RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
image.jpg
Had to introduce the truck to the trailer this morning. Time to go to work it's spent enough time just being good looking.
First good test will be next Tuesday I'll be loading 3-4 tons of stone to take 20 miles to the job.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Nice trailer. Sure interested in hearing reports on loaded operation and fuel mileage.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yes, but will it pull that trailer loaded with stones at 65 MPH up an 80 degree incline?

I'm being snarky about another post. :) I AM interested in how it does in the real world with a real workload. Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Rhombus is rightly reporting about some attitudes toward towing. Only thing is many want to pull 10,000 lbs at 60 mph to an altitude of 21,000 ft. over 40 miles. At the top they expect to run straight down and then go back up again and again and ...

You tow loaded and give us an unbiased report. Wonderful.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, but will it pull that trailer loaded with stones at 65 MPH up an 80 degree incline?

I'm being snarky about another post. :) I AM interested in how it does in the real world with a real workload. Thanks
If my Tundra got me by for 6.5 years I'm sure I'll find a way to make it work if I have to lighten up just a little. I had to drop 1 ton off my loads from my 3/4 ton trucks but its well worth the comfort and efficiency. Loads are no more than average 30 miles. And since they only happen around 20-25 times a year I can make 2 trips i necessary.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found out how nice the air suspension work on hook up and unhook. You can squat and drive under the ball then raise and pull up the foot on the jack without cranking. And the brake controller is worth every dollar it cost.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Rhombus is rightly reporting about some attitudes toward towing. Only thing is many want to pull 10,000 lbs at 60 mph to an altitude of 21,000 ft. over 40 miles. At the top they expect to run straight down and then go back up again and again and ...

You tow loaded and give us an unbiased report. Wonderful.
I think I might be more worried about the trip DOWN. Although the MPG would be great, stopping might be an issue. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I finally got to pull the airboat with mine last night, man it pulls it way better than my Hemi did!! Even in Tow/Haul mode the transmission is smooth action. Best part is I don't have to hear the motor going in and out of Eco mode like the Hemi, that got annoying real quick!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
image.jpg
First loaded test today. I took two loads 25 miles truck and trailer on scales at the stone supply totaled 10460 empty. Loaded with stone 16970. I loved everything about the tow brake controller, mirrors, air suspension,and plenty of power no sway it was a dream. I never felt overloaded and I've been pulling a lot of trailers in 38 years in the construction business. I truly believe I found a sweet spot in a truck if it can hold up in quality. And I got 12 mpg. going and coming 100 mi.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And after calculating total trailer weight loaded was right at 10,000 lbs. something I do 20-25 times a year if I have to.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
That's a lot of weight. Think the report is good. Nuts to what is said about how much the truck can pull. If you can start and stop it, drive at a reasonable pace and get decent fuel mileage, it's the answer.

Just set up my trailer for the equalizer bars. Tomorrow I will tow it a decent distance with a plain hitch and no bars, then switch to the big hitch assembly and use the bars. Hope to have a good report. Remember, I do not have the air suspension to handle the tongue weight. Did use Timbren bumper stops. Gonna find out. Hope I'm as happy as you are.

Thanks for the information.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts