RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way you can upgrade to 3G wifi hotspot to a 4g?

I use my truck for work and I have found the wifi to be very useful. It would be nice if the connection speeds were a little quicker.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would check with the dealer. It might be a software only item. You would be better off calling your mobile carrier and activating your smart phone as a hot spot or buying a separate hot spot device. It might be cheaper in the long run and provide you with better service. On the other hand, nothing beats a fixed antenna like the one on the top of the RAM. If you work in remote areas, it might give you a stronger signal. Bottom line - look at your options before spending your $$.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Probably not, at least not for a while, the 3g modem is built-into the UConnect system and 4G requires different frequencies and hardware techniques to send and receive the data. I hope they made the modem modular and will be easily replaced but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Probably not, at least not for a while, the 3g modem is built-into the UConnect system and 4G requires different frequencies and hardware techniques to send and receive the data. I hope they made the modem modular and will be easily replaced but don't hold your breath.
Not necessarily. I had an old iPhone, and once I got a new SIM... it ran 4g. The Modem is linked to Sprint... and they may have it locked down. It's a neat feature... and who knows... I may try it. But for the price... it's not worth it. If you need a connection that bad on the road... pull into any McD's... and get free wifi.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would check with the dealer. It might be a software only item. You would be better off calling your mobile carrier and activating your smart phone as a hot spot or buying a separate hot spot device. It might be cheaper in the long run and provide you with better service. On the other hand, nothing beats a fixed antenna like the one on the top of the RAM. If you work in remote areas, it might give you a stronger signal. Bottom line - look at your options before spending your $$.
^^^ What he said.

I have a unlimited data plan with my carrier for about $65/mth and I use my iPhone as a hotspot (Android does it too). My plan is LTE (4G equivalent in Canada). My kids can Netflix to their heart's desire while we travel. Really nice.

Granted, I've been grandfathered on the unlimited data plan I've had since forever, but I'm sure you can get better data plans on a mobile carrier than through the hotspot service in UConnect. I may be wrong though since I'm not up to date on current pricing.

If I were you, I'd figure how much data you need, then I'd price out how much the UConnect service costs and what an appropriate data plan would cost with a mobile provider.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not necessarily. I had an old iPhone, and once I got a new SIM... it ran 4g. The Modem is linked to Sprint... and they may have it locked down. It's a neat feature... and who knows... I may try it. But for the price... it's not worth it. If you need a connection that bad on the road... pull into any McD's... and get free wifi.
It didn't really enable true 4g. Sprint just turned on the 4g icon when they upped everyone's bandwidth because their rollout of lte was so far behind. T-mobile did the same thing when they were really still using hsdpa+ which is 3G hardware. True 4g is lte which is completely different hardware.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have looked at a wifi hotspot from Verizon. For 4gigs of 4g it comes out to $50 with taxes and fees. My phone has 8 gigs shared between my wife and I. She uses most of it streaming music and such. I run my business on the road and need to ability to quickly send emails and small files. It would be convenient to send them using the trucks wifi.

I did purchase the month to try it out for $35. So far it works ok. The data is painfully slow at times but I believe it to have unlimited data. It is nice that while I am driving from one appointment the next the wifi is on with the truck. It would be awesome and well worth $35 if it had the 4g speed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It didn't really enable true 4g. Sprint just turned on the 4g icon when they upped everyone's bandwidth because their rollout of lte was so far behind. T-mobile did the same thing when they were really still using hsdpa+ which is 3G hardware. True 4g is lte which is completely different hardware.
Yep. Several carriers are doing that with the older phones that people "upgrade" their service plan and keep their old phone. Doesn't change the speed at which the data flows just changes the icon on the screen. They may shape the traffic from your phone better to eliminate slow downs to make it appear faster. 3g and 4g are not compatible tech although a 4g phone usually has a 3g radio as well. One of the problems we face with a fractured wireless system. Most other places have a single tech for 3g and 4g so phones can go from one carrier to another, we have so many different techs for the same "4g" most phones can't cross carriers.

Does all this mean we will be stuck with 3g in the truck forever? I hope not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts