RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Having created (and managed) a few websites and internet fora I can say, with some entitlement, that moderating an internet forum is hard (and the pay sucks). But the job becomes near-impossible if the moderators bend or ignore the rules. I've had this discussion in PMs with a moderator or two here. My advice: either stick to the posted forum rules or pitch the ones you can't adhere to yourselves.

The worst laws are those that are not enforced because they engender a contempt for all laws.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
Crash,

Not a good example of a non political post from a Super Moderator. IF you want the facts about the CEO's total pay package I suggest the following Reuters article.https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gm-compensation/gm-ceo-barras-pay-dipped-slightly-to-just-under-22-million-in-2018-idUSKCN1RU2AY

What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

Please explain how talking about GM and their barging and working relationship with the unions is anything political? And if it is why not scold anyone else is this thread who said anything about GM for making a political comment?
The the compensation comment, that's just one executive...$80 million more which won't be hard as the next four highest bring the total up to almost $50 million.

You might want to consider making any direct reply to me out of the public view.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Please explain how talking about GM and their barging and working relationship with the unions is anything political? And if it is why not scold anyone else is this thread who said anything about GM for making a political comment?
The the compensation comment, that's just one executive...$80 million more which won't be hard as the next four highest bring the total up to almost $50 million.

You might want to consider making any direct reply to me out of the public view.
I can make them private if that is what you prefer. DO you want the positive comments privately to? I thought I was following the standards that I have seen used onthis forum from its early days. People respond directly to posts and there have been moderator posts correcting or calling out individuals. ANyhow, I will respond to the other items in your post via private message.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
I can make them private if that is what you prefer. DO you want the positive comments privately to? I thought I was following the standards that I have seen used onthis forum from its early days. People respond directly to posts and there have been moderator posts correcting or calling out individuals. ANyhow, I will respond to the other items in your post via private message.
It's the moderators job to call out people for bending and breaking the rules, and if do feel so inclined that you want to call someone out? Why did you single me out when a few others mentioned GM and even national heathcare?

The private reply comment was a hint for you to think about what you post publicly directed at the moderation staff.

Enough of the side dancing let's get back on subject..

·
Administrator
8,308 Posts
One more comment and then back on topic.

I seem to have to make mention of the Guidelines of Conduct" for RAM1500DIESEL.COM from time to time. Members should review the guidelines. Specifically rule #10

·
Registered
315 Posts

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Did a "Duck Duck Go" search on GM workers pay today. Do not remember the particulars. Do remember the average pay title. It was near what I said.

Now that does include health care and investment values. They also got about $11,000 in a bonus last year, in spite of the fact they lost major dollars in 2017 but did turn a worldwide profit in 2018. I do remember them talking $40 - 50 dollars hourly value total for line workers with base salaries starting in the $20's or so before adding on the benefit package. To me, granted a loser in the financial game today, even the lowest was quite attractive to me. My take on this is you are all right. I have at least one former student that is working as a Ford engineer today, unless he retired by now. He told me years ago he was doing a six-digit income. That article I read today had all the GM people in that category around the $130-170K range. To me that is mind boggling.

Still, the strike is on. The losers will be the buyers of the inflated prices their products will cost if the strike is settled in the workers' benefit. Actually, all will lose as the "trickle down" affect becomes a pricing that is more than trickling up.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Most of my town works/worked for Delphi, GM, or a subsidiary to them or FORD or the old Dodge/Chrysler. If you're in the UAW and know whats going on, fine, say so, if not shut the hell up... I have a lot of family and friends involved, it's personal for a lot of us. There's enough blame and fault to go around but pointing the finger at just the workers is not justified.

Our best friends dad was an engineer. My dad was an apprentice. When I say "best friends" we grew up with them, camped with them, and did everything with them and we might as well be family. What do you think it was like when our best friends dad crossed my dad in the picket line.

You don't know what you don't know.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Keeping up on being ahead in technology is expensive. The government pushing for better and better fuel economy drives prices. The EPA has done a pretty good job of driving the prices so high with their finger stirring the pot. Plus as others have said lawsuits and more lawsuits cost money.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Website glassdoor breaks out US GM hourly rates (starting and max) per position. The data is from over 6000 self reorted GM employees. No doubt GM professionals (engineers, etc) make more.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/General-Motors-GM-Hourly-Pay-E279.htm

On edit: Glassdoor link is dead but the link pops up to the top of a duck duck go search of "General Motors hourly rate."

Hopefully indeed's website link holds:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/General-Motors/salaries?job_category=manufacturing

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Second one worked. Though there are some hourly under $20 and hour that does not include their medical and bonus packages. $20 an hour is over $40,000 a year and then add on the value of the packages.

Now each of us has a different perspective on making say $50 grand a year. For some fortunate ones, that's chump change. For many of us it is a dream goal. It is good to know the facts. Now as for the skilled, educated worker their compensation os way above the base. Each of us will have a different opinion based on their personal circumstances. Make wages like that available for the general public and the lines will wrap around Michigan.

·
Super Moderator
3,869 Posts
Make wages like that available for the general public and the lines will wrap around Michigan.
All the skilled trades are screaming for people to apply. Most of them you'll be making as much or more than a typical line worker when your about half way through the apprenticeship.
Kids these days just don't want to work.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
For pay a lot depends on location also. Making 6 figures in cali isn't like making the same in texas etc.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts