RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
You lost me at "2014 Ram". You do realize that the truck is now 9 model years old, right? Hell, in 12 months they won't be required to make ANY parts for that truck anymore.

But yes, as for the recall that's how it works. It sucks, but that's the way the cookie crumbles. I had a 2022 Nissan pickup with a recall on the transmission because they can jump out of park and roll away (and potentially injure or kill people) and the official response in writing is "We are working on a resolution. Until then, use the parking brake." That's just life. Automakers do the best they can, but they're also in business so they have to protect themselves as well.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,646 Posts
Always wondered how old something has to be to be "old".

People regularly buy older trucks and expect them to be warrantied like they were new. I think 8-9 years is old and requirements for parts do end around them. The way out of that is to have a product supported by cottage/ aftermarket industries. The Ecodiesel has little of that.

Reactions: SlowRoller

·
Registered
29 Posts
Is it a possibility to trade it in at the independent used car lot?
Can you talk to the general manager that sold you the truck 8 years ago ?

I feel your pain and hope that you’re able to find some peace in your life. Just try not to spend too much time thinking what could kill your family and spend more time thinking how can I make this moment better. I truly don’t believe any car company in the US is going to be any different. many of these car companies use the same third-party for Customer Care. I have worked on Chevy diesels and Ford diesels . Neither of them is much better or worse . My advice to All newer car owners Is to hang out in the lobby of every prospect car company you’re thinking of switching over to. Listen to the customers and the technicians talking with the service writers . Go later in the afternoon between 12 and five. choose the dealership with the highest laughter rate. If customers are laughing life is probably OK. Now you found a dealership and company for life .

The first thing that comes to mind in this situation is the movie fight club. The scene in which the actor talks about liability cost versus recall cost. Almost all dealerships are independently owned. Also the failure goes back to the high-pressure fuel pump manufacturer which is Bosch in Germany. If you buy a diesel and United States you’re gonna get a Bosch fuel pump.If it’s a CP3 it’s probably gonna last forever. If it’s a CP4 pump probably gonna fail eventually. This has been an issue with all of the diesels made by all of the companies that I’m aware with this pump in North America.I will say that it’s probably a little bit more of a failure problem on the Ecodiesel for whatever reason.
Every car company I can think of in this industry and I’ve been a part of for very long time is now suffering in every which way . There’s been over 2000 car companies since 1800s. America is down to three. We can get another loan to car companiesFrom taxpayers to help with all of these recalls all the car companies are suffering from. If we all stop buying ram trucks Then many people get laid off. The same Ram engineers that decided to use a CP4 pump Now go to Ford or GM .

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,814 Posts
Buying a used Gen 2 Ecodiesel today is risky, not as much that the engines fail, but you can't get a replacement even. It's been over a year since I sold my 2017 Ecodiesel, wow, I feel like I dodged a bullet these days! The reports of failed Gen 2 engines is rising lately.

I only kept my 2017 Ecodiesel for 3 years and 49,000 miles. I was hesitant to sell it, but today I'm glad. It was such a good running truck too. Plus after a year and no replacement EGR cooler, which was getting old, I moved on.

But on what is old to me is when the warranty runs out. There is no money in buying used trucks these days. They are harder to work on for one thing. You'll end up dumping money into it, starters, batteries, alternators, brakes, etc, etc, etc.

The last used truck I bought was in 2000, I bought a 1994 GMC c-1500 v8 350 ci with 64,000 miles on it. I sold it in 2011 with over 1/4 million miles on it. This is some of what I replaced on the truck over the years-

Brakes, twice
Starter
Alternator
Two transmissions
The whole front end steering components
Rebuilt bored and cammed engine

Long story short, when I added up all that money plus the cost of the GMC truck, it added up to a brand new vehicle that don't need to be fixed by me, at least in theory. So far it's worked out well, I'm on my 3rd brand new truck with the 2021 2500 Cummins in a decade. This CDT should last me many years though, I have an 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty on it. These Cummins are rare to fail. The 2500 section of this site is very boring. All you see is me and @Captainmal making most of the comments mostly about nothing. Even on the other forums, finding a blown up Cummins is very, very rare. And that is why I bought one. Reliability is very important to me.

While I miss the mileage, I don't have any worries anymore. When we took that Ecodiesel on a cross country 15,000 mile towing the RV, I could hardly keep my eyes off the oil pressure gauge (a real one I installed on the column). This was when owning an Ecodiesel started to get to me. All these engines failing, and for some people more then once, or even twice.

It is very good the 2000 on Ecodiesel models are doing well though, and I would consider owning one.

Buyer beware!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,646 Posts
Objectively, this topic is about nothing.

All the Ecodiesels use the CP4 Bosch pump. Many have hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no issues. Near all have never had trouble with the injector pump and it has been mostly a non-issue. The very few that did have trouble seem to have had it replaced either by warranty or with normal replacement costs. This CP4 issue is mostly a non-issue for Ecodiesel owners.

This thread is because an owner "lives in his fears". This owner has NOT had a problem with the pump. He is just afraid he might. Nothing has gone on. Guess some are making a big deal out of nothing.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
349 Posts

All the Ecodiesels use the CP4 Bosch pump. Many have hundreds of thousands of miles on them with no issues. Near all have never had trouble with the injector pump and it has been mostly a non-issue. The very few that did have trouble seem to have had it replaced either by warranty or with normal replacement costs. This CP4 issue is mostly a non-issue for Ecodiesel owners.

This thread is because an owner "lives in his fears". This owner has NOT had a problem with the pump. He is just afraid he might. Nothing has gone on. Guess some are making a big deal out of nothing.
You are correct but remember that the Ecodiesel had the potential for catastrophic engine fires, (fixed under recall) tone ring delamitation (band aid fix and no parts) potential crank bearing failure (no fix or even real diagnosis) and now HPFP recall (no fix in sight)

That is a lot for some people!!!

I love my Eco but am looking hard at ordering a Cummins also.
BTW, I do appreciate the 2500 section here and have been reading more about them.. Really a knowledgeable group here

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I would try Carmax

·
Registered
2,362 Posts

Hi: Captainmal... "Much ado about nothing" but I just got my official recall notice so now I have to do something about it.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will never buy another Ram truck in my life. I decided to create a account and post this expiriance with their care team. I think my recent experience with their customer care should allow me at least to conclude that these are not very nice people and they work totally against You. Please allow me to explain what happened. I worked 12 years in retail and customer service was always a priority and this seems to be totally lost at Ram Customer Care. Maybe people had good expiriance with them but sadly not me. Please ignore the grammar :)

Few weeks ago I decided to call FCA now Stellantis to inform them about an issue I had with my 2014 Ram. I decided to sell it and I went on Kelly Blue Book to see what my truck was worth. After I completed the kbb process I started receiving calls from dealerships and I setup few appointments with some of the closest ones to me. What could go wrong right? So after going to one dealership and giving them all of the information and in the meantime I have a positive equity on the truck and it’s being financed the manager comes over and tells me that they are interested in getting the truck but there is one issue. It has a recall on it that is a safety recall and the don’t want to sell it to someone to be liable to a lawsuit if something does happen after they take off their lot. He said I can reach out to manufacturer and get the recall taken care of. At this point I called the other dealership and informed them that I just found out about the recall and they were also interested but said I need to get this recall resolved before we can sit down and negotiate sale. Recall came in the beginning of June and we were at the end of the June when I started talking to dealerships and found out about it.

I get on the call with FCA/Stellantis to see if I can find out more info and how to solve this and they told me to give them a dealership I would like to use for the recall so they can allocate the parts! From what I was told all of the calls are recorded so they should be a record of the call. So I am thinking great, they will get the parts over to the dealership I gave them and we can arrange to have this taken carte off and Z46 recall will be wiped from the vin. Uno memento my friends, not that easy. A week later I called FCA /Stellantis customer care again trying to see if they can give me a ETA when to expect the part to come so I can have this taken care of and that where the first lies started to pop out, They told me they have no remedy, no clue on the parts (High pressure Fuel Pump) keep in mind on the last call they said they are going to “allocate” the part to the dealer. So I asked the agent if you they don’t have an eta how does that many any sense if I am trying to sell this truck and they telling me it could take weeks, or months and I am putting milage on this thing and watching the value of this truck dripping away. They did not know what to say. I asked to speak to a supervisor and they informed that one will reach back to me in about 3 day timeframe. Guess what? Week later I am calling them again and giving them same info, and letting them know a supervisor never called me and requested to speak to one, They did get me to speak to the supervisor and this is where it gets interesting. After I explained everything to her given her the case number she suggested that if I am in a haste to get this taken care of I should consider calling a local ram dealership and installing an aftermarket part and submit a form for reimbursement, So I asked okay if I do that and something happens with that part how will FCA see this as? All my fault since I put in a aftermarket pump in and they will just wave their hands and say nothing to see there? I also asked if I can get something written sent to me of them telling me it’s okay to put a after market pump in, and by the way she said that once the dealer installs this the recall will be removed from my vin. Here’s the catchy part, I called the dealer and told the advisor what she told me and they guy was stunned, He said first of all she should never told you to install a aftermarket piece, second, Even if you come to us with this part we are waiting on FCA to give us the procedure how to tackle this recall, meaning we can not do anything! That few days later that I called this dealership. The advisor guy said to me after I explained to him my concern and said well, it should not be that you are being prevented to sell you vehicle because a recall and I suggest calling FCA to see if they can offer you other options, I asked him what does he mean? So he said, well you are stuck and can not do much at the moment suggest to them if they can offer you a buy it back option, never heard of this but he said that is a possibility. Okay I went on and called FCA/Stellantis Customer Care again explained to the agent again from step one, asked him about the buy back option and he said he will connect me to appropriate team member to help me with that and for whatever reason I went a step back to another agent that I had to explain all of this again, at this time I am starting to have enough of BS I told the lady off requesting that I can speak to a supervisor, She stated she can not do that and that the case is under “investigation” No matter what I did she would not pass me on to anybody higher! What a great customer care. In the end I apologized and explained to her that I am concerned, I put a 2 year old child in that truck and that apparently the description states that the truck can shut down and you will loose steering and control and it can lead to a crash, Even if there is a 1% chance of that happening I am not going to bed that on my family and a child, if someone wants to do that that’s fine but I seen people writing on forums it’s a 5%, 7% chance for that happening, I don’t care what the chance is, I am not betting on a “maybe” especially if my child and wife is involved. Anyway waited another 2 weeks or so since I was told the case is under investigation and I decided to call yesterday 7/27/2022 and this time the auto response said to me that there is a case and it will connect me to a case manager handling the case, the phone would ring, and right away go back to the step 1 where the automated messages says there is a case and it will connect me to the case manager, it literally felt like someone did not wanted to speak to me and basically forwarded the call the first step each time. After 4-5 try’s I finally get a guy on named Mark…Explained everything to the guy, And all the sudden he starts going off reading the script that’s how recalls work, they can’t do nothing about it, to wait and adios derp, truck is totally fine to drive and if any case I have a issue and the problem with the recall happens to take the truck to the dealership, So I asked him is he suggesting that I need to wait until the truck shuts down somewhere on the highway and I possibly crash or even get killed and my ghost should inform dealership that I had a crash because of a faulty pump in a truck and it’s do to a recall? He kept repeating talking over me that’s how recalls work, truck is safe to drive, same thing over and over. I finally sked him, if the truck is safe to drive why would it state it can shut down and you will loose steering and control possibly crashing as an aftermath, he told me to talk to a local dealer they know more, Very funny manufacturer has no clue what happens but dealer does not? He kept repeating same thing over, that there are no cases of this happening, truck is safe to drive etc. I asked for a supervisor he kept saying ”NO!” totally being ignorant and I asked him if something happens to me will FCA be liable? Told him again I put a 2 year old child in that truck and that I am not going to bet on a “maybe” and that I want to talk to the supervisors or whoever is investigating the case, he said there is no case, nothing is being investigated. My friends this is Ram/Stellantis they lie and totally mislead you, when I mentioned about the conversation with the supervisor and that I hope the call was recorded with her telling me to put in the aftermarket part he put me on hold for 10 minutes picking p every 3 and saying he need to put me on hold again as he is investigating, When e came back he did mention something about the aftermarket part but did not wanted to take the blame for it! Did not even fucking apologized. I called NHTASA and talk to them about this and they told me to reach out to my states Attorney Generals Office and gave me a number to them. Si am totally will call them but wanted to share how they can lie to use and think they can get away with everything. I lost all respect I had for this company and I will never ever buy any FCA/Stellantis product in my life. I am sorry for the mile long post but I want to raise awareness.
Sorry you had or are having such a difficult time. Ram Forum good place to let off steam. I don't have any steam to let off, my experience has been great so far. I bought my friends 2014 Eco before he went to trade it in so he would get the cash, plus I even paid extra because he would have to pay more taxes as a new cash deal with no trade in, he even kindly put four new Continental tires on it for me. Anywho, He took it to the dealer and had all recalls done over the course of ownership, and recently the
emission redone from lawsuit, by the way got his own Lawyer to file the suit again Fiat instead of going through the class action, he got $13,900. And they put all new emission stuff from recall and extended warranty to 120,000 miles. I bought it with 90,000 on it. Back to current situation, I recieved my Z46 recall notification and it states clearly it is a High Pressure Fuel Pump failure, so since my answer to the remedy was written, I went to Mopar.Com and they have HPFP in stock for my Eco, around $1200. So I then went and called my favorite trustworthy Ram Dealer, key note "trustworthy " and spoke patiently and calmly with the Service Advisor who did the same side step reply, "no parts, no repair" even when I mentioned I already found the part, but it all fell on deaf ears, but then I asked to speak to the Service Manager and she listen to me as I carefully explained I really love this dealership and I trust you to do a better job than me buying the correct oem Mopar part and having a garage do it, and then getting reimbursed, plus the dealership would loose out on a couple thousand dollars they would get paid for doing the recall repair. I mentioned to her that some 2019 were getting done, she said that is because they are still under factory warranty, but it is all up to parts availability. I mentioned again about Mopar.com, she said she was aware of that too, so she said she will look into it. She actually at the beginning of the conversation didn't even know 2014's fell under the recall! She called me this morning and said she and the Service Advisors all got up to speed on the recall and are going to work on locating HPFP for me and for another person who works at the dealership who has a 2014 Eco. So I am comfortable to sit and wait, with no worries, can't live one's life in fear or anxiety. What I would like to suggest to you is to purchase your own HPFP and have it installed at your favorite trustworthy garage, submit the invoice on the link on the recall notice, then sell the vehicle yourself, or just sell it now yourself with knowledge to new owner they get a free fuel pump. I don't think you will have a difficult time selling it, people are asking to buy mine, even though it's not for sale! The guy I bought it from said he wants it back, over my cold dead body will you be able to pry my hands from my Eco steering wheel! Keep your chin up, don't get discouraged, just keep looking at different avenues till you find the one that works for you!

·
Registered
29 Posts
THE DEALER CAN NOT INSTALL A FUEL PUMP UNTIL THE RECALL PART NUMBER FUEL PUMP COMES OUT . THERE MAY BE RARE SITUATIONS WHERE A TRUCK GETS A TEMPORARY FIX AKA OLD PUMP PART NUMBER . THIS SAME THING HAS HAPPENED ON THE CUMMINS RAMS -SAME PUMP BUT DIFFERENT RECALL . IF THE PUMP FAILS ITS A WAITING GAME . JUST BECAUSE THERE ARE PARTS DOES NOT MEAN IT SHOULD BE USED BECAUSE AGAIN DEALER WILL NOT GET PAID FOR RECALL CLAIM ( PART NUMBER FOR RECALL PARTS ALWAYS START WITH LETTERS INSTEAD OF NUMBERS ) AND WHOSE TO SAY THE PART A DEALER STOCKS AS FAR AS THE BOSCH CP4 PUMP MAY HAVE A WEAKER DESIGN THAT LEAD TO THE FAILURE . MY OPINION IS IT WOULD BE SMART TO KEEP FUEL TANK ABOVE 1/4 TANK ( AERIATION ) , FUEL FILTERS EVERY 15 K-MOPAR AND MAYBE A FUEL LUBRICATOR AND WAIT FOR RECALL PARTS TO BE MASS PRODUCED ( WEEKS TO MONTHS) . THE ONLY THING THAT WILL FAST TRACK YOU IS PUMP FAILRE OR RAM CARE CASE NUMBER . ITS GOING TO FAIL EVENTUALLY . JUST MY OPINIONS AND MAYBE IM WRONG.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To the OP: The issue is with vehicles that use the Bosch CP4 pump. I got the notice about the recall on my Grand Cherokee ED. I drive it daily. I'm not worried about the pump dying. Over 40 years of driving, I have run out of fuel a few times and am capable of pulling to the side of the road just as I have done every time previously. Here's a summary of the issue Bosch CP4 High-Pressure Fuel Injection Pump Failure Lawsuit

·
Registered
3,669 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lets start from the beginning ... the orginal dealer LIED to you. Dealer's can take on traded vehicles that are under a recall, they do it ALL the time. Make sure you don't buy from them, what else are they lying about??
My thought exactly. Dealers can still buy and sell a vehicule with an open recall. Only brand new vehicules cannot be ''sold'' with an open safety recall.

I feel the pain. I work at Ford and we have backordered on probably half the parts we order. We have vehicles sitting here that cannot be driven and waiting on parts. We have a 5.0L F150 waiting on an engine, going on 9 months now and no engine in sight...It is every manufacturer's issue right now.

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
566 Posts
Sorry you had or are having such a difficult time. Ram Forum good place to let off steam. I don't have any steam to let off, my experience has been great so far. I bought my friends 2014 Eco before he went to trade it in so he would get the cash, plus I even paid extra because he would have to pay more taxes as a new cash deal with no trade in, he even kindly put four new Continental tires on it for me. Anywho, He took it to the dealer and had all recalls done over the course of ownership, and recently the
emission redone from lawsuit, by the way got his own Lawyer to file the suit again Fiat instead of going through the class action, he got $13,900. And they put all new emission stuff from recall and extended warranty to 120,000 miles. I bought it with 90,000 on it. Back to current situation, I recieved my Z46 recall notification and it states clearly it is a High Pressure Fuel Pump failure, so since my answer to the remedy was written, I went to Mopar.Com and they have HPFP in stock for my Eco, around $1200. So I then went and called my favorite trustworthy Ram Dealer, key note "trustworthy " and spoke patiently and calmly with the Service Advisor who did the same side step reply, "no parts, no repair" even when I mentioned I already found the part, but it all fell on deaf ears, but then I asked to speak to the Service Manager and she listen to me as I carefully explained I really love this dealership and I trust you to do a better job than me buying the correct oem Mopar part and having a garage do it, and then getting reimbursed, plus the dealership would loose out on a couple thousand dollars they would get paid for doing the recall repair. I mentioned to her that some 2019 were getting done, she said that is because they are still under factory warranty, but it is all up to parts availability. I mentioned again about Mopar.com, she said she was aware of that too, so she said she will look into it. She actually at the beginning of the conversation didn't even know 2014's fell under the recall! She called me this morning and said she and the Service Advisors all got up to speed on the recall and are going to work on locating HPFP for me and for another person who works at the dealership who has a 2014 Eco. So I am comfortable to sit and wait, with no worries, can't live one's life in fear or anxiety. What I would like to suggest to you is to purchase your own HPFP and have it installed at your favorite trustworthy garage, submit the invoice on the link on the recall notice, then sell the vehicle yourself, or just sell it now yourself with knowledge to new owner they get a free fuel pump. I don't think you will have a difficult time selling it, people are asking to buy mine, even though it's not for sale! The guy I bought it from said he wants it back, over my cold dead body will you be able to pry my hands from my Eco steering wheel! Keep your chin up, don't get discouraged, just keep looking at different avenues till you find the one that works for you!
Did I miss where you say your pump has failed? There is little point in replacing the old pump with the same model, the one available now, and I don't see why RAM would pay to do so. If your pump did fail, then it makes sense to replace it with the current model until the new and improved version is available.

Reactions: Ian
21 - 39 of 39 Posts