RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So salesperson just tried to tell me you will be able to add wireless CarPlay to Connect 4C in a limited they are trying to sell me (also told me you HAVE to have 22" wheels on them or they dont look right). Has this been confirmed as I recall reading about needing new hardware???

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,566 Posts
There are aftermarket wireless adapters coming out for both CarPlay and Android Auto.
For CarPlay the adapters are Carlinkit and CPLAY2air, from what I've read the Carlinkit is better of the two.
For AndroidAuto the adapter is AAWireless, this is just now in the initial roll out stages but the development team is top notch and makes several well developed apps. I have one coming that I probably won't see for about two months(part delays for production).
Either one are basically the same, you have an adapter that plugs into the radio USB port and an app to load on your phone.

·
Registered
514 Posts
We have the CPLAY2air in my wife's 2020 Jeep Cherokee Trail Hawk with the UConnect system and it's flawless. The unit is plugged into a USB port in the center console and she keeps her phone in her purse and all the CarPlay functions work just like the phone is plugged in through the Lightning port.

So 1 vote for CPLAY2air (y)

Bob

Reactions: Crash68 and tjl1972

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are aftermarket wireless adapters coming out for both CarPlay and Android Auto.
For CarPlay the adapters are Carlinkit and CPLAY2air, from what I've read the Carlinkit is better of the two.
Thanks for that info as it will help me grab an in stock truck if I find the right deal - but am interested in knowing if UConnect 5 will be able to upgrade in the 12" screen with Connect 4C? Or if Wireless CarPlay is even confirmed for 2022 models???

·
Administrator
5,566 Posts
@tjl1972 it's anyone's guess if things will be upgradable, it's a good probability. When the 8.4 UConnect came out in '14 they said there was going to be an update to support for AndroidAuto/CarPlay, that never happened and it wasn't uni a different radio came out in '18 did that actually happen.

·
Administrator
5,566 Posts
Will this adapter thingy work on 8.4 Uconnect as well?
The radio itself has to support AndroidAuto/CarPlay for either of the adapters to work. In the 8.4 radios those would be anything from the '18 model year and newer.
It is possible to upgrade the radio in the '14-'17 trucks to a newer +'18 model(UAQ/UAS). The '14 trucks have a known issue of the heated seat/steering wheel soft-keys not working on the radio. There is also an upgraded USB hub that's required with an adapter harness.
I upgraded the one in my '15 and everything works.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Many thanks for the review. I’m contemplating the wireless CarPlay dongle for quite some time and by now the only thing stopping me is the steep price.
During summer months it really doesn’t bother me to plug the phone. But now with winter upon us also come layers of jackets with the phone zipped in a pocket somewhere, plus gloves and then the convenience of wireless connectivity is really enticing.

Are people ever used the carlinkit3.0 (the "parents" of carplay2air)? Worth buying?

I’ll probably give it a shot once I clear the Christmas mess from my credit card.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts