RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited with about 40k miles. A couple times while on highway with cruise activated it was if the brakes were applied briefly (but pretty hard) and the cruise disabled. Really bizarre and disquieting while otherwise enjoying a nice drive.

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Haven't heard that one yet. Are you saying that the brakes are actually being applied without touching them? I don't believe that these trucks have automatic forward braking sensors. :confused:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Being a Limited, does it have adaptive cruise control? Maybe it is sensing something in front of you and slowing you down? Not sure how that works, never had it on anything.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
These trucks dont have adaptive cruise control but the traction control and stability control are still active when using cruise control. If you hit a puddle of water or took a corner to fast that could cause it.

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Welcome - First post.

As you read above, you may have a unique situation. Never had an issue with mine but I rarely use cruise control. I'm a bit leery of these computer control features. You figure something out, report back.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have had this happen multiple times while on the freeway. Most of them at the almost exact same location on the way into the office. By time I look at the screen, I will catch a glimpse of the cruise control deactivated message.
The first time it happened I panicked and stopped at the dealer, which I drive past on the way into the office everyday. They ran a diagnostic but did not find any codes. I was at maybe 10,000 miles at the time.
It was the third time it happened that it dawned on me that it's happening in the same spot where there is a dip in the freeway causing some float coming out of it and a slight right curve.
It has happened a couple other times, other than that spot, with similar conditions. An overpass on the freeway with a hard dip/bump causing float coming out of, or into, it with the cruise set at 72-74mph.
Doesn't happen often, but when it does, it always throws a jolt in me that something just went really wrong. Especially how hard it shuts it down. Yes, almost like the brakes were slammed on for a second.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Have not had this happen in my Ram, but my Tahoe would do it like @hawgwildinLB mentioned every time I went thru a particular dip on the highway at 80. If I was in left lane nothing, in right lane cruise would turn off. Decel was rather abrupt, I imagine it would be worse in an EcoD

·
Registered
13,521 Posts
Have not had this happen in my Ram, but my Tahoe would do it like @hawgwildinLB mentioned every time I went thru a particular dip on the highway at 80. If I was in left lane nothing, in right lane cruise would turn off. Decel was rather abrupt, I imagine it would be worse in an EcoD
Oh my. Daughter just bought a new Tahoe this past week. Will ask if she has a similar experience. Never heard of anything like that on any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Hi, have a 2015 Ecodiesel Limited with about 40k miles. A couple times while on highway with cruise activated it was if the brakes were applied briefly (but pretty hard) and the cruise disabled. Really bizarre and disquieting while otherwise enjoying a nice drive.

Anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing?
I have the same truck with similar mileage.
Never experienced this and I use cruise always.
Must have been a fluke. The truck does not know how to stop on its own.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,418 Posts
It is possible that a scenario similar to what @hawgwildinLB described where the vehicle stability control causes the cruise to disengage/brakes applied. If the vehicle has had any front end work or feels like it pulls/handles funny there could be an issue with the steering angle sensor. The steering sensor works in conjunction with vehicle speed and accelerometers to determine corrective action by the VSC.
@IHAWK see if you can pick up a pattern or location that it happens, might give the dealer an idea where to look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts