RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local dealer finally got one in yesterday so I stopped in and took it for a test drive. I cannot believe how smooth and quiet the engine and the ride is. One would never know that it is a diesel going down the road.

This one was a granite crystal crew cab Big Horn with a 5-7 box and a 3.55 rear end. Not exactly what I'm looking for as I would like the 3.92 and a 6-4 box with the bench seat.

I have a 29 foot Jayco trailer that weighs 5500 pounds dry that I would be towing five or six times a year maximum. The EVIC was showing me mid 20s most the time on flat roads and trip mileage was hovering around 19. I would say that is not bad for as much as I was into the pedal testing acceleration at different speeds. Which by the way, the acceleration is really decent! You can get to 70 miles an hour very fast and the ride is so smooth and quiet you can barely tell you're going that fast.

I've always been a Chevy fan but this new RAM truck is amazing.

So now I really want one but I would like the outdoorsman package which when I try to configure it at the dealership would not let me have a bench seat and forced me to buy 20 inch tires and wheels. And boy are these things expensive! The way I want it comes in just under 50 grand!!! I can't tell you how badly I want one. But not a $600 or $700 payment :(

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
360 Posts
My Outdoorsman worked out to 47 before incentives, CC 6'4 4x4, RamBox, air suspension and they got me for the 20" wheels too, might try to get them to swap on the lot for a 17" set off another truck but they are growing on me the more pictures I see. I have seen guys getting 17s so it may be a gear ratio restriction, 3.92s force 20s, 3.55 get 17s. Been putting away about a grand a month towards it since I've been looking but the payment still makes me gulp when I look at the loan proposal, even at 72 months. Especially given my truck is paid off, but slightly older than your 'Burban. '95 2500 but stripped out and the AC sucks big time, thank god they don't have one on the lot or I wouldn't be waiting and settle for the wrong but cool truck.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Here's the same advice I give anybody that asks when car shopping: Figure out what YOU want, don't settle for anything less than your minimum requirements, even if you have to pay a little more or go to a higher trim level to get exactly what you want. You will not be happy with the purchase, otherwise. Keep in mind that invoice is approx. 10% off msrp, then take incentives off that. Depending on your area, an Outdoorsman may be very difficult to find this late in the model year

Reactions: CB919

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike for the encouragement and reinforcement. The dealer is pretty reputable and the salesman is actually my next door neighbor. They are a no dicker price type dealer however so they set a price and don't waiver. Very low pressure sales and my neighbor is a completely awesome spiritual man who could care less if I bought from him. As he has said before "cars are just steel and plastic, your soul is eternal - that's all that matters".

MSRP 48,470
Invoice 43,947
Dealer fee 200
Tax 2648
Plate/title 23
Subtotal 46,818
Rebate 1500
Dwnpmt match 1000
OTD 44,318
My cash 1000
Finance price 43,318

A little confused on the web price which is 40,947 which is 3,000 off invoice. I will clear that up tomorrow.

The truck I'd like to order adds 1400 just for the wheels and I can't get a bench. And their system refused to do two tone as well. I don't understand these restrictions?!?!

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That's a pretty decent price.... i'v seen cheaper but the is good!

Reactions: Ryan40601

·
Registered
150 Posts
It all depends what your wants are. I wanted a work truck, without a lot of luxury. No way was I going to take a Laramie to a construction site. I stuck with a truck that cost in the mid 30's that suits my needs just fine.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Probably best not to do business with friends. Some are getting 17-18% off MSRP. I'd shop another dealership.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Looking at total paid price after all discounts vs MSRP is good understand negotiation success, at the end. But don't approach the negotiation process this way - it plays in dealer favor to mix dealer margin concessions vs manufacturer discounts. Keep these two separate!

First configure your truck, then go to Edmunds . Com or kbb . Com to get the Invoice price associated with the MSRP. The invoice is the dealers cost from Ram, before Ram kickbacks and incentives that you never see. The invoice is your benchmark to understand dealer profit. You want to get as close to Invoice BEFORE Ram customer incentives are considered. Invoice is about 8.6 to 9% less than MSRP for base or lightly configured truck. Options have more bolt in profit for dealer, so a rich config means invoice can approach 10% less than MSRP. For cars with stable supply and demand, target 1-3% over invoice, or about 1,000 dealer profit over Invoice. For high demand cars, dealers will less likely discount from their profit ( they will offer MSRP with only Ram incentives).

If you have a supplier discount or employee discount from Ram, you are lucky, this fixes dealer profit and Ram supports dealer on back end to help get the price to 1% below Invoice, or more if employee discount.

Now that you know Invoice price, and negotiate as close as possible to it, then include Adam customer cash incentives. Don't let the dealer bundle Ram incentives with their dealer margin concessions from MSRP.

Don't confuse Ram finance cash incentives, they a an be useful, but only apply if finance through Ram. Manufacturer rate me are typically higher than a good local credit union or bank, so they can advertise big incentives that simply bring the net interest rate close to where a local bank is at. Identify finance alternatives before going to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
To make things really easy just spend 100$ at tread lightly and get 1% under invoice. The whole process takes about 2 weeks to get your welcome pack with the code but makes it a lot easier at the dealer. Also that 100$ goes to a good cause and you get some discounts on other things as well. Here is the link Tread Lightly ? Chrysler Affiliate Rewards Program
It lasts a year so if you plan on ordering it now or later you have some time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I went with Tread Lightly myself, and at a dealer that had a 5k markup for 'scarcity' of their 4x2 Longhorn, they took my order with no problem or negotiating needed, invoice minus 2%. The salesman I'd been working with didn't know anything about it but when she asked the sales manager the response was no problem, just need the control number. FCA requires 90 days (I think, it might be less) before you can use the code and you do need to go online to get a control number before you go in to order/buy the truck. And Tread Lightly only does membership packet shipping at the start of each month.

Tread Lightly also has a rebate with Falken tires and a new deal at Discount Tire, $50 off tires, $100 off wheels and tires.

·
Registered
583 Posts
According to what I saw on Tread Lightly, there is a 30-day wait time from the time you sign up until you can get your control number. But, rules can be bent and broken!

·
Registered
730 Posts
So I'm trying to understand this Tread Lightly better, essentially it secures you 1% below factor invoice, but how is that determined? I can't find any sources to figure out how that is calculated. I see a lot of people get around 17% off retail and I'm trying to figure out how that compares.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
That Treat Lightly thing has merit for lots of people. Surely some will avail themselves using your link. Thanks.

Been just starting to look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same diesel. Early on my impressions are they do not have rebates and discounts even close to the 1500 Rams.

Get the Ram.

·
Registered
360 Posts
There is an invoice total down the side of the order sheet and it compared to what TrueCar listed in their pricing as well. My truck was 54k and the Tread Lightly deal brought it down to 46.5k minus the incentives at delivery (was 3k at time of ordering), so a final from MSRP would be 15% off before incentives, estimated 80% with incentives with ZERO haggling. I estimate about $2200 in taxes, tags, etc but did not include them as yours would vary by state.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Once you get a control number, there is probably a specific site that you can log into and see the MSRP and affiliate prices for the trucks that are in dealer stock. (At least that's the way GM works.) No fuss or argument as Ram provides a set compensation under the program back to the dealer. Not sure about Ram, but dealer participation may be voluntary (as with GM), but from the forums it doesn't seem likely that you'll get any push back. They just want to sell trucks (and cars)!

Of course, all of this works best IF you are not trading anything in. Once this happens, there is wiggle room for all kinds of funny numbers to come into play.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That Treat Lightly thing has merit for lots of people. Surely some will avail themselves using your link. Thanks.

Been just starting to look at a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the same diesel. Early on my impressions are they do not have rebates and discounts even close to the 1500 Rams.

Get the Ram.
Jeep RARELY has rebates, and apparently the Grand Cherokee is one of the lowest days in inventory of all SUVs so little need to discount. Similar to Raptors and SuperDuty, looked at both and was ZERO incentives on either all spring. But Tread Lightly is a Jeep deal, that's how they got into the rest of Chrysler's product line.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I totally understand that trap of doing biz with friends. Like I said before, he really doesn't care if I buy from him.

They actually show me the invoice cost right in the ordering program. They say they are "open book". He was actually impressed i knew all the restrictions I learned from this forum before he could even click on options. For instance the 20 inch black rims that are forced on the outdoorsman package.

Anyways I will see where this goes as I'm not sure I really want to afford that much of a truck this point.

Don't tread on me!
MOLON LABE

·
Registered
701 Posts
I got $2500 in cash rebates from Ram (not finance incentives). This was 4.4% of MSRP $57K. I got 1% under Invoice with supplier discount. Invoice price itself was about 10% under MSRP, so 4.4% + 1% + 10% = 15.4% off of MSRP. You have to break your down this way because incentives vary by region and month. And don't confuse finance incentives which simply serve to buy down a purposely inflated interest rate (they aren't wirth anything, vs a competitive interest rate at local bank). Others need to share their results in this manner, if you want to compare.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts