RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

161 - 172 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
I have also installed an oil catch can on my rig. I took off the intercooler pipes and when I saw how much oils was in there I decided it would be a good investment so I have since installed one and it is definitely working.
That's good info, thank you. Also, did SFK give you an idea when his tune might be available?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes you could do that but you also have to remember even though the low pressure side is technically cleaner than the high pressure side it is still introducing some sort of soot and high temperatures into your system effecting efficiency, but to answer your question yes you can just block off the high pressure side and odds are you would probably never have spot issues.
I have also installed an oil catch can on my rig. I took off the intercooler pipes and when I saw how much oils was in there I decided it would be a good investment so I have since installed one and it is definitely working.
Yes, I noticed lots of oil in my CAC hoses as soon as I got the truck home and pulled one off.

So, as far as blocking off only the high pressure side of the EGR system... would doing that cause any issues with how the truck runs?

Ideally what I'm thinking is leave everything connected electrically so there won't be a check engine light, remove the high pressure EGR tube and block that off, let it go like that. It should run cleaner, and if I ever needed service at the dealer I'd only have to reinstall the one EGR tube. Does that sound like it'll work?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, I noticed lots of oil in my CAC hoses as soon as I got the truck home and pulled one off.

So, as far as blocking off only the high pressure side of the EGR system... would doing that cause any issues with how the truck runs?

Ideally what I'm thinking is leave everything connected electrically so there won't be a check engine light, remove the high pressure EGR tube and block that off, let it go like that. It should run cleaner, and if I ever needed service at the dealer I'd only have to reinstall the one EGR tube. Does that sound like it'll work?
No it won’t work once you block off the high pressure side and leave it connect it will realize there is not sufficient flow and throw the truck into limp mode you have to block off and unplug I have tried all forms of this.

·
Registered
268 Posts
What manufactures catch can did you install? Did it need any sort of orifice to keep from throwing codes? Please give a link if you can.

·
Registered
56 Posts
It's funny... I was looking through some Diesel Power magazine articles, and this one popped up from August of 2019:

"One driveability peculiarity we did notice involved initial throttle application. If we were cruising along and wanted to overtake a slower vehicle, there was a slight but noticeable delay between applying the throttle and the truck accelerating. After prodding some engineers, we were informed that the behavior is part of the truck controlling the emissions output. If you lived with the truck every day, you'd likely eventually not notice it, but it does seem more prominent here than with Ford's 3.0L Power Stroke."

So I'm not crazy after all...others notice it too. Yay! Haha seriously though, this is another reason I'll be tuning my truck later down the road. The FCA tune is horrible.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I wonder what would happen if we unplug the MAF sensor? Obviously you get a check engine light. But, will an unplugged MAF also shut off the EGR system like it did on the 4-cylinder VM engines used in the Jeep Liberty?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yes, 2020 EcoDiesel. The lag and dead pedal is the worst I've ever experienced in any turbo vehicle gas or diesel. It's so bad that I actually filed a complaint with NHTSA and will also notify my dealer. At times there's literally a 3-4 second delay between dipping into the throttle and the truck doing anything.
Why not try a pedal commander?

This guy put on on his 3D and claims it has helped a lot with lag

·
Registered
56 Posts
I view the pedal commander much like putting anesthesia on a bullet wound. Yeah, it'll stop hurting but the problem is still there.

From what I understand, the pedal commander just turns up the amplification. It gives, for example, 75% throttle when you only give the pedal 50%. That's not really what I'm after. I want to go to the root of the problem and cure it.

Plus, isn't that device like $300? That's crazy.

But thanks for the suggestion. It is good to know that at least there are options out there.

·
Registered
387 Posts
PC would be helpful until there are decent tunes available, obviously it doesn't replace an actual tune.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Who knows when a tune will be available. Not to mention, how many won't tune them until after the warrantee has expired. This seems like a plausible band aid.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

161 - 172 of 172 Posts