RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Ah, gotcha. I buy my DEF at the truck stop bulk pumps, so I never see the packaging.
Smart.

I literally never buy DEF anywhere but at truck stops. Unfortunately last week the price at a local station went up to $4.79 per gallon. Ouch.

· Premium Member
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

Update...

New Michelin tires are on. Mounted and balanced properly, they sure ride nice and smooth at 70 mph. That was the fastest I was able to test going home. Price was actually a couple dollars less than quoted. I lifted one of the new tires and it sure seems heavy compared to the worn Firestones. The old tires worked and wore well and could have gone more than the 47,000 miles I got out of them.

Watched the men working on the tire change. NOT something I would want to try, especially breaking the old beads. Tires were just made earlier this month so as fresh as it gets. Also clearly marked ... "Made in the USA".

· Registered
51 Posts
47,000 miles on my factory Firestone Transforce HT's. New set of four would cost me between $1,222 and $1,253. I expected about $800.

Spent lots of time today going to different local tire shops. Michelin Defender LTX tires ranged from $1,270 - $1,366 on the truck. Cooper HT3"s were $1,210.

Outside these are Hankook Dynapro HT RH12's at $1,227

What do you think?
Check your local Costco f
47,000 miles on my factory Firestone Transforce HT's. New set of four would cost me between $1,222 and $1,253. I expected about $800.

Spent lots of time today going to different local tire shops. Michelin Defender LTX tires ranged from $1,270 - $1,366 on the truck. Cooper HT3"s were $1,210.

What do you think?
Check Costco. Best prices and service. Don't bother with Sam's Club. Knuckle daggers there.

· Registered
11 Posts
I replaced my 2015 OEM tires in 2020 with Uniroyal Tiger Paws. The OEM's were trashed at 23,000 miles. My local guy mounted and balanced Uniroyal Tiger Paws for $800 out the door. Oh, and these were 275 60-20s. Love these tires. Quiet, handle well in the rain and give a great ride. Wear so far has been excellent. If you can find a local, reliable tire guy, use 'em. It's worked for me these 62 years on the planet.

· Registered
4 Posts
$1200-$1300 out the door sounds reasonable to me. The michelin LTX A/T2's I put on my truck in 2017 were about $200 a tire, and those are P rated. Plus mount and balance, new valve stems (tire pressure monitors), disposal fee (old tires), taxes and such was close to $1200.

Pricing those same tires now, they are $330 a tire. I would expect to pay $1500-$1600 out the door. Guess I better start saving cause the michelins have about 70k miles on them now, I should probably get them replaced before winter
I’ve got about 72,000 on the LTX A/T2s on my 2016 crew cab 1500. Mileage wise they’re not bad tire and the road noise isn’t bad. That said, I wasn’t impressed with their traction in deep snow and wet roads. I decided I’m going for the Bridgestone Revo3s or the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2s. The KO2 has the best ratings on tirerack.com, but it’s also $345 a tire for my 20” rims.

· Premium Member
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
To me a 20" tire is a styling exercise. Like the expensive "higher" trim models, it has little to nothing to offer for going from point A to point B except to increase the expense.

The days of thinking the worth of a man depends on the height of their truck ends at puberty.

· Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
871 Posts
I’ve got about 72,000 on the LTX A/T2s on my 2016 crew cab 1500. Mileage wise they’re not bad tire and the road noise isn’t bad. That said, I wasn’t impressed with their traction in deep snow and wet roads. I decided I’m going for the Bridgestone Revo3s or the BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2s. The KO2 has the best ratings on tirerack.com, but it’s also $345 a tire for my 20” rims.
I'm pleased with them. good mileage and quiet, like you said. I'm happy with the traction as well, at least they're better than the stock SRAs. The KO2s are a bit aggressive for me but I think I'll try these for my next set:

They're rated better than the Michelins in every category, severe snow service rated unlike the Michelins, and cheaper. It's kind of a gamble when I know the Michelins work really well for me, but it's hard to pass up.

· Registered
42 Posts
Appreciate the ideas. Will be at Walmart tomorrow for pills and will ask at the tire department.

Do not want an all-season (AT) tire. Too loud and the aggressive tread pattern has more air than tire. Wear out too fast. I just like a road tire. Ruled out the Hankook tires as not holding air, wear fast and awful on wet roads. Firestone Transforce are fine but if I can get the Michelin ones for just $40 more. That seems like a better option.

As for Tire Rack and other on-line retailers, their pricing is not all that good and then I have to pay upwards of $30 or more per tire to have them mounted and balanced. Been looking into that also. No bargain when all is done.

As I write this my thoughts are a set of Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/70 R18 for $1,270 mounted and balanced. Not sure on new high pressure valve stems and TPS changes on this deal though. The days of the $30 tire are long over. Same as the $100 tire and even twice that. Silly pricing compared to what I am used to.

Still open for ideas. Street tire with good tire life and few bad habits. That's my criteria.
I've had horrible experiences with Walmart tire centers. The latest: poorly balanced and old Coopers that must have sat on a ware house floor for too long on my wife's Solara. Two different Walmarts couldn't figure out how to balance them and they wouldn't admit they were defective. We don't do Walmart tires anymore.

· Registered
42 Posts
....they did however do a "free inspection" and came back with a 3300 estimate:oops:, my brakes are shot and truck needs lower ball joints, wipers and a cabin filter, and free blinker fluid.......from now on I will do the tire rack deal, had some medical issues going on and was looking for "convenience"🙄 what was sad was the other customers I encountered and the "grossly inappropriate" amount of "upselling" that was going on 😥 :confused:
What a joke. Run away. Good, honest mechanics are far too busy these days to engage in this kind of up-selling bull.

· Registered
42 Posts
I think some are taking out of context that I read into it. Does the def need to be shipped in a box. Making the box takes trees and a lot of machinery that use energy that creates pollution which the def is trying to cut down on. The making of the plastic bottles end up using fossil fuel to make and the manufacturing creates more pollution. If they wanted to do better there would be an incentive program to return the def containers to be reused thus cutting pollution. This is only one item that could be done to help the environment.
You can and should get bulk DEF from the pump. I am a big fan of the pump based bulk DEF. It's cheaper and easier to fill the truck. I hate the way the DEF leaks out of the "packaged bottles". But I do keep a reserve 2 gallon package of DEF in the truck bed. By the way, both the plastic "bottles" and the cardboard are highly recyclable. The plastic in mine is marked #2: highly recyclable. Now whether you and your community actually recycle is a whole other question.🤨

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,852 Posts
To me a 20" tire is a styling exercise. Like the expensive "higher" trim models, it has little to nothing to offer for going from point A to point B except to increase the expense.

The days of thinking the worth of a man depends on the height of their truck ends at puberty.
Saw a young women the other day getting ready to climb into her truck. The rocker panels were about even with her shoulders. Since I was in traffic, I couldn't sit and watch the fun.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
Look in the forums. Several people selling tires and wheels that are takeoffs from their new trucks.
I wish I was looking for tires for a Gen 5 1500. FB Marketplace has a plethora of low-mileage takeoffs on rims for the 6-bolt pattern. I have found some that may work out for my Gen 4, but there aren't as many out there.

· Registered
43 Posts

What do you think?
How are people getting more than 40,000 out of tires? I'm on set #3--37k, 37k, and just 10 on current sneakers. I drive easy, don't tow a low, and keep tires inflated. No alignment issues. Just replaced the tires on wife's '20 Grand Cherokee with 29k on the Michelin Premier LTX--they SUCK! (and the warranty is useless). Hope the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus3's I've got on both vehicles wear better than that. Could run almost anything on my 3 Explorers and get at least 50k, usually 60k or more.

· Premium Member
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
How are people getting more than 40,000 out of tires? I'm on set #3--37k, 37k, and just 10 on current sneakers. I drive easy, don't tow a low, and keep tires inflated. No alignment issues. Just replaced the tires on wife's '20 Grand Cherokee with 29k on the Michelin Premier LTX--they SUCK! (and the warranty is useless). Hope the Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus3's I've got on both vehicles wear better than that. Could run almost anything on my 3 Explorers and get at least 50k, usually 60k or more.
Beats me also.

Read reports of people going up to 80,000 miles on Michelin LTX's. Do think tire size and construction is an issue. Light cars and smaller trucks do not have much weight to wear down tires but then the tires they have on there rather flimsy and cheap in the first place. Big trucks have tough tires. The tires on 18 wheeler tractors are huge and even though the weight is immense, they seem to get upwards of 100K on them.

Know I wore out my factory Ecodiesel tires in 25k. Put a similar set of Firestone P rated tires on and they also wore out about 25K Both sets gave me multiple flats. After that I went to E rated tires and had 65K on that set when I traded the truck off. they still looked pretty good. Think it must be tire construction and of course, tread design.

· Registered
42 Posts
I replaced the worn out oem tires on my truck at 20,000 miles (with the Michelin Defender LTX). It's not surprising though. I remember what was drilled into me when I was motorcycle touring: there are no inexpensive, long distance, high grip motorcycle tires. The same with cars and trucks, although the crashing consequences are not as obvious. OEM tires are cheap, quiet, have low rolling resistance, and provide better than average stopping distances. Together with the rear coil springs its how Ram won Consumer Reports 1500 truck comparison last year. But the OEM tires don't last. Putting the light duty version of the Michelin Defender LTX on a truck will give somewhat better, but not amazing results. I tow a lot, and have 20,000 on the newer Michelins. While they are obviously going to last considerably longer than the OEMs, I am not sure I am going to get 40,000 miles out of them. And they were not cheap.

· Premium Member
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
... And they were not cheap.
Those Michlin LTX's I bought cost me exactly $1,270. Agree that is not cheap. Reminds me of my first monthly paycheck for teaching back in 1966. My net was $292 a month. Think I taught over ten years before finally making $10,000 a year. My head for pricing still rests in the first 40 years of my life.

These prices today are beyond anything I could imagine - especially the current $4.80 a gallon for diesel that is at every fuel station I see here in south Florida. Some government jerk recently took credit for the fuel pricing going down. He must have been standing on his head.

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 ED Laramie 4x4 3.92 Charlotte, NC
1,852 Posts
The big discussion around here is how far gasoline has come down. No mention of diesel prices. They interviewed some pulling a trailer with a chevy heavy duty and his comment was that the previous higher diesel would have cost him about $125 instead of $80. I would have commented about how diesel had a recent spike back up of around 50 cents.

· Premium Member
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
So south florida is not the only place where diesel had gone up while gasoline has slightly lowered?

Was riding motorcycle to run some errand today and stopped at a local station. Diesel was $1.40 MORE than regular gasoline. While taking a break from working on the property in 94 degree heat I turned on YouTube. Watch a recent video where some RV'rs went 1500 miles and it cost them $760 for fuel using their Powerstroke. That's about 50 cents a mile for fuel.

OUCH!

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
I bought a set of AGILIS CROSSCLIMATE LT265/70R17 light truck tires from Costco this spring for ~$1,100.00.
How are you liking those? I'm thinking about replacing the SL OEM tires with Es. Costco is out of the Defenders right now. I found a set of Continental takeoffs locally for $650/4, but reviews for them are lousy. I thought I could find a set of mounted takeoffs for a decent price, but the only LT tire on the 6-lug rims is on the Rebel and they are 275/70 instead of 275/65. I don't want to go bigger with 3.21s.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts