RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are at a period of major change that will define the future direction of all FCA NA products, and with the recent announcement of an accelerated Ram EcoDiesel departure along with news that the replacement will be an unannounced EV Ram along with the discontinued Hemi it forces a major decision among its customer base.

Everyone's use and needs are different but with such a rapid change it impacts us all. Personally I've always believed the customer determines product choices and anything else isn't always in the interest of the consumer we all seem to forget the Auto Industry may have began in the late 1800's but horses were still largely utilized into the 1930's nearly 50 years later. Sales drive growth and failure.

What will you do?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,245 Posts
I will watch the new 3.0L Hurricane like a hawk, don't want to put up with the aggravation that came with Ford Ecoboost. The other option would be the Tundra, another new engine but I would like to lean towards in the in line 6. Fingers crossed and knocking wood that the EcoD runs for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2015 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Bighorn 4x4
407 Posts
I will be hanging on to my Eco D for as long as possible, It does everything I want it to do and more and I haven't had any trouble with it.
If something goes south on it in the next year or so (depending in what it is) I will probably go Cummins.
That being said I am OK with embracing the future as long as my needs are met! An electric truck right now doesn't really seem like it would work for me. Maybe if I re assessed my current travel trailer, not sure.
I actually have had a deposit on a Rivian for a couple years now. Have a build on the "long range model" but with the current delivery schedule I am looking at late 2023? Deposit is refundable but I am ok sitting on it for a while...

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,783 Posts
Had thought that a 2023 Ecodiesel would be in my future as I can do without the larger Cummins and would be happy with even better fuel mileage solo than the 20-21 mpg I get now. (Just fueled today and that what it was). The resale on my Cummins is stupid high right now and that kind of move would be attractive. Not interested in having a "dead end" product with questionable support both now and into the future. The new revelations rule that move out.

The new Hurricane engine would use way cheaper fuel and not have the DEF and emissions package. Of course, not a fan of gas engines but my favorites have all be in-line design. Going to wait this one out and hang on two the Cummins for now and just watch how the Hurricane engine seems to work. Since I doubt a heavy tow package is in my future it just may fit the occasional heavier tow usage I now do. Surely it will handle the frequent light towing I do today.

As I age it is not reasonable to make long-range plans so an impetious buy is not out of the question. If I do, or did on another 1500, I must be ready to hear the word "flimsy" from the passenger seat. YES! Will follow and am interested in future Ram products.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious about the new Hurricane engine, there has been virtually no information on specifics, and that can be troublesome because you allow rumors to generate. Those of us who have been around a few decades have seen lots of manufactures missteps hopefully this won't one be one of them but they are putting all their eggs in one basket.

Hurricane Concerns:
Which team engineered the motor? (Ram / Peugeot / Fiat / Opel / Jeep / Lancia / All the above)
Where is it being built?
How large scale will this be produced? (Global platform, Global production / Parts issues)
How long has the engine been in development / testing? This is huge if this has been rushed to production.

I can't be the only one with concerns?

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most rental company pick ups are not equipped with hitches. They don't want you towing.
I guess it depends on where you reside, quite a few rental companies are franchise owner operators at least in my area and every truck is equipped with hitches, which makes sense here because they tend to nickel and dime you on every add-on and so its additional revenue. The 2 wheel tow dolly that used to cost me $25 per 24 hour period is now closer to $60 with taxes but I think there maybe a fee sliding scale based on demand as well :unsure: .

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Premium Member
14,783 Posts
North Saltillo engine plant is making Hurricane. This is the same Mexican plant that has been making the Hemi.

Think it was designed by Stellantis, which is a combination of both French and Italian automakers. You can judge that reliability based on past engines from those places. Only thing is the Auburn Hills Tech Center in Michigan was the location of the Hurricane design. Guess that makes it an American design.

I am not a fan of turbos. One reason I like the Pentasutar engine. To me turbos add power at the expense of unreliability and stress on engine components. The engines have to be strong to deal with what a turbo can do to them. We should see.

·
Registered
805 Posts
North Saltillo engine plant is making Hurricane. This is the same Mexican plant that has been making the Hemi.

Think it was designed by Stellantis, which is a combination of both French and Italian automakers. You can judge that reliability based on past engines from those places. Only thing is the Auburn Hills Tech Center in Michigan was the location of the Hurricane design. Guess that makes it an American design.

I am not a fan of turbos. One reason I like the Pentasutar engine. To me turbos add power at the expense of unreliability and stress on engine components. The engines have to be strong to deal with what a turbo can do to them. We should see.
But without a Turbo your Cummins would be a Dog. If you've ever experienced a Turbo failure you would know what i mean. And yes the engines have to be strong to deal with what a turbo can do to them. With improved metal's and machining techniques "and many years of customer Guinee pigs" these hurdles seem to be addressed.

·
Premium Member
14,783 Posts
But without a Turbo your Cummins would be a Dog. If you've ever experienced a Turbo failure you would know what i mean. And yes the engines have to be strong to deal with what a turbo can do to them. With improved metal's and machining techniques "and many years of customer Guinee pigs" these hurdles seem to be addressed.
Disagree.

My 5.9 Cummins had lots of power. It was 555 lb. ft. of torque. Pulled major trailers all over the country with it, including the serious mountain passes people talk about out West. You take a GIANT engine like the Cummins 6.7 and tune it for a normally aspirated operation and I bet you get some serious power. No way in God's creation does a normal owner towing normal things need the current 950 lb. Ft. of torque brought on by a tuned engine for a turbo. My tractors will literally pull down the house and none ever had a turbo. Heck, the little Pentasutar engine has reasonable torque alone without a turbo.

The new large diesel engines are all built and tuned for a turbo. My guess is all of them would work well if they were tuned without one. Right now, to remove the turbo on one set up for a working one, does create power problems. That tuning would have to be addressed to remove the darn things.

Hope we don't get off topic about buying future Stellantis products.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Most rental company pick ups are not equipped with hitches. They don't want you towing.
I rented a small U-haul cargo van 2 years ago when my tone wheel quit. Towed my 7X14 cargo trailer and got the same fuel mileage (13 mpg) as I was getting with the ecodiesel on cheaper fuel. It was based on Chevy cargo van cab with a 10 foot (I think) box behind it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Disagree.

Heck, the little Pentasutar engine has reasonable torque alone without a turbo.
Hope we don't get off topic about buying future Stellantis products.
I was on-line shopping a possible replacement for my soon to be orphan Ecodiesel. The Pentastar has a whopping 210 ft. lbs of torque at 4,600rpm! Compare to the ED with 480 ft-lbs. at 2,100. The Etroque Hemi only has 410 ft-lbs (I forget the rpms) but that engine is soon to be abandoned too. So which obsolete choice is the better option?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Stellantis (Ram) won't do anything to make the product irrelevant in the market compared to GM, Ford and Toyota. I am concerned that Ram is going the electric route but maybe they are hoping to capitalize on the EV craze before the other manufacturers. As for whether or not I'll leave the brand, it's a moot point as I'm not going to be in the market for a new truck for some time.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I'm very happy with our 2015 and 2020 EcoDiesel and still plan to keep them for the long-haul. I'm totally on board with what Ram offers in the future, but I'm going to watch the rollout first. In the meantime, I'm tempted to buy either a Wrangler or Gladiator EcoDiesel before they disappear into the sunset.

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
The GM inline 3.0l diesel engine is a very nice package. I drove a 2022 model to elk camp in Colorado a couple weeks ago with 6,000 lb trailer. The engine performs very well, good fuel economy and they did a solid job calibrating the 10-speed transmission. The GM interior is still lackluster, but it is the best and only small diesel game in town.

·
Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,211 Posts
The GM inline 3.0l diesel engine is a very nice package. I drove a 2022 model to elk camp in Colorado a couple weeks ago with 6,000 lb trailer. The engine performs very well, good fuel economy and they did a solid job calibrating the 10-speed transmission. The GM interior is still lackluster, but it is the best and only small diesel game in town.
Do you forsee any intention to develope a tune for the GM diesel?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts