RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those driving the new truck, what are your worst numbers and your best?

And of course what were you doing with the truck at that time?

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
First 300 miles gave me a calculated 24 mpg. Lots and lots of idle time and many demonstrations mixed with urban traffic and maybe 30 miles of hard inner-city traffic. Mileage computer showed 24.1 so it's pretty good.

There were times I would reset one of the trip logs, run 20 or so miles and watch. Around 55 mph I showed 38 mpg. Around 65 mph a solid 33 mpg. 75 to 80 seems to show around 27-28 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Average over 500 miles or so has been 24-25. Lowest ive seen was about 20-21, Highest was on a 55 mph 2 lane road, 34-35 mpg.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My first tank of gas went 975 km (605 miles) on 95 L (25 gallons) of fuel. I'm not sure how full the dealer filled the tank. The lie-o-meter said 9.5 L/100km (25 mpg)

My driving was 80% highway and 20% city. My driving was all at 120 km/h (75 mpg) on the highway. The fuel economy is much better if you want to slow down to 100 km /h

Overall I'm damn impressed since my 4 cylinder Equinox averages 9.4 l /100 km on similar driving.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've put on 1558 miles totsl so far. Half was my trip home other half has towing (4000lb) for 100 miles and rest a lot of stop and go country driving with lots of idle time. My trip by is showing 24.9 for 1558 miles. So fall after added up all my fuel tickets. Its showing my getting 24.87 so the lie o meter is pretty darn accurate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
1st tank was 23.2mpg, 2nd was 24mpg - 60/40 hwy/city. Hand calculated and we are still on winter blend.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do not get excited much anymore, but these posts and this truck is exciting.

By the time I get one for 2015 I will be 67. Gonna have to get in better shape to run it ten years... LOL

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do not get excited much anymore, but these posts and this truck is exciting.

By the time I get one for 2015 I will be 67. Gonna have to get in better shape to run it ten years... LOL

Jim
I agree. I can't wait to unload my 2013 Hemi for one of these next year!

·
Registered
12 Posts
What gear ratios do you guys have? 3.55 or 3.92? I figure gears would effect the gas mileage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First 300 miles gave me a calculated 24 mpg. Lots and lots of idle time and many demonstrations mixed with urban traffic and maybe 30 miles of hard inner-city traffic. Mileage computer showed 24.1 so it's pretty good.

There were times I would reset one of the trip logs, run 20 or so miles and watch. Around 55 mph I showed 38 mpg. Around 65 mph a solid 33 mpg. 75 to 80 seems to show around 27-28 mpg.

That's incredible, I do 80-90% State trunk line driving 55mph speedlimit, usually run at 60mph. Would be awesome to see over 30 mpg. I can't help but wonder what you could see running a full tank at 60- pure long distance highway driving. Hell, find a semi to suck mpg's off and go for 40!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have over 1000 miles on mine now. its a Crew Cab 4x4 with 3.55 gears.

On the highway, if I cruise at 60 mph, i'll get 29 mpg (over 100 mile test). At 70-75 mph, I'm getting 27.5 mpg.

If I do just city driving and drive reasonable, I'm looking at 22 mpg.

So, basically, the EPA numbers are pretty accurate.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just filled up for the 4th time, cant seem to break 23.5mpg. Its getting warm here, so hopefully my area will be back on straight #2 soon. I have 3.55's btw.

I have put roughly 1700 miles on the truck and the def gauge is already reading below 1/2 tank :mad:

·
Registered
13,665 Posts
With the DEF down that far it sure blows out the 10,000 miles projection per tank. Appreciate the information.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just filled up for the 4th time, cant seem to break 23.5mpg. Its getting warm here, so hopefully my area will be back on straight #2 soon. I have 3.55's btw.

I have put roughly 1700 miles on the truck and the def gauge is already reading below 1/2 tank :mad:
I wonder if deff useage will go down with warmer weather and no winter blend fuel?How has your deff useage been in your warm climate Captainmal?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Are you sure the DEF tank was totally full when you got the truck? I can't speak to the ED yet, but the gauge on my Cummins isn't particularly accurate. It can "look" full, and still take nearly 2 gallons. I can tell you when my Cummins is unloaded, I seem to get between 1000 and 1500 miles per gallon of DEF; I can't imagine the ED would use more.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was told by the dealer to expect the truck to use the def heavily for the first few weeks/months while the truck breaks in. He said it will level off after the first thousand or so miles. At least that is what they are seeing in the cummins diesels.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts