RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I know, this should be the last thing on my mind mid July, but I'm thinking about ordering a second set of rims and some winter tires. I ordered the upgraded factory tires with the ED but I am just wondering what you guys think. Are those good enough here in the great white North where we see a ton of snow/ice or should I get dedicated winter tires? And if so, what is the best truck option?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
In the snow zone winter could make an appearance in as little as 2 months, so it's not too early to think of tires.

What are "upgraded" factory tires? I thought the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A was the only tire available for the ED. I have not tried these tires in the winter but they do not get very good reviews and they do not look like winter tires.

I like studless winter tires and have had good luck with several brands. I already changed to Nokian Rotiiva AT in LT285/70R17 size which are new winter-rated, all-year tires. There are a few other choices in this category depending on your wheel size.

If you prefer dedicated winter wheels and tires, there are many choices. Bridgestone, Michelin and Nokian are probably the best. The exact choice depends on availability, budget and local conditions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not crazy to me. I have been surfing winter tires myself tonight for my new Eco here in Minnesota. I believe FWD with good winter tires outperforms 4 wheel drive with all seasons. I will be getting Blizzaks for mine and they often sell out. 8 tires run six months each lasts almost as long as 4 tires run all year and stopping,cornering and safety will be vastly better. I tried to get by on my Subaru AWD I sold last winter with all seasons and it was a mistake.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Plus 34 Celsius here today so not thinking much about winter tires, but if you do much winter driving I would recommend getting actual winter tires. I have already purchased a set of Sport 20" rims from a 2013 and will be purchasing and installing winters, probably Blizzaks as I have had great success with them. Only problem, I have to purchase a set of 2014 TPM sensors as the 2013 sensors don't work. I know as I tried them already.

·
Registered
351 Posts
How do the stock all season Goodyear SR-A's compare to a tire like the BFG All-Terrain KOs in deeper snow? Also, is the low air dam below the bumper a problem in winter on these trucks?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'll say this once:

If you live in an area that sees real winter - and you do, 'cause I'm looking at ALL of you, Canada...

Run. Dedicated. Winter. Tires.

They have dedicated tread cuts and compounds meant to deal with colder temps, ice, etc. occasional use of All Season tires is fine, and if I'm honest, I run all-seasons year round on our cars (except the Z4 - summer performance tires), but in the Seattle area, it might snow 2 inches all winter...which means 2 1-inch days...LOL Everything shuts down and we stay home (yippie, snow day!).

You want safety - winter tires.
Want better traction - winter tires.
You feeling lucky - all seasons.
You feeling stupid - summer tires.

In fact, since I'm spending your money here, I'm going to spec winter tires on dedicated winter rims. I personal like this combo and used to run it when we lived in Nova Scotia on all our cars. Expensive, yes, but easy to swap tire sin my driveway each season, no added trip to the garage, costs, etc. Keeps non-winter rims minty fresh. lets you play with hubcaps on steelies to ham it up a bit in the winter...though honestly, does anyone even make 20 inch hubcaps?! Spinners, preferably...

You'll notice with winter tires you fuel economy suffer a smidge, but it'll be buried under "winter" diesel in Northern areas, as that has a bigger effect on range/economy.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How do the stock all season Goodyear SR-A's compare to a tire like the BFG All-Terrain KOs in deeper snow? Also, is the low air dam below the bumper a problem in winter on these trucks?
No. Comparison. Not even in the same league. That'd be like suggesting the US switch from the Bald Eagle as a national symbol to a SeaGull "because they're on both coasts".

The A/T tires will out perform the all-seasons every time in deep snow - especially if they are the newer models with siping. older ones performed well in deep snow, but not as well in light snow. I know, I used to run them on my jeeps. I switched to Goodyear Wrangler DuraTracs - THOSE performed much better in light snow, about 95% as well in deep snow, were quiet(-ish) on the highway and nearly a perfect tire for me.

Holy crap - just asking that question makes me want to fly to PA, find you, take you for a coffee and have a chat. ;)

Similar comparisons might include:

• Making a milkshake in a blender v. a large bucket and ceiling fan.
  • Comparing a Yugo to ANY CAR.
  • Comparing a trip in First Class on a train to packing your luggage on a herd of goats, and wearing your Louis Vuitton jacket.
  • Comparing any team in the NFL to the Seattle Seahawks (I can claim this with impunity through the Super Bowl in 2015. ;) Winner's rights!)
  • Comparing the majesty of the mountains to a pile of gravel in a field.

I'm sure you get my drift, but I'll prattle on a bit more... :D

• Comparing a left shoe to a right shoe and suggesting "they're both shoes and should fit on each foot the same".
  • Comparing any candy to chocolate and suggesting that in any way it could possible be superior.
  • Comparing a biplane to a rocket ship.
  • Comparing a great white shark to...well, honestly, I don't think anyone would mistakenly compare one of these to anything else...

Oh, and the airdam will only be a problem in two instances I can think of:

1- too much snow builds up causing enough drag to stop the truck - the airdam will help the snow build us
2 - the airdam breaking off because too much snow built up and its fasteners weren't intended to manage that level of force.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I've found the BFG ATs and Cooper AT3's to do alright in the snow ... those Goodyear DuraTracs are a popular year round tire that also do well, just haven't owned a set, yet.
Concern for the air dam is for breakage in relatively deeper plowed snow or drifts. Just wondering how the stock air dam compared to an ARB winch mount bumper for structural integrity when the driveway is plowed in? A set of second wheels for winter tires would be great, but the TPMS sensors add to the cost.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have run Blizzaks for many years, my wife can not drive on ice without them. . I have come to like being able to go on ice when needed.

I will be buying dedicated winter set for the new truck.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the reply...I've found the BFG ATs and Cooper AT3's to do alright in the snow ... those Goodyear DuraTracs are a popular year round tire that also do well, just haven't owned a set, yet.
Concern for the air dam is for breakage in relatively deeper plowed snow or drifts. Just wondering how the stock air dam compared to an ARB winch mount bumper for structural integrity when the driveway is plowed in? A set of second wheels for winter tires would be great, but the TPMS sensors add to the cost.
No comparison. Steel plate bumper or a piece of plastic. Both will survive, one will survive longer and under more stressful conditions. ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know a lot of guys with DuraTracs. They are a nice tire for sure.The only negative that I have heard about them is the road noise on the highway. Is it really that bad? Do they perform well on ice? Here we deal with a lot of icy road conditions with the freeze/thaw days throughout winter. I had dedicated winter tires on my last truck and they were definitely better than the all seasons I ran during the summer/fall months. I will likely get some in the next month or so as if I go with the Blizzaks I would like to make sure I get a set before they are sold out as Ron said.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Honestly, all last winter I drove my previous '13 with zero issues with the stock rubbers. It was one of the worst winters we've seen in a long time in upstate NY to boot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'll say this once:

If you live in an area that sees real winter - and you do, 'cause I'm looking at ALL of you, Canada...

Run. Dedicated. Winter. Tires.

They have dedicated tread cuts and compounds meant to deal with colder temps, ice, etc. occasional use of All Season tires is fine, and if I'm honest, I run all-seasons year round on our cars (except the Z4 - summer performance tires), but in the Seattle area, it might snow 2 inches all winter...which means 2 1-inch days...LOL Everything shuts down and we stay home (yippie, snow day!).

You want safety - winter tires.
Want better traction - winter tires.
You feeling lucky - all seasons.
You feeling stupid - summer tires.

In fact, since I'm spending your money here, I'm going to spec winter tires on dedicated winter rims. I personal like this combo and used to run it when we lived in Nova Scotia on all our cars. Expensive, yes, but easy to swap tire sin my driveway each season, no added trip to the garage, costs, etc. Keeps non-winter rims minty fresh. lets you play with hubcaps on steelies to ham it up a bit in the winter...though honestly, does anyone even make 20 inch hubcaps?! Spinners, preferably...

You'll notice with winter tires you fuel economy suffer a smidge, but it'll be buried under "winter" diesel in Northern areas, as that has a bigger effect on range/economy.

Plus 1 from the great white north!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have had the Blizzaks on cars and they seem to do well on ice, next to new studs. If you don't have a second set of wheels, what is the typical cost for changing out the tires? Around $40?

But I guess comparing the Blizzaks to studs would be like comparing the Seahawks' one superbowl win to the Steelers' six wins.:)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One of the cheaper local tire shops here were charging me around $85 (CAN) per swap before I got the second set of rims with my last truck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can tell you from personal experience, the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A's Suck in snow Period!! I switched to Michelin LTX MS2 tires on my 2011 Ram and it is night and day. I had the Michelin's installed before I took delivery on my ED. They perform excellent in the snow and really great in Heavy Rain (Calgary Pool Flooded Streets 2013). I run true snow tires on all my other vehicles, but after a couple of bad winters here with the Michelin's on, I have no need for full snow tires on this Truck. Slowing down and using common sense in the bad conditions gets you to work and back alive...Hope that helps!!:)

·
Registered
132 Posts
the air dam has been a problem for me, they tend to break when backing up in deep snow especially when cold. As for tires I used to run michelin MS2's all year, but switched a couple years ago to a dedicated winter tire and will never go back. I travel a lot of icy woods roads.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That makes sense Woodsman. I am doing 90% Hi-way 10% City, so they have worked well for me. If I were doing the same I would also run snows full on...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had Goodyear DuraTracs for a few years and I love them. Currently, I run them year round (on my '05 Sierra) but since I don't see much off road during the summer I'll probably get another set on steal rims for winter and keep the stock tires/rims for the summer (still waiting for my outdoorsman ED). What I like about the duratracs is they have a nice combination of aggressive lugs which work really well in fresh snow (before the plows have been out) and biting edges which work really well on ice (after the plows have been out). There is a little more noise, but any aggressive tread will be louder than a highway tire. Personally I stopped noticing it after a couple weeks. Just background noise. FYI: 20" duratracs are significantly more expensive than 17" (+$80/tire locally) - another reason for me to by 17" steel rims for winter).

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
I have started looking at winter tires too. My truck has the 20" wheels and I will order a spare set of 17 or 18" rims. Most tire sites recommend a narrower tire for winter than summer for best winter traction. Probably will get plain steel if available. They do not suffer from the bead corrosion and air leakage problem after a few years like the aluminum wheels do when they get significant exposure to salt. Trying to find an acceptable 17-18" wheel tire combination close to the same circumference as the 20s. I had the continental winter tires on my 2wd Grand caravan and they were great. Ran them 3 winters and about 16,000 miles and sold them with the vehicle with more than half the tread left.

I guess I am in a minority liking the stock goodyears for non winter use. I was looking on a couple sites and they are about half the price as the Michelins many like and both are rated 500AB. One site had them for $121 and free shipping on 4 so I think they are good value for money.

ANyhow, since I plan to keep the truck for quite a while the cost of an extra set of wheels and winter tires is not much and the performance of true winter tires is so much better.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts