RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was a vocal part of this forum last spring and summer after the V08 update completely messed up my truck.

Now, I just received two recall letters, one to replace the EGR and one to do another tweak to the ECU software. The letters to California residents are strongly worded and threaten you with loss of warranty and inability to register your car if you don't do these things.

Really? You destroy our trucks, keep us driving potential fire balls for six months waiting for parts, and rather than any sort of softness or customer service, you send a tough "do it or else" letter? I will never buy another vehicle from this company again. End of rant.

When I call the local dealer, they say, oh yeah, they released the new parts, but we can't get them. Let us put you on the waiting list... Great. Can you tell me how long it might be? No.

Next, they say, well, they want to put me on the new EGR and new engine intake part list. Because when they take the truck apart, they do a pressure test on the engine intake and if it fails, then they must replace your intake also. So, if they don't have an intake sitting there, then you have to wait for 3 weeks for the intake to come in while your truck is not drive-able.

Have any of you gone through this process? Here are my questions:

Have you found someplace that actually has the new parts?

Did you have to replace the engine intake when you thought it was actually ok?

Did replacing the intake cause a bunch of new trouble with codes and other things that now appear broken (that RAM will probably say was already broken and your fault?)

Did the software tweaks help you?

I would replace this truck if I could afford to... For now, my goal is simply to try to keep the warranty intact and be able to register the vehicle.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
197 Posts
I just received the letters but didn't read them to detail. I can't wait to call and get my place in line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Would like to hear some comments on the new version AEM fix. I am still driving a 2016 "virgin" and trying to figure out if the $3K is worth what you are going to have to live with.

·
Registered
852 Posts
..........snipped ....... For now, my goal is simply to try to keep the warranty intact and be able to register the vehicle.
Thanks very much
I am one of those who doesn't seem to have issues. About the only thing done to my truck that I am not happy with was the auto-park.

My goal has been in part the same as yours. I want my 84/160k-km warranty to be valid, but my method seems a bit different to yours.

I simply take mine in for the oil changes and say something like : "while it's in, please do what ever is needed to maintain my warranty, then call me when it's ready". Then I drive away in my other vehicle. You have (had) a second vehicle, so why not just take your truck in and get the work done .... drive away in your Mini-Cooper and have them call you when it's done?

EDIT : you may want to read this thread :

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got my truck back this week, they did AEM, EGR, tailgate and 2 different seatbelt recalls. Truck is a stock 2015 w/ mostly city and trouble free miles. ERG was leaking and they wouldn't do the AEM until it was fixed, they thought it might catch fire on the stationary region. It took about three weeks to get the parts, I was given a Hemi loaner with out asking. They didn't replace intake manifold.

Ive only had it back a few days but I say it drives about the same as I remember it being. It wants to hold gears longer, fuel economy appears to be about the same. The first shift of the day has always been harsh, but then smooth for the rest of the day. That seems to have been remedied. The dealer didn't say anything about an oil change but my oil life went from %95 to %34 while they had it.

So far I have no complaints, will update if that changes.

I will say the Hemi was a lot more fun to drive and probably a better fit for me. It did surprisingly well on gas almost 17 mpg on the same driving my eco gives 22.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I got mine back on Wednesday past, so all in all they had it for less than a couple of weeks. The EGR work was done right away and they had to order a mirror that wasn't powering in correctly (warranty). They did the EGR, VA7, and a full service.

My truck runs just like it always did, smooth, quiet, bags of power. On the way home a kid in a sporty little Mazda or Subarau, with the big exhaust and the air dam and lowered suspension etc, tried to pass me when we turned from one highway to another .... I heard him punch it and saw him coming (he was about 100 yards behind me), so I tapped mine about half way .... when I looked back again he was getting smaller in the mirrors ..... LOL

·
Registered
2 Posts
Since I had the recall done my passive entry has been acting up. Fairly often I have to use the remote to unlock my truck and have to hit the button more than once to get the locks to unlock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
I had the EGR and updated AEM software done about 2 weeks ago. Truck runs better than ever! I have much improved throttle response and the truck always seems to be in the right gear to accelerate. I haven't checked fuel mileage yet but the lie-o-meter says about 22mpg around town.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the EGR and updated AEM software done about 2 weeks ago. Truck runs better than ever! I have much improved throttle response and the truck always seems to be in the right gear to accelerate. I haven't checked fuel mileage yet but the lie-o-meter says about 22mpg around town.
When you say the "Truck runs better than ever" - do you mean better than it originally ran or better than after the first AEM update ?

·
Registered
532 Posts
When you say the "Truck runs better than ever" - do you mean better than it originally ran or better than after the first AEM update ?
It seems more responsive than it ever was, even when new. Obviously this is a seat of the pants opinion, not a measured fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was a vocal part of this forum last spring and summer after the V08 update completely messed up my truck.

Now, I just received two recall letters, one to replace the EGR and one to do another tweak to the ECU software. The letters to California residents are strongly worded and threaten you with loss of warranty and inability to register your car if you don't do these things.

Really? You destroy our trucks, keep us driving potential fire balls for six months waiting for parts, and rather than any sort of softness or customer service, you send a tough "do it or else" letter? I will never buy another vehicle from this company again. End of rant.

When I call the local dealer, they say, oh yeah, they released the new parts, but we can't get them. Let us put you on the waiting list... Great. Can you tell me how long it might be? No.

Next, they say, well, they want to put me on the new EGR and new engine intake part list. Because when they take the truck apart, they do a pressure test on the engine intake and if it fails, then they must replace your intake also. So, if they don't have an intake sitting there, then you have to wait for 3 weeks for the intake to come in while your truck is not drive-able.

Have any of you gone through this process? Here are my questions:

Have you found someplace that actually has the new parts?

Did you have to replace the engine intake when you thought it was actually ok?

Did replacing the intake cause a bunch of new trouble with codes and other things that now appear broken (that RAM will probably say was already broken and your fault?)

Did the software tweaks help you?

I would replace this truck if I could afford to... For now, my goal is simply to try to keep the warranty intact and be able to register the vehicle.

Thanks very much

·
Registered
9 Posts
My ECM software fix made very little changes to my 2015 eco. Fuel mileage 23 to 24 mpg combined. Shift points changed somewhat. 8 downshift to 7 a little sooner on grades. Not that big of a deal for me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had all the warranty service work done. I have had all the programming updates done. My truck runs just like it always has ... very nicely. My mileage just putzing around town with some highway thrown in is about 28-30 CDN. I have yet to go for a long trip since the works was done on the EGR. No lag, no leaks, no issues ... just get in and drive. Factory stock, no mods, 50,000 miles since Feb 2016

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had all the warranty service work done. I have had all the programming updates done. My truck runs just like it always has ... very nicely. My mileage just putzing around town with some highway thrown in is about 28-30 CDN. I have yet to go for a long trip since the works was done on the EGR. No lag, no leaks, no issues ... just get in and drive. Factory stock, no mods, 50,000 miles since Feb 2016

UPDATE ::

Since my last post, I have managed to work thru about 3/4 of a tank and refilled to full again. My procedure is that I refill to the second clickoff of the automatic filler handle. My EVIC showed 9.6 L/100km and when I did the fill and hand calc's I came to 9.57 L/100km. That equates to 29.5 mpg CDN and 24.5 mpg USA. That would be about 1/3 town, short distances, and 2/3 trips of about 50 miles interspersed with that other 1/3. We have nowhere to go right now, so long highway trips aren't happening. The truck runs very well, has no lag, accelerates well, cold or warm, and seems pretty much like how I bought it. It's 2016, 4wd, QC, Rambox and factory stock except for a tailgate strut. My driving is all at or below 60mph.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I called my local dealer/shop and scheduled all the work back in November. I was given a date in February. That rolled around and then was told they can't get the parts and was given a May date..... then a June date.... Now an August date. Wonder if I need to start working with another dealer/shop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The biggest difference I see so far is there a lag between when I try to accelerate and when my truck actually accelerates. It wasn’t a problem before the repair.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The biggest difference I see so far is there a lag between when I try to accelerate and when my truck actually accelerates. It wasn’t a problem before the repair.

Agree - same here - really only when starting out (1st gear). The lag was a little annoying before - much worse now. Would like to explore options on what can be done (if anything) on this. On my last two Cummins trucks, a tuner took care of that immediately...

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer has similar response on the latest EGR replacement notifications - cannot seem to get the part - while I continue to get notices that I'm delinquent on the recall...

Problems/Issues since doing the initial ($3k settlement) flash and other EGR recall:
-radiator fan tends to run A LOT more often
-more noticeable lag in 1st gear
-lower mileage than before (3-5 mpg)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just experienced a failure on my 2016 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel PN# 68245787AA - Coolant Inlet hose from the engine block to the EGR Cooler . The metal part totally corroded away in just 4 years & 100,000 kms . I had the EGR work completed @ 98,000 kms and this should have been replaced at the time .
I highly recommend on coating this part with a corrosion resistant lubricant all though it is in a hard to reach area accessible thru the passenger side fender well .Also I highly recommend on replacing it before you go on any long trips .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts