RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found this video that explains it very well. I doubt if you calculate the emissions produced by manufacturing all of these emissions parts as well as replacing and all of the xtra things needed to be replaced that break, I don't they are doing a ton more for the environment. They also drop your fuel economy, by as much as 4-5mpg on our trucks, which means you are burning more fuel which causes more pollution. If every single aspect is taken into consideration, these systems wouldn't be in place, imo, and the focus would be on engineering better designs for more efficient combustion and higher fuel efficiency.

The bottom line is, the emissions system is detrimental to the reliability of our trucks. They will kill your truck eventually. If you haven't had any issues, I think you are running on luck.

One of the comments on the video: "Soot is heavier than air and falls out, becoming a fertilizer. Diesels are cleaner than gas engines in the long run. Some of the ammonia used in the emissions controls goes out the tailpipe and kills plant life along the freeways, what do you think breathing that does for you? Plus deleted engines get 10-50% better gas mileage, which means burning about 30% less fuel, which means less emissions. Not to mention the life of the vehicle is radically increased, meaning fewer in the junk yards and a better use of raw materials. It also means fewer exhaust parts made from precious metals filling the land fills. Just because the government came up with the idea doesn't mean it's based on real science instead of politics."

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The bottom line is, the emissions system is are detrimental to the reliability of our trucks. They will kill your truck eventually. If you haven't had any issues, I think you are running on luck.
...I love the fact that a good tune still filters out the soot , and injects DEF so not to pollute too much
just a choice , NoX or CO2 , no system can eliminate both .

·
Registered
646 Posts
Or you can take apart you intake and look for yourself. :)
Having made my living for four decades repairing motors, transmissions power equipment and other mechanical devices as a self emplyed power equipment mechanic, I have no doubts about what I will "see".

What I can't "see" is the emissions levels, the cradle to grave comparison cost of the devices vs the reductions in emissions etc. These videos are typical advertising. Either side of the issue is no better than the other in that they both seem to be very extreme in their convictions .... almost scary extreme.

I like facts, and web videos are not fact. They are for the most part, the bait that draws viewers of whom enough of a percentage click on side links the the video owner makes a buck or two .... or more.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Soot is heavier than air and falls out, becoming a fertilizer. Diesels are cleaner than gas engines in the long run. Some of the ammonia used in the emissions controls goes out the tailpipe and kills plant life along the freeways, what do you think breathing that does for you?
Not wanting to argue with you but there are some major misconceptions shared throughout that video.
I'll start here. Yes, diesel engines are cleaner than their gas equivalent for everything except NOx. The comment about ammonia is so false that I don't know where to begin. The amount of ammonia that comes out of our tailpipes is miniscule that it should have no effect on anything. Even if you were to trap the exhaust for a set period of time, say 30 minutes, I doubt that your nose could pick up any ammoina odor. Ammonia hydroxide, the actual compound, is fairly reactive and will not stay around for long. As far as being a plant killer, that is also false. Do you know one of the main uses for ammoinia hydroxide in North America? It's used as a liquid applied fertilizer in farm fields for most of the grain crops. If it were a weed killer, then the farmers would need to apply herbicides through out the growing season.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Ammonia from our tailpipe killing plant life along the freeways ,,,??? I disagree on that too .
do you realise how much of that stuff is used all over America
by farmers . I have delivered thousands of railcars to grain elevators who in turn distribute the stuff to farmers ,
it is a big boom that lasts a few weeks at the beginning of the summer .
-----

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not wanting to argue with you but there are some major misconceptions shared throughout that video.
I'll start here. Yes, diesel engines are cleaner than their gas equivalent for everything except NOx. The comment about ammonia is so false that I don't know where to begin. The amount of ammonia that comes out of our tailpipes is miniscule that it should have no effect on anything. Even if you were to trap the exhaust for a set period of time, say 30 minutes, I doubt that your nose could pick up any ammoina odor. Ammonia hydroxide, the actual compound, is fairly reactive and will not stay around for long. As far as being a plant killer, that is also false. Do you know one of the main uses for ammoinia hydroxide in North America? It's used as a liquid applied fertilizer in farm fields for most of the grain crops. If it were a weed killer, then the farmers would need to apply herbicides through out the growing season.
You aren't arguing with me, I simply shared the comment. I didn't make it.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having made my living for four decades repairing motors, transmissions power equipment and other mechanical devices as a self emplyed power equipment mechanic, I have no doubts about what I will "see".

What I can't "see" is the emissions levels, the cradle to grave comparison cost of the devices vs the reductions in emissions etc. These videos are typical advertising. Either side of the issue is no better than the other in that they both seem to be very extreme in their convictions .... almost scary extreme.

I like facts, and web videos are not fact. They are for the most part, the bait that draws viewers of whom enough of a percentage click on side links the the video owner makes a buck or two .... or more.
So, if its online and in a video, we simply dismiss facts? Its obvious you know very little about videos and YouTube in general. You easily dismissed my videos I shared originally when I joined the forum because they didn't meet your criteria and I didn't go back 20 years in tech to prove something the way you understood it.

You also blatantly ignore facts posted and shared by users about their own experiences with the emissions equipment.Things that have been proven over and over again by diesel mechanics since the Ford 6.0 came out. You ignore GDE's knowledge and information they have posted about the emissions systems as well. Things that make complete sense. And according to you, you have mechanical knowledge. I also worked as a mechanic, as have many on the forums and it seems so easy for me to see the issues of the EGR/emissions systems here. Based on your opinion alone I would never trust you to work on any machine I own.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ammonia concerts to ammonium which plants can use. Many field and row crop growers apply urea that gets converted to ammonium and nitrate. As another poster said, poultry litter is applied as a fertilizer and contains ammonia/ammonium and phosphorus. It is not spewing out of collective tailpipes such that concentrations would get high enough to burn plants. So yah, that is a specious argument (or should I say “sh????” Argument.

·
Registered
646 Posts
So, if its online and in a video, we simply dismiss facts? Its obvious you know very little about videos and YouTube in general. You easily dismissed my videos I shared originally when I joined the forum because they didn't meet your criteria and I didn't go back 20 years in tech to prove something the way you understood it.

You also blatantly ignore facts posted and shared by users about their own experiences with the emissions equipment.Things that have been proven over and over again by diesel mechanics since the Ford 6.0 came out. You ignore GDE's knowledge and information they have posted about the emissions systems as well. Things that make complete sense. And according to you, you have mechanical knowledge. I also worked as a mechanic, as have many on the forums and it seems so easy for me to see the issues of the EGR/emissions systems here. Based on your opinion alone I would never trust you to work on any machine I own.
And this reply, which is typical of your error filled replies to people who disagree with you is why I distrust much of what you say. You talk about facts, but present nothing but opinion. Facts are verifiable. Very little presented on this forum as "fact" is verifiable and that's just the nature of the internet. "Stories" are just that ... stories, not fact until supported by evidence.

BTW .... check some of the other posts made in response to your OP. It seems I am not the only one questioning the veracity of that message.

Among the very few posters on here whose word I would take as reliable is GDE, and as "evidence" of your lack of accurate facts, you should go back and check my posting record on GDE .... I have never dismissed or ignored their posts and have never said anything negative about them .... despite what you just posted.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think we need to start the Jeep wave amongst ram owners to lighten the tension around here. I tried it today and got some strange looks. I’ll see if it catches on. Whose with me?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think we need to start the Jeep wave amongst ram owners to lighten the tension around here. I tried it today and got some strange looks. I’ll see if it catches on. Whose with me?
Being a Jeep guy, I really have to fight the urge to wave to other Rams, especially if I see it’s an EcoDiesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
668 Posts
Ammonia from our tailpipe killing plant life along the freeways ,,,??? I disagree on that too .
do you realise how much of that stuff is used all over America
by farmers . I have delivered thousands of railcars to grain elevators who in turn distribute the stuff to farmers ,
it is a big boom that lasts a few weeks at the beginning of the summer .
-----

Too large a dose and anhydrous ammonia will kill plants. The bit out the tail pile is fertilizer. Still, I try to point mine down wind of my family ... toward some eco-nuts place. They like fertilizer.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
And this reply, which is typical of your error filled replies to people who disagree with you is why I distrust much of what you say. You talk about facts, but present nothing but opinion. Facts are verifiable. Very little presented on this forum as "fact" is verifiable and that's just the nature of the internet. "Stories" are just that ... stories, not fact until supported by evidence.

BTW .... check some of the other posts made in response to your OP. It seems I am not the only one questioning the veracity of that message.

Among the very few posters on here whose word I would take as reliable is GDE, and as "evidence" of your lack of accurate facts, you should go back and check my posting record on GDE .... I have never dismissed or ignored their posts and have never said anything negative about them .... despite what you just posted.
You know I like GDE I think they are pretty good guys. But seeing them post about a potentially new EPA compliant toon and advertising its benefits has me a little doubtful.

GDE is knowledgeable and provided a good product, but do not forget that at the end of the day they are a business turning a profit. They didn't make their tune because the felt bad for people or felt bad for engines.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts