RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

my question today is dealing with winter fronts, especially when to remove and if it would benefit to remain on all year.

I drive a 2014 EcoDiesel Laramie Longhorn. The truck was purchased in January with around 90k, used.
After purchasing, Installed a Fia winter front, in an effort to lower heating times and eliminate how much carbon that fills the DPF in lower temps.

I live in Michigan, so temps have been anywhere from 0-30 F over the last 3 months.
I do ALOT of short city trips and I’ve noticed I have to do a regen about once every 1.5-2 weeks.
With the spring approaching and temps anticipated to be 40-55 during the day, would KEEPING the winter front on be beneficial to my truck? Would this help heat it up faster and continue to eliminate the soot that accumulates? Would it damage the engine or be unwise to keep a front on during higher temps? Seems like it would be beneficial if I’m doing a lot of city driving and short trips.

thanks for any input!

·
Administrator
8,643 Posts
It's not recommended to use it with temps above 32

Winter Front Usage
A winter front or cold weather cover is to be used in
ambient temperatures below 32°F (0°C), especially during
extended idle conditions to reduce condensation
build-up within engine crankcase. If a winter front or
cold weather cover is to be used, a percentage of the total
grille opening area must be left uncovered to provide
sufficient air flow to the charge air cooler and automatic
transmission oil cooler. The percentage of opening must
be increased with the increasing ambient air temperature
and/or engine load. If the cooling fan can be heard
cycling frequently, increase the size of the opening in the
winter front. A suitable cold weather cover is available
from your MOPAR® dealer.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'm in Michigan too, and I took mine off a couple of weeks ago when temps one day were hitting near 60. Its Michigan, so I still expect occasional snow, etc, but the average will continue to climb above 32 degrees until dropping back below 32 average in about November/December.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kirk ,
soot accumulation and winter front are not related together .
it is mostly to prevent ice build-up in your inter cooler , the fact that it helps to get truck up to temp faster is just a bonus .
Now that the temps don't go under freezing much , It's not a bad time to remove and clean the cover , and store it until next fall .

·
Super Moderator
4,321 Posts
Michigander here also, if your not on the freeway or If you keep the speed at/under 70mph and not accelerate hard, you can get away with leaving the winter front on into the mid 40°F
You may see the coolant push 210°F and the oil 220°F but that's nothing considering you'll be 10°F higher on both when towing in the summer (no winter front of course).
If your making a lot of short trips, I wouldn't worry about removing the winter front till the weather starts staying above freezing.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Mine is still on in upstate NY, today it got up to almost 50F and I took a long drive for a bit over a hour each way with quite a bit of freeway at 70 mph. My temps stayed down were they should on the truck. With it on the warmup is so much faster then without it. I leave mine on till the water temp starts pushing 220F unless I'm going to be towing.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would remove it once the weather is close to or above melting, what ever that is in F. the big indicator on my HD truck that its time to remove the front, the fan comes on under very light load when driving. If you hear the fans coming on for no reason, time to ditch the front.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I even remove mine in winter if towing. I usually tow until oil and coolant temps reach normal, then pull over, remove it and put in the back seat. Supposed to get 3 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow, but I'll leave it off for now. It's Spring, right?

·
Registered
376 Posts
I moved a mini excavator this winter and never removed the cover water temp never exceeded 210F.
It was a short haul about 15 miles and never got over 55mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts