RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
144 Posts
When it comes to our daily drivers, my wife and I are somewhat biased towards Hondas but we aren't really brand loyal. When the Ram decides it's done with us (which hopefully is many miles from now) we'll get whatever fits our needs and wants at that time.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,547 Posts
Disagree.

My 5.9 Cummins had lots of power. It was 555 lb. ft. of torque. Pulled major trailers all over the country with it, including the serious mountain passes people talk about out West. You take a GIANT engine like the Cummins 6.7 and tune it for a normally aspirated operation and I bet you get some serious power. No way in God's creation does a normal owner towing normal things need the current 950 lb. Ft. of torque brought on by a tuned engine for a turbo. My tractors will literally pull down the house and none ever had a turbo. Heck, the little Pentasutar engine has reasonable torque alone without a turbo.

The new large diesel engines are all built and tuned for a turbo. My guess is all of them would work well if they were tuned without one. Right now, to remove the turbo on one set up for a working one, does create power problems. That tuning would have to be addressed to remove the darn things.

Hope we don't get off topic about buying future Stellantis products.
You know your 5.9 had a turbo too right?
Your use of the Cummins has no need for the power but I pass people who have a maxed out 14,000+ pound gooseneck behind them every day. Sure 250 hp and 500 foot pounds will move it but comparing how our old 04-05 duramax tows our loaded out gooseneck to how a 2018 Cummins does is really no comparison.

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,690 Posts
Since I'm retiring next year, the ED replacement is a ways down on my priority list. I'll have to consult my Magic 8 Ball! At this point, I'd make the assumption that whatever replaces the current truck will be an electric of some type. Will I even want a full sized truck by then? And who's will it be? Hoping things are a little more settled in the car offerings in the next 10 years or so.

·
Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
14,784 Posts
You know your 5.9 had a turbo too right?
Your use of the Cummins has no need for the power but I pass people who have a maxed out 14,000+ pound gooseneck behind them. Sure 250 hp and 500 foot pounds will move it but comparing how our old 04-05 duramax toes our loaded out gooseneck to how a 2018 Cummins does is really no comparison.
That's the issue - how hard do you really need to pull. Not how hard do you WANT to pull...need.

My old cummins, with turbo, only had 555 lb.ft. of torque but pulled and pulled quite well. Tune the giant 6.7L cummins without a turbo and you would probably get way more than the 555 lb. ft. I had. To me that would be more than enough and get rid of that problematic turbo. Parts spinning thousands of rpm's with coolant seals and intake routing just is difficult to get reliable. Many are but the added complexity to me is just not worth the possible hassles.

My old Duramax pulled the same as the old Cummins. It was such a defective engine and transmission package that the constant breakdowns ( injectors and Allison) had me frustrated and out of it in less than two years. For a recreational person the hard and fast pull are just not worth the issue of getting things with 1,000 lb.ft. of torque.

·
Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
833 Posts
I've been Mopar or no car my whole life. My dad spent his whole career at a Chrysler dealership in various roles, and I basically grew up there. There have only been mopar products in our garage since before I was born. Because of that it's very difficult for me to see myself in anything but a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram brand vehicle.

With that said, I also find it very difficult to see myself in any of the new products they are coming out with. I become more disappointed with the company as a whole, and their products, on a daily basis. At this point the only new vehicle I could see myself buying is a 2500 or 3500 Cummins. I have no need for an HD truck, or a Cummins, but IMHO Ram design peaked with the 4th gen, and since the HD's still use some of those components (specifically the cab and seats) I'm much more inclined to buy that than anything else. Plus it's always been on my automotive bucket list to own a Cummins so I guess I'll just have to buy one and then find a way to justify it lol.

I'm not really opposed to the hurricane engine, from what I've read about it it seems well designed and should be a competitive engine in the current market. But I don't think it should phase out the hemi completely (much like ford still uses the 5.0). I'm also not opposed to electrification, I think it's a viable technology which offers benefits to some buyers; but I object to the fact that it's being forced down our throats in an untimely fashion.

I am disappointed to hear that the EcoD is going away, especially when GM just updated their 3.0. Despite the problems that we all know plagued the 2nd gen, the 3rd gen seems to have ironed out all those issues and could have been a very strong competitor moving forward. I know many here have speculated as to why it was discontinued in the Ram but not the Wrangler and Gladiator. All I can say is I wish they would have left the EcoD in the 1500 and discontinued it in the wrangler and gladiator instead.

As for what I will do: right now the answer is keep my EcoD as long as possible. If/when the time comes, I'll determine what my next steps will be.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,547 Posts
The 6.7 isn’t giant at all compared to the 5.9, think the change was made mostly for emissions purposes. If ram took the turbo off the 6.7 would be a DOG and nobody would buy one.

you call your old duramax defective but that’s your sample size of 1, and it’s a common belief. We had 2 still have one and they were and are great trucks with very few issues.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That's the issue - how hard do you really need to pull. Not how hard do you WANT to pull...need.

My old cummins, with turbo, only had 555 lb.ft. of torque but pulled and pulled quite well. Tune the giant 6.7L cummins without a turbo and you would probably get way more than the 555 lb. ft. I had. To me that would be more than enough and get rid of that problematic turbo. Parts spinning thousands of rpm's with coolant seals and intake routing just is difficult to get reliable. Many are but the added complexity to me is just not worth the possible hassles.

My old Duramax pulled the same as the old Cummins. It was such a defective engine and transmission package that the constant breakdowns ( injectors and Allison) had me frustrated and out of it in less than two years. For a recreational person the hard and fast pull are just not worth the issue of getting things with 1,000 lb.ft. of torque.
Tune the giant 6.7L cummins without a turbo and you would probably get way more than the 555 lb. ft.... No way...... It would have to be a Totally redesigned motor. Maybe twice the size. All of these without a Turbo Yes "even yours" couldn't even get out of it own way.. I've worked on Heavy equipment most of my life and have seen many times what happens even when the Turbo get "weak" .

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
I am disappointed to hear that the EcoD is going away, especially when GM just updated their 3.0. Despite the problems that we all know plagued the 2nd gen, the 3rd gen seems to have ironed out all those issues and could have been a very strong competitor moving forward. I know many here have speculated as to why it was discontinued in the Ram but not the Wrangler and Gladiator. All I can say is I wish they would have left the EcoD in the 1500 and discontinued it in the wrangler and gladiator instead.
I'm guessing that VM Motori is restricted on engine production, especially since they have to build so many replacement engines for the 2014 - 2019 models. The decision to pull the EcoDiesel from the 2023 Ram was most likely a difficult decision for Stellantis, but I'm guessing they were between a rock and a hard place. Just the diesel orders alone in the Wrangler and Gladiator will be plenty to keep the EcoDiesel relevant for a few more years.

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Vendor
1,468 Posts
Do you forsee any intention to develope a tune for the GM diesel?
We would love to, but GM has the ECM lock down with a second watchdog chip inside. No way around it at this time. Over the air flash updates would also be an issue with this latest generation. GM did a bang up job on locking out the after-market.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
We are at a period of major change that will define the future direction of all FCA NA products, and with the recent announcement of an accelerated Ram EcoDiesel departure along with news that the replacement will be an unannounced EV Ram along with the discontinued Hemi it forces a major decision among its customer base.

Everyone's use and needs are different but with such a rapid change it impacts us all. Personally I've always believed the customer determines product choices and anything else isn't always in the interest of the consumer we all seem to forget the Auto Industry may have began in the late 1800's but horses were still largely utilized into the 1930's nearly 50 years later. Sales drive growth and failure.

What will you do?
Hi: TexasJoe... I'll just stay stuck!!! I'm still in the "Countdown stage" No start in 159 km. "What can I do"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Hi: TexasJoe... I'll just stay stuck!!! I'm still in the "Countdown stage" No start in 159 km. "What can I do"!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
You need a new dealer who can properly diagnose and make the necessary repair. It could be something as simple as a faulty sensor.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
The HO version of the 3.0l Hurricane at a predicted 500hp and 475lb ft of torque should be an impressive option. Time will tell ??
But, but, but....it's not a diesel. 😢

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
120 Posts
The HO version of the 3.0l Hurricane at a predicted 500hp and 475lb ft of torque should be an impressive option. Time will tell ??
I'd like to see a side-to-side hurricane against any of the CTD's from day one with a trailer and 8k-12k load pulled every time it cranks up, I got a feeling they're going to be a lot of people that'll miss their diesels, yes you can get the numbers out of the smaller displacement engines, but it comes with a price and most likely diminished durability, from a performance guru's standpoint they are neat and impressive, but I'm wondering how "practical" they'll prove themselves in the above type scenario, guess time will tell, BTW, not opposed to the idea, before I acquired my Eco, I was giving the Ford f-150 with the ecoboost a good look, the biggest letdown for me on the f-150, was everyone I test drove showed dismal fuel economy (11-13.5 mpg, and the best one was just over 14) not impressed:(, but I will say they would pull like a bear :oops: and I know I can drive my Eco like I stole it and always get in the 20's, and even in the mid to upper teens towing depending on trailer and load(y)

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,547 Posts
When the ecoboost came out everyone said they wouldn’t last. Those little motors are built like a brick poo house. The turbos do what they do, if you use the power you use the fuel. If you can keep your toes out of the injectors they aren’t that hard on the fuel… but it’s tuff not to want to smash on it!

·
Registered
142 Posts
I did switch and so far I think I made the right decision for a daily driver. When I go to trade my one ton for a new one I will look at them again and gm and witch ever gives me the best price that’s what I will go with.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts