RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had this issue before but this morning leaving for work when I went to start my truck I encountered issues. The truck would crank briefly, start for about 1 second and then die right away. I did this about 10 times, same result each time. The truck was outside, was slightly below 0º F, block heater was not plugged in. I've started the truck several days last year when it was colder(down to -10 or -12) with no issues.

I've posted before about decreased full mileage in the last year by about 2-3 MPG and was wondering if I was having injector issues, though there was no other symptoms so I let it go. Those that have experience with similar issues do you think it's related to an Injector(s) going bad and cold temperature or could it all be fuel related? All stations should have switched to #1 Diesel months ago.

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm sure it's fuel that's gelled.
Let it sit in the sun for a day or two and it will be fine.
Emergency anti-gel products could help, but they likely won't reach the injectors if poured in the tank.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Diesel Kleen 911

Check fuel filter to see if clogged. I'm with Jberg about gelled up. If there's anyway you can safely get heat to underside, that would help thaw things out also.

Reactions: MAS

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It should be in the 20s when I get home from work. I'm guessing it'll probably start, if not I'll check the fuel filter. Tomorrow should be a little warmer yet. I have a garage that stays around 40 though it's full and would take some doing to swap things around. Most likely fuel blend related though haven't had the issue before.

Do Bio Diesel Blends have more issues? The station I last filled up at I believe uses up to a 10% Bio blend. Though I'm guessing they account for this in the winter months.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Yes, bioD will gel at higher temp, although the fuel should still be adequately treated unless the temps dropped very fast and are unusual for your area. Stop on the way home from work and pick up both some of the rescue additive, I think it's 9-1-1, and the white bottle of power service. It might be the silver, read the label. Dump the 9-1-1 into the tank before trying to turn it over. Turn the key to on but don't start. Let the fuel pump move some of that additive through. As mentioned above, you should replace the fuel filter. When bioD gels, it will create more waxy gunk, which will collect on the fuel filter. I wouldn't replace the filter until you get it running. Otherwise, you may have to replace it twice.

·
Registered
13,684 Posts
When I had my three different diesels in Pennsylvania as late as 21 years ago ALWAYSI cut my diesel fuel with kerosene.

Not sure that will work in an Ecodiesel but there are multiple products out there to stop that gelling. They are a MUST to always have in your fuel during frigid weather. As for right now, missing work and daily trouble, you must thaw the mess out, and lots of anti-gel product and then run it through the system. Until that is done you are down and out.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
If the fuel is gelled , would that starve the HPFP and put it at risk ??
is it a good idea to try and start it again if no fuel reaches the HPFP ??

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the fuel is gelled , would that starve the HPFP and put it at risk ??
is it a good idea to try and start it again if no fuel reaches the HPFP ??
View attachment 85112
Hmm maybe a Parameter in my CTS2 Display will tell me the fuel pressure going to the HPFP? If not maybe I should just check the filter first before trying to start it again. It's almost 20ºF here now and should be mid 20s when i get home(hopefully).

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
after doing a quick search ,
according to post # 5 in here , the CTS2 ''WILL '' display fuel rail pressure.:
says CS2 , but CTS2 is bigger screen and touch screen .
---
Here what the Edge Insight CS2 on my 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel 3.0 displays.

Access Pedal Position
Accel Pedal Position
Ambient Air Temp
Barometric Pressure psi
Battery Voltage
Corrected Speed
Current Torque Output
DPF Soot Mass √
Distance Since Last Regen √
EGT1 Turbo Inlet √
EGT2 DOC Inlet √
EGT3 DPF Inlet √
EGT4 SCR Inlet √
Engine Coolant Temp
Engine Load
Engine Oil Temp
Engine RPM
Fuel Rail Pressure
Fuel Rail Pressure Com
G Force Calculated
Gear & TCL (Auto Only) √
Horse Power
Intake Air Temp
Intake Manifold Air Temp
Mileage Avg
Mileage Inst
Run Time
Torque
Trans Temp (Auto Only)
Trip Odometer
Turbo Boost
VGT Actuator Commanded Position
VGT Actuator Position

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I got home it was in the mid 20s. I added the two Fuel Pressure Parameters to my gauge and monitored as I went to crank it over. The truck started pretty much normally. Pressures seemed ok. I put in some AntiGel treatment and drove it around a bit...all seemed well. I'll get a Fuel Filter and inspect the filter tomorrow if I have time. It could be that my last fill-up wasn't Winterized/blended properly and Gelled at a temperature that I haven't seen any issues with in the past.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Mine did the same as you describe once and I decided it was gelled in the fuel rails/injectors since the pump would run and shut off so I assumed the tank pump built pressure and the problem wasn't there. I plugged it in thinking the heat would get to the injectors and I only needed a bit. I tried it after two hours and the outside temp had risen about 5 degrees and I measured the underhood temp of the heads with a IR thermoneter and I forget the temp now but it was about 15 degrees above ambient. It started and ran fine.

Outside temp was minus 15 F and my fuel was from a newly opened up Kwik TRip and their first in the very North of Wisconsin. I did not have trouble with their fuel after that one tank. Anyhow mine started and ran fine and I went to town and put in a few gallons of number 1 diesel.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Mine will do this when its not plugged in. Once I started plugging it in it starts just fine every time. I also add anti-gel fuel additive, but even with that if its not plugged in it will die on the first few attempts every time.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You guys have reminded of a story my friend the diesel mechanic told me a while back. 18-wheeler fuel tanks got all gelled up. Solution? Why, they fired up a couple of hibachi grills and slid them under the tanks. Yup. Open flames and all. It worked and nobody died. This time.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Dude in the north here in Canada, you tented your forwarder with tarps and actually built a fire underneath it with twigs. Was done all the time. Not needed anymore but that was the way back in the day. Rule of thumb was to put coffee on it and when it was ready, you turned the key..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: sourdo and Kst8er
1 - 20 of 20 Posts