RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Please do keep us updated. That's the way we used drive our Liberty CRDs until GDE came out with a tune. On the old Libertys, the valve would close when unplugged. I put a piece of black tape over the CEL. The GDE tune really did bring those 2.8 CRDs back to life.

·
Registered
45 Posts
UPDATE:
If anyone is going to try this you need to unplug the EGRs once the vehicle is shut down, then will the valves be closed, so I have unplugged the valves after shutting down the truck and have drove the truck all day today in a mix of city and hwy driving with no Negative effect other than a check engine light, so I have ordered the block off plates and will be removing the defuser pipe to insure no soot gets by, I have also been communicating with a tuner in Canada who states he can program the ecu to not read the emission components, that is to be seen. But at least we can block the egr off and only have to deal with a light for now.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
EcoNoob .... I’m not trying to be negative at all, In the early MODEL Year Cummins and Duramax’s it was widely known just to unplug the EGR and live with the cel light.. I believe the EPA closed this loophole....

TC Diesel use to be on our site , He unplugged his EGR on his EcoDiesel and professed he solved his soot issues in his intake manifold, GDE chimed in and explained he was still getting soot introduced into his engine.. Guess what the EGR was still introducing soot into his engine....

Hope your right about just unplugging the EGR? But I doubt the EPA would allow such an easy solution again...

Good Luck, Best Wishes, Just be careful about possibly voiding your new Trucks warranty ..

Only way for now is to actually to peek into your intake manifold after EGR , maybe remove the MAP sensor after several thousand miles....

·
Registered
74 Posts
EcoNoob .... I’m not trying to be negative at all, In the early MODEL Year Cummins and Duramax’s it was widely known just to unplug the EGR and live with the cel light.. I believe the EPA closed this loophole....

TC Diesel use to be on our site , He unplugged his EGR on his EcoDiesel and professed he solved his soot issues in his intake manifold, GDE chimed in and explained he was still getting soot introduced into his engine.. Guess what the EGR was still introducing soot into his engine....

Hope your right about just unplugging the EGR? But I doubt the EPA would allow such an easy solution again...

Good Luck, Best Wishes, Just be careful about possibly voiding your new Trucks warranty ..

Only way for now is to actually to peek into your intake manifold after EGR , maybe remove the MAP sensor after several thousand miles....

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sorry about the above reply. Still trying to learn how to properly work the new forum setup.
I was going to reply that I don't have any knowledge on the 3rd gen, but on my 2016 I have had the egr unplugged since the truck turned 30,000 miles. I got sick of cleaning the tube and map sensor and seeing all the soot in the intake. I now have 137,500 miles on the truck and my egr tube and map sensor are still clean.
For me, unplugging the egr has been an effective way of controlling soot in the intake. It creates a soft cel and you can't remote start your vehicle but it drives fine and I have not had any issues with it.
Just my 2cents.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Forgot to mention that my oil stays much cleaner as well. My oil use to turn black with in about 1,000 miles. Now my oil doesn't even begin to turn until I reach 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
45 Posts

I have removed the diffuser tube wile truck was running and valve was closed can’t comment on the rear egr but that is why I stated I have ordered the block off plates to remove the decider tube on the passenger side and to remove the valve on driver side to be 100% sure, as far as warranty all I have to do is place back the tube and valve and erase code and guess what now we are back to warranty status. Also forgot to mention those black foam pieces on Top of the injectors on my truck had melted spots on them I’m guessing from my 1000 mile trip well 900 miles to me exact. So I have removed those as wel just in case. Don’t need any sudden fires. Not saying that’s what would happen but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Forgot to mention my main goal on doing this was just to make sure I wouldn’t lose power and the truck would have no serious effect which is does not. So knowing what I know now I am blocking them off for good, I never intended to just keep them unplugged. I am just sharing my experience as I go so if anyone out there wants to try these methods while off roading they can and know what to expect. I rather have a clean healthy engine than have all that soot go into it and have serious problems down the Road when my warranty is over. My buddy is a commercial diesel mechanic and is seeing new semi trucks with 250,000 mile needing an in frame rebuild. When before that was there brake in point and would travel 1.5-2 million miles. And it all boils down to all the junk and hot exhaust going into them. So again to each it’s own just sharing my thoughts and my experience

·
Registered
91 Posts
where do you get a block off plate, and how do you erase the code?
mid love to see pictures how this is done and if easy enough I’m trying it as well. Thanks

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
where do you get a block off plate, and how do you erase the code?
mid love to see pictures how this is done and if easy enough I’m trying it as well. Thanks
You'll need to make your own plates for a 2020 , no kits out there available yet ,
unless some one will try the previous plates to see if the new ones are same drawing/design .
the EGR on passenger side looks a lot like original 2014 to 2019 model ,
question is , is it exact same EGR ??
------------------------------
Plates for 2014 to 2019 EGR stage 2 delete sold here :
I'm surprised CFT still has them listed after the Sept. 18th 's EPA crackdown.

------------------------

·
Registered
45 Posts
You'll need to make your own plates for a 2020 , no kits out there available yet ,
unless some one will try the previous plates to see if the new ones are same drawing/design .
the EGR on passenger side looks a lot like original 2014 to 2019 model ,
question is , is it exact same EGR ??
The passenger side is the same, the driver side requires new plates I am working with noeco to creat the new ones but so far it looks like the plate that is applied to the cooler end on the passenger side might work for the driver side will have more on this later today,

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
If you make your own plates , it was suggested to use L316 Stainless steel .
going to find my scan of the plates , with a ruler on the image for accurate sizes. ..
---
CFT plates ARE stainless , 1/8 thick , magnet does not stick to them
I can tell you I tested that ...
2 inch 3/4 = distance center to center holes on intake manifold plate.
3 holes on turbo lower plate = 2inch 1/8 distance between 3 holes
little plate for rear coolant hose = 36mm center to center holes .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Plates will be as followed; The exhaust side plate is made from 304 stainless steel and intake manifold side plate is made from 6061 aluminum.

·
Registered
380 Posts
can you even get to the low pressure EGR without removing the cab?

·
Registered
1,764 Posts

Tc diesel unhooked the vacuum line going to the egr bypass valve which does not stop egr flow at all. He didn't and probably still doesn’t understand how the egr works. Unplugging the electrical connectors well shut off the egr and cause a cel. If one can live with the light and not having remote start thats up to them. It might also cause limp mode at some point that can be cleared with a scanner.

21 - 40 of 171 Posts