RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New diesel works great in 2014 Ram pickup in USA Today. A few nits on the interior and complicated electronics but the reviewer loves the diesel:

OK, but what makes the Ram diesel so appealing?

Because it's about the smoothest, quietest, most-refined diesel we can recall driving, car or truck.

On a cold start, it has the diesel rattle and racket, but that fades fast as the engine warms, and in any event is barely audible, at worst, in the cab. And it has that ever-loving diesel pull that feels irresistible, even when you toe the throttle just a little.

That sensory pleasure translates to ease and confidence with heavy things in the bed or pulled behind.​

Now, if Ram will just let me order one!

·
Registered
366 Posts
It'll happen. I'm looking forward to the exclusivity of it. Especially for the entire 2014 year. It's the truck of tomorrow.

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Thanks for the good read on that review.

Just an aside on the fuel mileage issue...Just returned from a week in Georgia at my hunting camp. Towed a 5x8 trailer with quad behind my Cummins 4 X 4. Got 20 mpg towing 70+ mph and almost always get 22 mpg IN THE CITY. Only issue not controlled is what their "city" driving is compared to my version of "city".

It was a bit of a disappointment to read this tester got down in the 18's during city driving. My Cummins is twice the size of the new engine. The transmission is the old 6 speed manual and the rear end is a 3.75. Cannot figure out why the new one, other than unloaded on the open road, is not even better with fuel mileage like my old Cummins?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the good read on that review.

Just an aside on the fuel mileage issue...Just returned from a week in Georgia at my hunting camp. Towed a 5x8 trailer with quad behind my Cummins 4 X 4. Got 20 mpg towing 70+ mph and almost always get 22 mpg IN THE CITY. Only issue not controlled is what their "city" driving is compared to my version of "city".

It was a bit of a disappointment to read this tester got down in the 18's during city driving. My Cummins is twice the size of the new engine. The transmission is the old 6 speed manual and the rear end is a 3.75. Cannot figure out why the new one, other than unloaded on the open road, is not even better with fuel mileage like my old Cummins?
Fuel mileage figures are about as reliable as weather reports. There are many factors but in the city idling and driving style are major ones. Also, he did not say where he got the number but the dash readout can be all over the place. If you and the reviewer traded trucks we might have an interesting comparison!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Here's a really in-depth 20-minute independant review for the Ecodiesel 4x4(fully loaded) that gets BETTER THAN ADVERTISED fuel economy, and 24.5 mpg while towwing 7,000 lbs!

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Glad you posted this review. A new one for me.

Sure an articulate young man doing the review. He did say when he averaged the 24.5 mpg it was during "mixed driving". Not sure that included any towing as towing was not mentioned until later. The other mileage issue was his commute to work that averaged over 30 mpg. Think this is a two-wheel drive truck.

All that technology sure scares me a bit but one thing I did like was how you can remove those foam pads above the engine. When I drove a Grand Cherokee with the diesel it was too quiet. My wife thought I would like quiet but I love the sound of the engines in my Harley's, BSA's, Triumph's, Moto Guzzi's and BMW's. My Cummins rules when I travel. Went from Florida all the way to Wyoming once and never turned on that darn radio. Just love listening to the engine sing it's song. Of course I did get to hear my wife bitching in the background as she listened to her Ipad.

First thing I will do is toss those foam pads. Doubt I can toss that automatic and get me an 8 speed manual but I can't have everything.

Thanks for the link.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Actually, when he first goes over the gauge cluster he points out 24-25 MPG, "that's in a decent amount of towing, stop-and-go traffic, highway, mountain driving..." it's at about 10:30 in the video. Also, it's definitely a 4x4, you can see the badges as well as the 4x4 controls(directly below the shift knob). Quoted and noted. This truck is for real.

It's the heaviest possible variant of the Laramie(the longhorn is the same weight roughly).

·
Registered
13,687 Posts
Right again. Had to look and listen carefully. That's super fuel mileage. Gas truck would struggle to do half that if much towing were involved.

Did see a test video back a month or two. Thought it stated and showed 19 mpg for about 400 miles of towing up to 9K. That towing was desert and mountain roads with little traffic. Also seem to remember it was two-wheel drive. Of course my memory is suspect.

With my Cummins I would get no more than 14 mpg and less if the winds were at me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts