RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time the topic of vehicles comes up with my father in law he tells me I better get rid of my ecodiesel. A guy he knows had one blow an engine on him, just like all the others on here, it was replaced under warranty and no issues, but still he says I need to get rid of it. Will I have a failure? I don't know, maybe I will maybe I wont, but im invested in it and I guess ive got 30k mile of warranty left and plan to ride it out.

Last night I had to drop off a trailer at his house and we went to dinner with them, I drove. I couldn't help but notice he kept staring at the instrument cluster on the truck. I had my fuel economy screen up with an average of 29.6 lol he couldn't quit staring almost made me feel uneasy he was looking so hard, but I just smiled a little and kept driving.

He gets about 15-16 mpg out of his titan cummins. I have 66,000 miles he has a little over 30k. Biggest thing he tows is a 5x8 trailer with a mower, I tow a 30-foot travel trailer occasionally and a 24-foot boat regularly. Ive had zero issues, he has had a DEF sensor issue, contaminated fuel, and had to have a pulley on the belt drive replaced as well as some other cosmetic issues fixed under warranty.

I know, knock on wood (just did) but maybe he should get rid of his?

·
Registered
593 Posts
So every time the topic of vehicles comes up with my father in law he tells me I better get rid of my ecodiesel. A guy he knows had one blow an engine on him, just like all the others on here, it was replaced under warranty and no issues, but still he says I need to get rid of it. Will I have a failure? I don't know, maybe I will maybe I wont, but im invested in it and I guess ive got 30k mile of warranty left and plan to ride it out.

Last night I had to drop off a trailer at his house and we went to dinner with them, I drove. I couldn't help but notice he kept staring at the instrument cluster on the truck. I had my fuel economy screen up with an average of 29.6 lol he couldn't quit staring almost made me feel uneasy he was looking so hard, but I just smiled a little and kept driving.

He gets about 15-16 mpg out of his titan cummins. I have 66,000 miles he has a little over 30k. Biggest thing he tows is a 5x8 trailer with a mower, I tow a 30-foot travel trailer occasionally and a 24-foot boat regularly. Ive had zero issues, he has had a DEF sensor issue, contaminated fuel, and had to have a pulley on the belt drive replaced as well as some other cosmetic issues fixed under warranty.

Hes just mad he bought an xd and got none of the expected benefits

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,560 Posts
Well at least he did not have transmission issues. That was a theme I got from just the few owners I spoke with. There were multiple other issues, poor and repeated service was another.

Someday we will all get rid of our Ecodiesels. Tell him to be patient. You will hopefully do his bidding in another 200,000 miles.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really have to say, I have driven his titan many times and driven it a considerable amount and like it a lot. The major downfalls of it for me are the fuel mileage. Even me driving it EASY with mpg's in mind it topped out all hwy at 21-22 mpg. And payload is lacking. For being advertised or at least appearing as an in between to a 1/2 and 3/4 ton pickup it just doesn't offer much more.

It rides well, fit and finish is good, very quiet on the road, good power and I rather like the transmission in it. But the fuel mileage is an absolute deal breaker.

·
Super Moderator
2,971 Posts
Keep working it. Always seems to me the guys that baby them like crazy have the engines that fail. I’d keep it at least another 35k and use up the warranty that you have already paid for. Do you already have a tune?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hey MAS, maybe your FIL is hoping you'll get rid of your EcoD- so that he can trade his XD in for it? :D My Dad is always giving me hard time about driving "Dodge" trucks (he and my brother are diehard Ford guys; they've had seven Super Dutys and six Powerstrokes between the two of them since '99), however they've had more issues with any one of their Super Dutys than I've had with all of my four "Dodge" trucks combined. I just smile and remind him of that fact whenever he brings it up.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of mine. I can replace the engine outside of warranty and still be financially better then trading and taking a 20k hit. Plus pay another 20k for inflation on new truck.. So 40k in total vs 10k for an engine. You do the math.. Never buying another brand new vehicle. Ecodiesel was my first and last.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wouldn't get rid of mine. I can replace the engine outside of warranty and still be financially better then trading and taking a 20k hit. Plus pay another 20k for inflation on new truck.. So 40k in total vs 10k for an engine. You do the math.. Never buying another brand new vehicle. Ecodiesel was my first and last.
Ya, what he said! Vern has driven his truck another 200k miles after changing out his engine. As far as I know he hasn't had any other major issues. All of the other aspects of the truck are still working properly. OVER 1/2 MILLION miles counting.

Spending the 10k on a new engine, and keeping the truck that took me over a year to set up just the way I want it is the only thing that makes sense to me.
10k vs 55 - 60k, not a hard decision . Well you might get 10 - 12k for a truck with a blown engine so maybe it would be in the 40 - 50k range. Still a no brainer to me. I'll keep Big Red.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'm with the swap engine out crowd and keep driving the truck...Vern has demonstrated 500,000 miles of use on these transmissions...the rest of the truck it great too although I have worn a heal hole in the floor mat :rolleyes:

Rust not an issue here. Hell, my daughter drives my 2000 F150 4x4 now...truck looks mint....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Let's see, what are those acronyms for competing companies' trucks?

Fix Or Repair Daily, Find On Road Dead

Cruddy, Heavy, Expensive Vehicle for You

Really Awesome Machine

Honestly, US News and World Report just announced Ram 1500 as the best value in full size trucks for 2019.

·
Registered
642 Posts

I'm on the fence as well but I'm in too deep to back out. If it blows out of warranty I'll just replace it and hold on for another round.

In the mechanics realm, FCA products are about 1/2 the way down the pole to the pit of junk.

·
Registered
49 Posts

Really Awesome Machine

Honestly, US News and World Report just announced Ram 1500 as the best value in full size trucks for 2019.
FCA -F****N Crappy Automobiles

They all have bad names they are automobile manufacturers, they all suck.

As for the nissan with the cummins getting 15-16 my 2018 f350 with the 6.7 gets that pulling more than a titan could. Still miss my ecodiesel for the economy reasons but I don't miss the white knuckle experiences towing 8500lbs.

·
Registered
231 Posts

Really Awesome Machine

My fave is Cracked Heads Every Valve Rattles Oil Leaks Every Time :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
No plans to let mine go anytime soon but when I do I'll be going back to gm preferably a Denali hd

·
Registered
102 Posts
My father in law keeps asking if I regret getting a diesel since it costs more than gas.
- My old car took 89 Octane and got 20mpg
- 89 Octane is consistently 10-20 cents more per gallon where I live
- My truck averages 25 mpg.

I can't seem to get that through to him. He drives a Silverado and gets 16 mpg.

·
Registered
593 Posts
My father in law keeps asking if I regret getting a diesel since it costs more than gas.
- My old car took 89 Octane and got 20mpg
- 89 Octane is consistently 10-20 cents more per gallon where I live
- My truck averages 25 mpg.

I can't seem to get that through to him. He drives a Silverado and gets 16 mpg.
89 is 20 cents more than diesel?

·
Registered
102 Posts
Yep. It's no longer 10¢ more than 87 like back in the day. I'm not saying it will always be more than diesel, but it has been for the last few months

Edit: after checking my records, 89 Octane has averaged $2.68/gallon over the last 3 years.
Diesel has averaged...$2.68 over the last 6 months.
Maybe I was just thinking of my last two fill ups. Either way, still coming out ahead with the diesel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Yep. It's no longer 10¢ more than 87 like back in the day. I'm not saying it will always be more than diesel, but it has been for the last few months

Edit: after checking my records, 89 Octane has averaged $2.68/gallon over the last 3 years.
Diesel has averaged...$2.68 over the last 6 months.
Maybe I was just thinking of my last two fill ups. Either way, still coming out ahead with the diesel.
2.59 for 87, 2.89 for diesel here in Charleston sc. That's only recently though, there for awhile gas was around 2.29 diesel at 2.89

1 - 20 of 42 Posts