RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Funny how XM Satellite Radio called, sent email and delivered advertising before I even knew the truck was here. How'd they know it was done? And before anyone else? I said to the dealer that if I order a $0.50 tooth brush from Singapore I know exactly where it is but a $60k truck is hit an miss with a maybe. I offered to but the toothbrush and put it in the truck so I'[d know where it was. Don't think he got (liked) my sarcasm much.

·
Registered
284 Posts
LOL... the dealer has to active the XM satellite, then you get one year free basic programming from that date... that means if was sitting at the deal before they called you...

·
Registered
641 Posts
thanks for the afternoon chuckle, i can totally relate!

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
That satellite radio company also sent me something. I threw it out long ago because I thought the whole thing was stupid.

Turned on that Bluegrass station to try. Kind of like it. Too bad you can't get Rush Limbaugh. Doubt I will pay when it's over but heard if you wait they lower the price.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the satellite reception is not nearly as good on the 2014s. My older truck hardly ever lost coverage. it is to the point as someone who has paid for satellite radio for the last 10 years, I will most likely not renew when the one year is up. kind of a bummer too that it is now XM and not Sirrius so if I want the Nascar channel I have to pay $4.00 more a month.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm interested in this thread, I live in the land of horrible coverage for standard radio so this is important to me.

·
Registered
13,966 Posts
Thought the coverage was good. Only time you lose it is when going under bridges slowly or under metal buildings. At those times I lose gps coverage also. Thought it was normal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone noticed that the satellite reception is not nearly as good on the 2014s. My older truck hardly ever lost coverage. it is to the point as someone who has paid for satellite radio for the last 10 years, I will most likely not renew when the one year is up. kind of a bummer too that it is now XM and not Sirrius so if I want the Nascar channel I have to pay $4.00 more a month.
Yep, noticed the same thing. My neighborhood is heavily forested and quite frankly reception is terrible.though I don't thin it has anything to do with Sirius, it's the antenna system.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Never had a hiccup in 6 years with the Sirius reception. I have been on all kinds of forest service roads in Colorado at all elevations and never lost the signal. The trip up there and back is always good, even driving around town here at home is good and it's better in my current truck than in the 2012 Ram I traded.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yep, I've found the same thing... the other day I lost reception for over an hour and it's always cutting in and out. Up until I bought this truck I was a paying Sirius customer for 7-8 years (and still am for the wife's car) and never had any issues with reception. I've also never had the satellite receiver built into the factory radio. I've always used portable receiver with a car kit but only ever put the antenna on the dash inside the car...

I agree it's a huge bummer that Chrysler put XM radios and not Sirius... I like NFL radio and it's also $4.00 extra a month. You can add the premium package to the free one year trial and they will only charge you the $4.00 a month for the 12 months (or what ever you have left)...I've already done this and it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
132 Posts
my last truck was a 2012 with the touch screen u connect it came with sirius built in, I realize it must be a receiver issue but it is way worse than the last truck. I have a couple of friends that have 2013 and 2014 rams and they say the same thing. I think I may drop by the dealer and see if they can do something with it.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Let us know if there is anything they can do...

·
Registered
351 Posts
My reception is very poor and looses signal for a while. Happens a
lot when you are under the forest canopy or next to cliffs and tall buildings. The GPS doesn't loose signal. Is there a fix for this? The reception is way worse than a portable unit with the pod magnet antenna.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Being in Canada I always lose signal while behind any large obstruction to the south. It sucks but I've always assumed that it was because the satellites are located to the south above the US.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I agree it's a huge bummer that Chrysler put XM radios and not Sirius... I like NFL radio and it's also $4.00 extra a month. You can add the premium package to the free one year trial and they will only charge you the $4.00 a month for the 12 months (or what ever you have left)...I've already done this and it wasn't an issue.
I thought that XM and Sirius merged a couple years ago

·
Registered
284 Posts
I thought that XM and Sirius merged a couple years ago
They have started to merge but the merge isn't complete yet (at least here in Canada)... they still have 2 completely different billing departments, different radios and different programming... Last I asked them they said the merge may be completed by the end of this year but no ones know for sure....or no one is saying...

·
Registered
28 Posts
GPS is a totally different satellite system, and there are multiple satellites the GPS system utilizes. XM picks its signal from southern satellite

1 - 20 of 35 Posts