RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 truck with about 74,000 miles on it had the check engine light on for a while with the codes listed in the title. I also had a number of other small problems, Since I had an extended warranty and had learned that the deductible is per visit and not per item I waited a while and accumulated a few things.

Unfortunately the repair should have gone smoothly but it did not. The minor things were completed fine and the major problem led them to replace the DEF tank and system and that was coordinated with Chrysler to get the warranty approval to do so. Unfortunately the first tank was the wrong one but the second one was correct but it did not solve the problem. Come of the codes reappeared. There were numerous back and forths with Chrysler and the dealers tech. Each time it took 2 or 3 days for Chrysler to respond after the tech gave them the results of the tests they asked him to do. Apparently the results made no sense. As I understand it they then found out that an online wiring diagram they were referencing was erroneous. Once that was resolved it became clear there was a fault in the wiring harness. It was found at a junction . When that was repaired it fixed the problem.

The process took about 3 weeks. Part of the time I had my truck back to use but once it the first wrong DEF tank was ready for install they had the truck and I had a minivan loaner which was fine for my needs at that time. AS best I can figure out the dealer and the tech were competent and responsive. The time it took for Chrysler to review test results and come back to the tech for additional tests was too long at 2-3 days each cycle. Additionally, the eroneous wiring diagram caused some of the difficulties also.

As I think I understand the issue the DEF tank probably did not need to be replaced. The wiring fault caused tests to show that it did. I have posted the repair notes from the dealer. It gives further details including the splice number where the problem was. Perhaps this can help someone that has a similar problem.

General comment-we have had a few postings on this site over the years about chafing wiring harnesses. I would suggest it would be wrthwhile to crawl around under your truck and look at the harnesses and see if you are happy with its routing. The vast majority of my driving has been on paved roads with little rough road driving and no aggressive offroading of the truck. It seems obvious that either some harnesses are installed sloppily or constructed poorly since several very high mileage vehicles have not had that problem. Anyhow when I get my new truck next summer and will put it on the hoist and give it a good look.

edit-unfortunately the attachments uploaded in the wrong sequence. Open the first one first, the last one second and the middle one last. oops!

All the best and MErry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

View attachment service invoice_00003.pdf View attachment service invoice_00002.pdf View attachment service invoice_00001.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello my 2015 Ram with 66000 km's had the same problem.(Code U02A5). Traced problem to a cut wire about 3 inches from the heater module located on cross member above DEF tank. After repairing wire placed a.protective
hose over wire so it would not rub on cross member.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Thanks for clarification on where to look for the wires touching and chaffing ,
next time I'm under , I'll look , trying to eliminate the stuff that can easily be fixed ahead of trouble.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts