RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we are all Ram fans here, but Why would anyone waste their money on a Tundra? I can see how you could make a case for a Silverado or an F series, But i can't think of one argument for a tundra. I think they are Hideous. Please enlighten me why there are so many on the roads. :confused:

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it is just the perception that they last forever. I get that the Toyota cars last forver, my uncle drove one well beyond 500,000 miles, but I took a long roadtrip with a friend in his fully loaded 2010 and I hated it. The seats were uncomfortable and keep you in a weird position and the fuel economy was terrible. One way from Denver to St . Louis we struggled to get better than 18mpg. On the way back we pulled a small travel trailer weighing less than 5000 pounds loaded and we got 6-7mpg the entire way home. And the ride SUCKED!!!
Several months later we took the same trip with my 09 Ram 1500 crew cab slt and got 10-12mpg both ways pulling the same trailer. I know the mpg sucked for both vehicles but I don't expect good mileage when towing.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have you seen Fords torture test when the drive the trucks down a washboard road? The tundra flexs the frame so much the the bed starts to slap against the cab. In another video the back window actually gets busted and blown out because the bed hits the cab so hard.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I know we are all Ram fans here, but Why would anyone waste their money on a Tundra? I can see how you could make a case for a Silverado or an F series, But i can't think of one argument for a tundra. I think they are Hideous. Please enlighten me why there are so many on the roads. :confused:
The Tundra is a strong truck with a good powertrain and better reliability than the competition. The current model is at the end of its life cycle and needs a complete refresh, so it doesn't compare well it many ways with the Big 3, but it is still a good value if you like Toyotas and put less emphasis on economy, handling and creature comforts.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Have you seen Fords torture test when the drive the trucks down a washboard road? The tundra flexs the frame so much the the bed starts to slap against the cab. In another video the back window actually gets busted and blown out because the bed hits the cab so hard.
Did you see the one where the ram almost loses control on the same test.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Can't find it on my phone but it basically challenged the tundra for bottom spot.

At the same time you have to ask yourself. When in the hell are you ever going to drive over a perfect washboard road the size of parking lot speed bumps at 40mph? Never. Some of the tests people come up with are just stupid. So what the frame(s) flex more, that doesn't make it a bad truck it just means Toyota and ram didn't over engineer a truck for stupid people that want to drive 30-40 down a perfectly constructed speed-bump road.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I get what you are saying, LCR. These test are way out of the norm and if any of us decide to drive our trucks that way we deserve what happens to our truck. Just like the guys that bought the Ford Raptors and took them out and started jumping them. Most destroyed their trucks!
My friend had an early tundra and they had to recall his truck because the frame was rusting through. We live in Colorado rust is the least of our concerns on a truck or car.
Each truck has its up and its down...
I love the unloaded ride of my 09 ram, but I hate the sag when loaded.
My friends tundra is fast and is rumored to be reliable, but uncomfortable and feels cheap inside, my opinoin.
My dads ford is rated to haul and tow more than my similarly equipped ram but beats you to death when unloaded. Which is most of the time because it is also his daily driver.
Chevy, I don't know any ups but up until this year they have very dated interiors. When I looked at one two years ago I felt like I was in my grand dad's old truck.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Tundra is the most American made truck on the market. Over 85% parts North American if I remember right. As of 2014 2500 and 3500 Rams are assembled in Mexico. Dodge is Fiat or Fiat is Dodge or whatever. GM is Government Motors. If I buy a gasser it will probably be a Tundra. They really are a beast of a truck. I like the tried and true powertrain. It just plain works. No gimmicks on the engine like turning it in to a 4 banger, no dual turbos to get HP, etc. I don't like that it only comes with a 26gal fuel tank and compared to other trucks mileage is a little less but it's still a 385hp truck that can get 19mpg running empty on the highway. That's what my buddy got in his. I've been in it when he did and he wasn't babying the truck. It does ride more like a truck than a car though. But, it is a truck. The trailer tow ratings are the J2807 standard. Have been since 2010. The big 3 make up whatever they want. If you want bling and the latest wazoo Toyota ain't it. But if you want a straight forward tough, no frills, powerful gasser that's as close to American Made as you can buy, Toyota fits the bill. My .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe Toyota will allow you to order what you can see on ther web page. I have tried to order a Diesel 1500 for 3 weeks in 4x2. They will not sell it to me. RAM only has 3 things that separate it from Ford and Chevy. Diesel, Air Suspension and the Rambox bed. You cannot order all three in 4x2. They don’t care what you want, you will buy what they make and put on the lots, Lemmings!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hear ya. One can read this forum and see that you cannot order a standard package with the diesel and get what's in the package. I'm interested in an Outdoorsman Diesel with a Trailer brake controller, block heater and that's about it. Now they make you order it with 20inch wheels and crappy p-rated tires? Maybe this and some other issues will get lined out as they settle in to production.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I look at the trucks at a show like SEMA, a good chunk of them are Tundras. Probably a bigger ratio than what you would see on the road. Why do so many of the companies at SEMA use Tundras? Are they known for being good Off-road? They are hideous trucks IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I had a Toyota truck, I drove for 16 years, and it had 340k mi on it. In all that time, I put in a starter, 2 alternators, and a clutch !

If they were the company with the VM diesel... I'd be back with them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a Toyota truck, I drove for 16 years, and it had 340k mi on it. In all that time, I put in a starter, 2 alternators, and a clutch !

If they were the company with the VM diesel... I'd be back with them.
They do seem to be behind the curve in this regard. I guess for whatever reason Toyota's not playing "keep up with the Jones" when it comes to their powertrain. They seem to just do thier own thing, put out what they consider is a good product and let the Big 3 duke it out for bragging rights. In the meantime, performance wise, the "old" powertrain in the Tundra holds it's own other than mpg being being less. But, Toyotas motto is "under promise, over deliver". My buddies Tundra gets better mpg than what the sticker said.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I have rented Tundras 2 times for business, sure it's no torture test, nor was I towing, but the 5.7 was strong, and the truck was decent.

One reason NOT to get one, the engineering is behind the times, no direct injection, so from that aspect they are behind the others.. and no 8 speed transmission.... even the first crack at the Colorado/Canyon, the dummys at GM are putting in a 6 speed... Sure a 6 speed is in the Duramax 6.6, and is also in the F150, but if the manufacturers are to keep up with, and not chase this lucrative market, and produce trucks that are a the forefront, in both powertrain and chassis design, then direct injection and 8 speed or more is the tech that's the head of the pack.
Look at the fuel mileage for the Ram 5.7, by going from a 6 speed to an 8 speed, the mileage went from 19 to 21 mpg.....

Now if the Tundra shoehorns the 5.0 Cummins, I think there will be some fans.... At the Pittsburgh Car show the Toyota rep told me when I asked him about the Cummins in the Tundra, "don't bet on it to happen"....
(which of course probably means they will do it, who knows).

For a guy to spend 45 grand on a truck, it's got to be good, and have a uniqueness to it... not just a Ford 5.0, GM 5.3, Ram 5.7........ the 3.0 Diesel with the 8 speed make the Ram unique....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Even though some say the engineering is behind the times, I'm not so sure. Toyota has had Variable Valve Timing for years, like since the 90's. Ram added it to the Hemi in what, 09? Toyota- Dual overhead cams, 32 valves, stainless exhaust headers. Acoustic Control Induction System. Pretty impressive "behind the times" engineering. Also, in this north country, on the Fords anyway, the direct injection is a problem at sub zero temps.

Look what the Tundra does with 385hp V8, 6sp and 4.30's. Pretty impressive actually when it comes to mpg. No MDS, no V6 twin turbo, etc. Pulls as good or better than the others and mpg is close enough to call it a wash with similarly configured trucks as far as cab and gear ratio.

One could say the Big 3 have been playing catch up with Toyota when it comes to engineering the drivetrain. I wonder what would happen to the mpg of the ram if they dropped the MDS and put 4.30's in it like the Tundra. I bet it suck gas like crazy but sure would be fun to drive :D It's an old school V8 design at its core.

The current Ford 5.0 is lagging behind the Tundra 5.7 and is Fords !NEW! V8 that replaced the 5.4 and is the same type of engine as the Toyota 5.7! Dual overhead cams, VVT, etc. The basic Dodge 5.7 "hemi" is old school, much more old school than the Toyota V8 but, todays Hemi is not the Hemi of old.

My point is, it takes all that other stuff to equal what Toyota has been doing for years without it. The current 5.7 iForce is a proven contender and is definitely a "new school" V8.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts