RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel crew cab 4x4
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To me, this is mind boggling unless I'm missing something. Why would a trim level have a slightly smaller DEF tank? Wouldn't economies of scale dictate the same size, interchangeable tank across all trim levels?

Heck, the DEF tank on this little engine is bigger than the one on my 2019 Cummins High Output!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why does Ram have three different tank sizes on 1500 models? 23,26 and 33
The tank size may have to do with cab / bed size. But also an opportunity to charge more for the size of tank it should have been anyway.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
To me, this is mind boggling unless I'm missing something. Why would a trim level have a slightly smaller DEF tank?
What size is your DEF tank? I thought all 2014 - 2019 Ram EcoDiesels came with a 8 gallon DEF tank and all 2020+ EcoDiesels come with a 5 gallon DEF tank.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What size is your DEF tank? I thought all 2014 - 2019 Ram EcoDiesels came with a 8 gallon DEF tank and all 2020+ EcoDiesels come with a 5 gallon DEF tank.
According to the owner's manual, Tradesman and Rebel models have a 5.14 gallon DEF tank; all others have a 5.74 gallon tank.

I'm assuming the difference between the Tradesman / Rebel models vs all others is the transfer case. However, I can't understand why that would necessitate a capacity difference, and if so, why not just have all models use the smaller tank?

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
According to the owner's manual, Tradesman and Rebel models have a 5.14 gallon DEF tank; all others have a 5.74 gallon tank.

I'm assuming the difference between the Tradesman / Rebel models vs all others is the transfer case. However, I can't understand why that would necessitate a capacity difference, and if so, why not just have all models use the smaller tank?
Yeah, I knew they were all pretty close to 5 gallon; however, I didn't know there was a small deviation between them. I have the larger 33 gallon fuel tank, so mine might be smaller, too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, I knew they were all pretty close to 5 gallon; however, I didn't know there was a small deviation between them. I have the larger 33 gallon fuel tank, so mine might be smaller, too.
The manual doesn't specify any difference between fuel tank size and DEF tank size; it must be something odd to do with fitment near the transfer case. The "4Auto" cases must be larger. Your larger tank size might be a contributor to a lower payload - fully fueled, that's about 50lbs more weight than a 26 gallon tank.

Reactions: biodiesel
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.