RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
47,000 miles on my factory Firestone Transforce HT's. New set of four would cost me between $1,222 and $1,253. I expected about $800.

Spent lots of time today going to different local tire shops. Michelin Defender LTX tires ranged from $1,270 - $1,366 on the truck. Cooper HT3"s were $1,210.

Outside these are Hankook Dynapro HT RH12's at $1,227

What do you think?

· Registered
861 Posts
47,000 miles on my factory Firestone Transforce HT's. New set of four would cost me between $1,222 and $1,253. I expected about $800.

Spent lots of time today going to different local tire shops. Michelin Defender LTX tires ranged from $1,270 - $1,366 on the truck. Cooper HT3"s were $1,210.

Outside these are Hankook Dynapro HT RH12's at $1,227

What do you think?
Bigger truck = Bigger tires = Bigger Money $

· Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I use are LT275/70R18. Big tires are expensive but ALL tires have gone crazy in price.

Today I stopped at a local truck stop and go some DEF from the pump. What was $2.69/gallon is now $4.79 a gallon. Diesel now $4.79 a gallon. My issue is when I retired back in 1999 that pension has NO cost of living. Now my buying power is probably less than half what it was and dropping daily. I have heard talk of living to the end of our money. With my advanced RA issues I could soon be finding out.

· Registered
179 Posts
Every once in a while Ram has a coupon for buy 3 tires and get the fourth for 1 cent. I put 4 tires for another non FCA vehicle and my local dealer had no issue honoring the sale. The only coupon I could find now was a price match.

· Registered
568 Posts
Capt. have you tried Tire Rack on-line? They ship to installers near you. They also test many different brands for tread wear, wet and dry traction, noise etc.

Reactions: Captainmal

· Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
870 Posts
$1200-$1300 out the door sounds reasonable to me. The michelin LTX A/T2's I put on my truck in 2017 were about $200 a tire, and those are P rated. Plus mount and balance, new valve stems (tire pressure monitors), disposal fee (old tires), taxes and such was close to $1200.

Pricing those same tires now, they are $330 a tire. I would expect to pay $1500-$1600 out the door. Guess I better start saving cause the michelins have about 70k miles on them now, I should probably get them replaced before winter

· Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate the ideas. Will be at Walmart tomorrow for pills and will ask at the tire department.

Do not want an all-season (AT) tire. Too loud and the aggressive tread pattern has more air than tire. Wear out too fast. I just like a road tire. Ruled out the Hankook tires as not holding air, wear fast and awful on wet roads. Firestone Transforce are fine but if I can get the Michelin ones for just $40 more. That seems like a better option.

As for Tire Rack and other on-line retailers, their pricing is not all that good and then I have to pay upwards of $30 or more per tire to have them mounted and balanced. Been looking into that also. No bargain when all is done.

As I write this my thoughts are a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/70 R18 for $1,270 mounted and balanced. Not sure on new high pressure valve stems and TPS changes on this deal though. The days of the $30 tire are long over. Same as the $100 tire and even twice that. Silly pricing compared to what I am used to.

Still open for ideas. Street tire with good tire life and few bad habits. That's my criteria.

· Registered
2,698 Posts
What I use are LT275/70R18. Big tires are expensive but ALL tires have gone crazy in price.

Today I stopped at a local truck stop and go some DEF from the pump. What was $2.69/gallon is now $4.79 a gallon. Diesel now $4.79 a gallon. My issue is when I retired back in 1999 that pension has NO cost of living. Now my buying power is probably less than half what it was and dropping daily. I have heard talk of living to the end of our money. With my advanced RA issues I could soon be finding out.
Hi: Captainmal... I can't be broke... I've still got cheques left!!!
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

· Registered
188 Posts
I just put Cooper discovery AT3's on with "tire discounters" 1300 OTD, they did however do a "free inspection" and came back with a 3300 estimate:oops:, my brakes are shot and truck needs lower ball joints, wipers and a cabin filter, and free blinker fluid.......from now on I will do the tire rack deal, had some medical issues going on and was looking for "convenience"🙄 what was sad was the other customers I encountered and the "grossly inappropriate" amount of "upselling" that was going on 😥 :confused:

And Captain I like that Transforce tire for durability(y) but prefer the AT's for some light field and off road use, the cooper's have been good for me

· Registered
2,552 Posts
I've used Tire Buyer.com a few times and have been satisfied with their stock and customer service. Here is what I found for your tire: Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT 275/70R18/10 $1127.96. That's with free shipping to an installer that they approve and you use the code INSTALL15 to cover the cost of mounting.

Edit: My long customer service story with these folks. I was going on a trip and needed new tires--but I procrastinated (as usual). So at the last minute I called and spoke with customer service and he found a set of tires for me at a warehouse that was relatively close by. Cheap ass Falkens, but I needed cheap at the time. And they were actually at the installer the same day! Anyhow, I like their prices and the CSR really hooked me up when I needed it.

Second Edit: I posted about it once upon a time. So if your search fu is good, you can find it. I don't have the energy. It was when I reached 80,000 miles on the factory tires and replaced them with the Falkens. Pics and everything if you feel like looking for it.

3rd Edit: They have General Grabber HTS60 for $1015.96. I have General Grabbers on my truck now (Eco) because that's the tire that Vern was recommending back when I got them. I have been quite satisfied with them. Had a couple of punctures, but they're at ~60,000 miles now and I think I can squeeze another 20K or so out of them.

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,843 Posts
As I write this my thoughts are a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/70 R18 for $1,270 mounted and balanced. Not sure on new high pressure valve stems and TPS changes on this deal though. The days of the $30 tire are long over. Same as the $100 tire and even twice that. Silly pricing compared to what I am used to.

Still open for ideas. Street tire with good tire life and few bad habits. That's my criteria.
Costco price - $1130 includes lifetime balancing and road hazard

· Premium Member
15,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Real surprised ahh the mileage some of you are getting out of your tires. My 47,000 currently on the Firestone Transforce factory ones seems small compared to you. Most reviews I read on tires have them worn out far below what we all are reporting. Some are worn out at 20,000 miles.

I am not a Costko or Sam's Club member. Kind of against my ideals to pay to buy. Open to all ideas though.

One thing about all the internet ordering sites like Amazon and all the tire shops. Take their pricing - often in the $1,200 or more range and add 7% Florida tax. Then I have to handle and haul them to one of my local tire shops and literally beg them to put them on for about $120 or even more with balancing. Then I probably have to pay them a fee for disposal. One site locally wanted $16 to dump the old tires, $60 to balance plus other stupid fees. Time I got done figuring the final cost to me it was more than a complete package from the three local shops I got pricing at yesterday.

This afternoon I have to go to Walmart. Will check on those Coopers noted above. I did last night and the local Walmart wanted about $210 for the same tire shown above. Then you add on taxes, mounting and balance fees plus more for some total surely above a grand. That I will check on today.

Appreciate the ideas.

· Registered
861 Posts
Real surprised ahh the mileage some of you are getting out of your tires. My 47,000 currently on the Firestone Transforce factory ones seems small compared to you. Most reviews I read on tires have them worn out far below what we all are reporting. Some are worn out at 20,000 miles.

I am not a Costko or Sam's Club member. Kind of against my ideals to pay to buy. Open to all ideas though.

One thing about all the internet ordering sites like Amazon and all the tire shops. Take their pricing - often in the $1,200 or more range and add 7% Florida tax. Then I have to handle and haul them to one of my local tire shops and literally beg them to put them on for about $120 or even more with balancing. Then I probably have to pay them a fee for disposal. One site locally wanted $16 to dump the old tires, $60 to balance plus other stupid fees. Time I got done figuring the final cost to me it was more than a complete package from the three local shops I got pricing at yesterday.

This afternoon I have to go to Walmart. Will check on those Coopers noted above. I did last night and the local Walmart wanted about $210 for the same tire shown above. Then you add on taxes, mounting and balance fees plus more for some total surely above a grand. That I will check on today.

Appreciate the ideas.
It shouldn't be "against your ideals to pay to buy " If the bottom line saves you $$$

· Super Moderator
2016 SLT 4x4 Quadcab 3.53 with a cap
1,351 Posts
Well the $65 we pay for the basic membership at Costco was more than covered when I bought my last set of tires there. Michelin gives back a $100 store coupon, usually spring and fall. Although not cash in your pocket, that pays for an extra $40 of groceries. Other tire brands do the same, like Bridgestone, etc.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts