a cold one in their honor. C U L.

·
Registered
641 Posts
My buddies wife works radio dispatch for the Ontario Provincial Police. She says "you can out run a cruiser, but ya can't outrun Motorola". I always liked that one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
The mpg would depend on the outer diameter and rolling resistance, no idea what the two compounds are like or the actual width differences. If they are the same final diameter, close to the same heat rating and contact patch they will be pretty close in mpgs, or at least within the error of any of the inputs in the calculations.

·
Registered
346 Posts
There are LT tires for 20" wheels although sparse.

·
Registered
391 Posts
rolling resistance more or less will depend on the tire more so than the rim. diameter, width and weight all play into that one.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts