RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
That question was asked before ,
and GDE answered (before the sept. 18th EPA crackdown )
they said any , good conscientious tuner , would have to test a "new platform tune" for many months
before releasing to the public , winter months reactions , towing , etc , so if a tunes comes out real
quick , I would think it was not top notch .
sorry I don't have a link....

·
Registered
772 Posts
Yep, won't buy the new ED Wrangler till a tune is available. Did not buy my Ram until a tune was on the market.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
According to GDE, "From what we know it should be tunable but we have not looked at them yet. All completely different though (ECM hardware and software) from the current vehicle. There is no "main" EGR cooler, just one for each EGR circuit. Such a product would anyways never be compliant or available for the US..."

·
Registered
57 Posts
Anyone tried unplugging there egr? Are there any negative effects aside from a CEL? I will taking delivery of my truck tomorrow afternoon god willing fist this I will try is to unplug the Egr valve if I don’t loose power or efficiency I will be staying like that until there is a tune.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
W
Anyone tried unplugging there egr? Are there any negative effects aside from a CEL? I will taking delivery of my truck tomorrow afternoon god willing fist this I will try is to unplug the Egr valve if I don’t loose power or efficiency I will be staying like that until there is a tune.
Which egr valve the 3rd gen has two?

·
Registered
57 Posts
My latest inquiry to HD supply said 6mo to a year to develop & test a gen-3 tune.
Wow that’s the downside to buying new technology, that’s a whole
Lot of spot going into our expensive trucks with a 6 month time frame. Guess I will have to cross my fingers the old unplug method works. If anyone can try it tomorrow and let me know it would be great I’m flying to NC to pick my truck up and driving down to Florida I would
Like to make the trip unplugged don’t want to risk being 800 miles away and having issues but I will definitely try it once I’m home if no one reports back.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Jesus there are two now?
"...the high and low pressure EGR system is a clever way to steal as little of the exhaust gases from the turbo as possible (about 20 percent less than normal EGR setups). Additional exhaust gases are taken downstream, after the particulate filter to provide cleaner and cooler gases back into the system, which in turn delivers lower emissions and greater overall cooling efficiency."

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jesus there are two now? I was unaware, guess I will unplug both and see how that goes .
You have warranty, I own a vehicle with the 2 EGR/ low pressure EGR system, I haven’t had any issues with them so far ? All the small Diesel engine manufacturers have gone this route..
You’re guaranteed to have an issue unplugging/ monkeying around with them ...

Just drive your new beautiful Truck and
Enjoy IT !!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Alright fellas I took delivery of my truck and drove it down 850 miles obviously no issues I am now home and I have unplugged both egr valves see attached image, I started the truck and gave it a few revs and so far no check engine light, I am going to take it for a 20 mile cruise in about 30 min and report back I just hope they are in the closed position lol.... the process I used was turn ignition to run position and then turn it off unplug valves and start truck.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Alright fellas I took delivery of my truck and drove it down 850 miles obviously no issues I am now home and I have unplugged both egr valves see attached image, I started the truck and gave it a few revs and so far no check engine light, I am going to take it for a 20 mile cruise in about 30 min and report back
I can't wait to hear the update! Congrats on the new truck!

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Codes no codes? And a pick of your new truck. Might even want to update your Avatar. :)

Reactions: Gputah

·
Registered
57 Posts
Went on the drive no code until I restarted truck, plugged up the scanner and all codes related to egr valves. After codes and light came up I went for another drive just to see if I would get anything wonky but she drove just fine. Temps where locked in around 204 and 208 don’t know what’s normal for these trucks and I didn't bother looking on my trip down. Only question I have is I am unsure if the valves are closed or open, if the truck is idling would valves be open or closed? Does the truck startup with valves closed? I did notice that valves are the same as the previous models so the block off plates look like they would bolt up, I might order a pair and block them off and remove the egr all together I really don’t mind the CEL as long as I know the junk is out of my engine.

1 - 20 of 184 Posts