RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Two questions:

1: Are the wix fuel filters ok to use?or should I only use mopar?
2: are washable k&n filters ok to use? I’ve always used them on past vehicles but someone told me they may void warranties or something....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hi all. Two questions:

1: Are the wix fuel filters ok to use?or should I only use mopar?
2: are washable k&n filters ok to use? I’ve always used them on past vehicles but someone told me they may void warranties or something....
Wix makes some great filters and if you find the right ones why not?

There are 2 types of oil filters one has small o-ring on top, the other one has the same o-ring, but lower. I know my '17 Ram need oring on top.

Somebody will probably post exactly Wix PNs

I used this one and love it (not a Wix):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IX694J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As of K&N I would stay away. Too much dust and oil will mess up sensors...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks pasechnik. Just to be clear I was referring to the fuel filter. Not oil. Do you still feel the same?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oops, sorry. I am still using original one.

I used to add CAT 2 micron filters on my previous diesel trucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Caterpillar-1R-0750-Advanced-Efficiency-Multipack/dp/B00T85IQOA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520191851&sr=8-1&keywords=cat+2+micron+fuel+filter&dpID=41V8OEko87L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

If somebody is as crazy about filtration (especially fuel) Here is the filter head for this Cat filter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CSGT64/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I used it before and it is as easy to make it work as it can be....

I might do it again.

·
Registered
727 Posts
The Wix fuel filter is Wix WF10245FL.

There are several posts that will tell you the wet (K&N) filters do not filter as well as the dry filters - to not use them.
And, as Pasechnik said, guaranteed to mess up sensors.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The only sensor that might be effected by an oiled filter is your maf sensor and thats only if serviced incorrectly. Every other sensor well be covered in oily goo from your ccv system. Personally I run oiled filters and oil analysis has proved it filters well but it does require maintenance which most fail to do.

·
Registered
183 Posts
ive been using wix fuel filters for about 40,000 km now dont see a reason to go back to mopar. you get get three for the price of one. ive also been using ecoguard oil filters for almost 100,000km you can get a 12 pack for the price of 3-4 mopar filters. I have a 30$ Canadian tire air filter that ive been using for almost 100K as well I just use the K and N filter cleaner kit on it every oil change and have had great results. these trucks are actually fairly affordable to maintain with after market parts. Ive got my oil changes to 86$ CAD for 16,000 km.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Stay far far away from Wixom filters I've had 2 consecutive failures on my wife's truck. 1 filter bulged out and one completely split down the seams of the filter. Wixom came and took the filters and ran analysis and say the where subject to excessive pressure. Never had a problem with oem filters and the extra cost easily outweighs having injectors put in.
Stay far far away from wix

·
Super Moderator
717 Posts
Stay far far away from Wixom filters I've had 2 consecutive failures on my wife's truck. 1 filter bulged out and one completely split down the seams of the filter. Wixom came and took the filters and ran analysis and say the where subject to excessive pressure. Never had a problem with oem filters and the extra cost easily outweighs having injectors put in.
Oil or fuel filters?

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
I have seen other pictures of aftermarket fuel filters that were bulged also, they looked like pleated filters instead of what the factory mesh/gause? filter looks like. I would definitely not chance it on the fuel filter. Have used several aftermarket oil filters with the O-ring in both locations and to my knowledge it doesn't matter which one you use they both work fine and should on all year models 14-17.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts