RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to go do the doctor thing this morning so stopped at the Wally World fuel station on the way home. It was almost 700 miles since last fueling ( I have an in-bed tank). Filled like I was on TFL truck with top-off's after a wait on both tanks. Lots of idling , urban waiting, parking lots and towing were done on that fuel used. I mean lots of light towing with a trailer, quads, motorcycles, zero-turn mower etc. Probably 300 miles of the tank was light towing. EVIC read 21 mpg. Actual calculated mileage was again 19 mpg (19.1 exactly).

This is most always what I seem to get lately and maybe that is not so bad for such a big engine and truck. I have read of Ecodiesel owners doing near the same without towing. Must be a lot of urban or cold usage but some have reported near that low.

After fueling I rode home about 8 miles at normal 60 mph + - speeds. Look...

DAA82242-29CB-4FF3-984A-5154E2565A33_1_201_a by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Wouldn't this be nice if it were really true?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Set the cruise on 60 mph on a flat ish road without a head wind and I bet it is. Conditions and driving habits are huge for top end fuel economy. I posted about a run I made on my last tank of fuel in my ecodiesel I had a week of commuting to work and a 350-ish mile run to the ranch with the cruise set on 75 mph I hand calculated 27.5 mpg if memory serves me. Dad made the exact same run in his cummins with nothing but a little gear in the bed and got 22. His is the high out put with the aisin trans and 3.42's his rpm's run 1700 or less at 75.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, especially if you have an optimistic EVIC as my Cummins has.

Maybe a year ago I had to abort a towing trip to North Carolina with my Ecodiesel. Started and only got maybe 100 miles when the transmission boiled over. Struggled back home and dropped off the toy hauler, cleaning it out. Truck pulled fine with no trailer so the next day we decided to go with no toy hauler. Maybe the only long trip I ever took with that Ecodiesel not towing.

At one point I drove a rather long distance.

y3FQN0rJSWKv3CSClyocgA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Now that EVIC was just a teeny bit optimistic. Do not remember just what that whole tank yielded but it was close to or even at 30 mpg. running without the trailer. Probably went over 1,000 miles on that run without fueling because I had that extra tank. That's the same extra fuel tank I kept and put in the Cummins. Without a doubt the Ecodiesel could be coaxed into astronomical fuel mileage territory for short distances.
UkhMhH%CTFKSKmACvkoF2Q by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

·
Registered
350 Posts
I just did a quick round trip with my wife to drop a horse off for some training. 7,000 pounds going down and 6k coming back. Low end highway speeds. Heavy tail and cross wind, icy patches heading down and then the nasty head and cross wind coming home. With winter blend, hand calculated 11 mpg. Not bad considering all factors. These trucks can produce when they want to.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just did a quick round trip with my wife to drop a horse off for some training. 7,000 pounds going down and 6k coming back. Low end highway speeds. Heavy tail and cross wind, icy patches heading down and then the nasty head and cross wind coming home. With winter blend, hand calculated 11 mpg. Not bad considering all factors. These trucks can produce when they want to.
Assuming you are running a 2018 or earlier Cummins. Good machines. Just guessing that if you had an Ecodiesel you would do about the same on that run. Towing with my old Cummins and the Ecodiesel have always seemed the same. New Cummins a little less with light towing than the Ecodiesel. Eager to tow heavier and see what that is.

That will happen come early March.

·
Registered
350 Posts
2017. You really need to get some real weight behind your truck. It may get real thirsty but man o man can they haul ass!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2017. You really need to get some real weight behind your truck. It may get real thirsty but man o man can they haul ass!
Agree.

I only use my toy hauler for Daytona Bike Week. After that it is then under roof in storage until we decide to go out West for a Prairie Dog hunt in Wyoming combined with motorcycle rides across the West. Last couple years the wife has been bad sick with cancer. Major chemo, pre and post the horrible operation, seems to have cured it. We are planning to go out West this year so eager to pull the toy hauler.

Also used it to go to the Smokies. We have kids, grandkids there plus love riding the mountains on motorcycle. More of the same in Pennsylvania have had us there to visit. Just have not been able to go lately. The toy hauler is a 2008 model that sits under a large carport against a large garage in the back. The tires rot from disuse. We were toying with buying a larger one when she got sick. After this year we just may do that also.

All it would take right now is the money.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fueled today. Only 400 miles with about 150 of it towing a small trailer. Since I did not turn on the extra fuel tank I thought it would be a good calculation and I was at the station so stopped.

Same as near every time I get fuel. 19.1 mpg. I wait the 30 seconds after "click off", go to the next one and today even went to a third.

·
Registered
350 Posts
19 is damn decent!!! I should do some unloaded calculations on mine as we have been driving it a bit lately.

Today my Trailblazer barely started and had reduced engine power. Was the only one plugged in. -25c with a strong wind, -37 windchill. Had to use the diesel. It fired right up but without the wi ter front on it couldn't even defrost the windshield.

I am thinking it's around the 15mpg right now..

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Got the first oil change at 7200 miles in Bull head city. Had to run not towing to Vegas and back, long story but she's getting broken in. Light winds, kept it under 75. EVIC says 22.6? Is it accurate? I dunno, but man the fuel gauge needle moves lots slower not towing!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Holding off on the oil and fuel filter change until I get at least 10,000 miles on mine. Probably after Daytona Bike Week and some real towing before i do that. Oil still looks decent and has not turned that black ink tone yet.

Mine is showing around the 22.6 on the EVIC right now also. Just about 150 miles and no towing on the tank for that. if it would continue like that my guess is a real calculated mileage might touch the 20 mpg mark. I always seem to be showing around 21 mpg to get an actual 19 or so. Have never fueled when it shows that 22 or more mpg so just guessing a real 20 mpg is possible.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
My oil was black, and almost 2 years old. I should have demanded it changed when I took delivery. Built in May 2018. Anyway, ran a hilly route yesterday about 400 miles. I'm pushing her harder, it just encourages confidence and where my avg speed in these conditions was 55 in the ED, its set at 64 all day long, sometimes much faster. I pass more than ever, evic was 9 to 10 mpg all day. Near the sequoia national park, heading to Arcata Monday. Thats a tough run, no easy way and then back to Michigan weather permitting, mid March.

Its got a bad ticking sound, back up cam is staring at the ground, but other than that all is good.

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That oil gets black with any working EGR system. For some reason mine is still just dark a bit but not like ink. Only pushing 8,000 miles as I have only done a few runs to Georgia. Most of my running is South Florida and lately no trailer. Been showing in the 22 mpg range, If I can keep on like this it just may do an honest 20 mpg.

Ok - I doubt it. Maybe 19.5? Time will tell but starting to think a long run at reasonable speeds might do the magic 20 hand calculated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts