RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2015 Ecodiesel this spring so I get no money and I bought an extended warranty which will last as long as the AEM extended warranty will. So my question is what would be the benefit of doing the AEM? Would appear that the BEST out come would be for the truck to run as good as it does now.

·
Registered
149 Posts
From the conversation that I had with the service writer at my dealer, they are legally bound to honor the recall and apply the update, no matter what. If that is truly the case, and you don't want the update, don't bring it into a dealer. Participation in the settlement is what's voluntary.

Mind you, I don't know how true the "legally bound" part is, but at least be aware that some dealer may just automatically apply the update.

·
Registered
541 Posts
There seem to be differing opinions about what the dealers are "bound" to do. Mine gave me the option of doing it or not doing it. I did it and so far haven't noticed any difference in my truck.

As to "why"? No comment .... it's your truck ... I seem to be in the minority as far as results from this AEM. Mine and apparently a few others also are fine with no adverse effects from the update.

The update I did turn down was the auto-park update, and that one was also optional according to my dealer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I bought a used 2015 Ecodiesel this spring so I get no money and I bought an extended warranty which will last as long as the AEM extended warranty will. So my question is what would be the benefit of doing the AEM? Would appear that the BEST out come would be for the truck to run as good as it does now.
Why do you think you get no money? If the original owner does not make a claim you get the full amount, if the original owner does make a claim you get a reduced amount, don't remember the number but it is around 2300-2400.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yep, as the current owner you will receive $2460 I believe. So, apply for the settlement refund via ecodieselsettlement.com. The take some of that money and obtain the aftermarket items that counteract the crappy AEM.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have a 2015 and if I were to do things over again I would not do the update. Not worth the money as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,953 Posts
Only do the update if you are going to take some of the money to get both the engine & transmission tunes. Pocket the rest and have a better cleaner stronger more efficient and more reliable truck than what left than factory.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I have heard someone say that dealers have to check for updates whenever they work on the trucks. If the truck has not been updated to current EPA guidelines they have to update it before they can work on it.

Some have suggested that if it has not been updated within the deadline date that the owner may have to pay to have it done before the dealer will work on it.

Of course this is a non issue if you never plan to bring it to the dealer to have work done.

This also may be a bunch of BS, have not seen any proof that this is true. :confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have heard someone say that dealers have to check for updates whenever they work on the trucks. If the truck has not been updated to current EPA guidelines they have to update it before they can work on it.

Some have suggested that if it has not been updated within the deadline date that the owner may have to pay to have it done before the dealer will work on it.

Of course this is a non issue if you never plan to bring it to the dealer to have work done.

This also may be a bunch of BS, have not seen any proof that this is true. :confused::confused::confused:
I would love to know the answer to this. I still have some oil changes at the dealer "in the bank" but I don't want them touching my tuning. They updated it but I don't want them messing with it now, if you know what I mean...

I may need to find an independent mechanic. Have many of you found someone you trust? Or do as much of your own work as possible?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I would love to know the answer to this. I still have some oil changes at the dealer "in the bank" but I don't want them touching my tuning. They updated it but I don't want them messing with it now, if you know what I mean...

I may need to find an independent mechanic. Have many of you found someone you trust? Or do as much of your own work as possible?
I don't think that they would check just to do an oil change. It sounded more like if they had to plug the computer into the OBD2 port that they would check. I remember also that people have told dealers NOT to plug into their OBD2 port for any reason. I guess if it's your truck it's your choice.

But if they DO have to plug in the computer it will probably tell them that there are recalls that need to be done on the truck.

You could just ask a dealer and see what they have to say.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts