RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I did switch and so far I think I made the right decision for a daily driver. When I go to trade my one ton for a new one I will look at them again and gm and witch ever gives me the best price that’s what I will go with.
What did you end up with?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've always preferred the interior and exterior styling of MOPAR vehicles over Ford and GM. So, they'll always be the default, but future vehicles still have to be good and meet my needs for me to stay with them.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,546 Posts
Keep putting a lipstick on a pig is still a pig. Same can be said about gas engines with turbos. Speed yes, pull no. Can't match diesel in towing department. And that is what trucks are really suppose to do. Pull.
I’m not sure I follow all the lipstick and pigs, but turbo gas motors got plenty of PULL! Ecoboost the Chevy 2.7 I-4 and soon the hurricane will be living proof.

can you imagine a 6.7 liter ecoboost? Maybe not the fuel economy but no shortage of PULL.

·
Registered
2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 4x4 CC Laramie
994 Posts
^ I knew someone will say that. Maybe I am just a die hard diesel fan. Grown up around them. Work on them for living. All my 6 vehicles are diesel haven't owned a gas engine for 20 plus years now. If it ain't a diesel it ain't an engine for me. Unless it's a gas sports/muscle car that's a different story.

·
Registered
2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel, Limited, 4x4, crew cab, air ride
25 Posts
I'm watching this march to woke-ville and will NOT be purchasing a new vehicle any time soon. I'm not going to purchase any hybrid or full electric car/truck. I'm fairly certain we are going to see a shift in the auto markets "demand" for green energy cars once the batteries start failing and A. Blow up and cause massive fires and recalls (this is aimed at GM as they are known for electrical garbage) and B. horrific costs associated with the repair/replacement of batteries and wiring as well as the computers that run the systems.

I'm actually pretty happy with my work truck that is a 2015 2500 with a 6.4 Hemi. It sucks the fuel down but is super reliable. The Wife's ecodiesel will have to prove it's worth a little more before I decide to keep or sell once the bumper to bumper is nearly up. Things are changing boys, keep your eye on the ball!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've decided to kick the can down the road at least a couple of years & then look at the options at that time.

I'm very happy with my 2020 gen-3 ED. I can't tell you how much I like this truck, but I was coming up to a crossroad with it. I took delivery of it in Dec of 2019 & the three-year bumper to bumper warranty was close to expiring. The truck only has 19000 miles on it due to several reasons and is like new. After seeing the news of the ED being killed off, along with the three-year window closing down, I decided to take out an extended warranty and then see what things look like two or three years from now.

I may stick with Ram when the time comes to change trucks, but that remains to be seen at this point. Things are changing so fast in the automotive world right now that it's almost impossible to predict what will or won't be available two or three years from now. I'm fairly sure I will be moving on from my ED in the next three years, simply because the parts & service for them will probably be getting harder to come by as time goes on, after all these engines only had an eight-year run between the two generations of them & the Gen-3's only had two years in the ram 1500's.

Tough call, but that's what my crystal ball told me to do!

·
Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
79 Posts
I've decided to kick the can down the road at least a couple of years & then look at the options at that time.
Right now, that seems to be inarguably the best choice. The NY Times did a long piece today on the state of current automobile pricing, both new and used. All of the pressure in the future is going to be towards reducing the excessive profits the dealers are making on both today, especially after supply chain and chip shortages are finally put to rest.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd like to see a side-to-side hurricane against any of the CTD's from day one with a trailer and 8k-12k load pulled every time it cranks up, I got a feeling they're going to be a lot of people that'll miss their diesels, yes you can get the numbers out of the smaller displacement engines, but it comes with a price and most likely diminished durability, from a performance guru's standpoint they are neat and impressive, but I'm wondering how "practical" they'll prove themselves in the above type scenario, guess time will tell, BTW, not opposed to the idea, before I acquired my Eco, I was giving the Ford f-150 with the ecoboost a good look, the biggest letdown for me on the f-150, was everyone I test drove showed dismal fuel economy (11-13.5 mpg, and the best one was just over 14) not impressed:(, but I will say they would pull like a bear :oops: and I know I can drive my Eco like I stole it and always get in the 20's, and even in the mid to upper teens towing depending on trailer and load(y)
Why would you compare a gasser to a Cummins Diesel towing 8-12k ?? Thats like comparing the ED to a 6.7 cummins towing. The Hurricane is just an option since the ED is being discontinued

·
Premium Member
2016 Big Horn 4X4 Engine and Transmission tuned by no longer available (but truck runs good)
120 Posts
Why would you compare a gasser to a Cummins Diesel towing 8-12k ?? Thats like comparing the ED to a 6.7 cummins towing. The Hurricane is just an option since the ED is being discontinued
FCA, Whelp looks like I got egg on my face again😳, I was thinking I had read or seen here or somewhere where people were comparing the Hurricane's numbers with the CTD's🥴 and obviously that would be a completely unfair comparison (y);)

not opposed to the Idea of the Hurricane or the Ecoboost, but had high hopes for the 1/2 ton diesel market, and still prefer diesels for pulling heavy loads

the small displacement engines with "power adders" are intriguing to me, even investigated getting into an ecoboost, but every one of them I test drove showed dismal mileage:oops:

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,846 Posts
People tend to forget that the Cummins 6.7 is a medium duty semi truck engine unlike even the 6.4L Hemi. Hard to compare engines to each other when they're not even in the same class.
even investigated getting into an ecoboost, but every one of them I test drove showed dismal mileage
Much like the EcoBoost name implies, it's either Eco or Boost. Going off the mileage on a test driven vehicle is misleading as people will be "testing" how they drive. As with any forced induction gas motor, it's easy to get them to drink lots of fuel. Even the EcoDiesel fuel economy goes up when driven at slower speeds.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
People tend to forget that the Cummins 6.7 is a medium duty semi truck engine unlike even the 6.4L Hemi. Hard to compare engines to each other when they're not even in the same class.

Much like the EcoBoost name implies, it's either Eco or Boost. Going off the mileage on a test driven vehicle is misleading as people will be "testing" how they drive. As with any forced induction gas motor, it's easy to get them to drink lots of fuel. Even the EcoDiesel fuel economy goes up when driven at slower speeds.
Hi: Crash68... Speaking of "Class", just when I got to middle class, they cancelled it!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Diesels are for torque and towing - which is why I bought the ECO. Have towed a TT out west with gas engine truck, and there is no comparison with driveability. Gas engine, foot on the floor going up mountain passes, 25-30 MPH, 7 MPG. ECO - plenty of power to spare, up the same mountain passes at the posted speed limit, double the MPG - and with a heavier TT.
When my ECO is ready for another owner in hopefully another 100,000 miles (or more), I'll see what the market has in a diesel truck. I don't need the moster torque of a 3/4 ton diesel truck, but at this point will not consider either a gas engine for towing or an electric vehicle.

·
Registered
21 1500 ED Limited 4x4
82 Posts
You guy's will all get Tesla Semi's and like it. Hope fully you won't be in Calli so you are allowed to charge it... Besides, You won't have time to worry about towing your trailers -- you'll be busy trying to find food...

·
Registered
2019 RAM 1500 Classic Tradesman 4X2 EcoDiesel
648 Posts
The dealers don't make money on new vehicles! Just ask them. o_O:censored:
LOL! They should do OK with a $10K markup! It might have been different when I got nearly $4K off my Accord. KBB lists private party value at what the MSRP was four years ago.
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

41 - 60 of 68 Posts