RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
How are you liking those? I'm thinking about replacing the SL OEM tires with Es. Costco is out of the Defenders right now. I found a set of Continental takeoffs locally for $650/4, but reviews for them are lousy. I thought I could find a set of mounted takeoffs for a decent price, but the only LT tire on the 6-lug rims is on the Rebel and they are 275/70 instead of 275/65. I don't want to go bigger with 3.21s.
Being an older post you might find sending Cletus a PM to get his attention would work better. He only rarely stops here on the HD section so may not see this.

· Registered
2018 RAM 1500 Tradesman Ecodiesel
143 Posts
How are you liking those?
I cannot say, really. I mean, they haven't given me any issues yet, but because I use my truck mostly for towing and because my engine imploding this summer on my first real trip killed the season for me, they have had limited use. Anything I were to say now about longevity would be premature. They hold air, and the ride is fine is about all I can say at this point.

· Registered
Vehicle descriptions in signature
1,480 Posts
The first thing I did with my new 2016 1500 Eco and my 2020 3500 HO was change to Falken Wildpeak AT/3Ws E rated because I experienced their offroad performance and I needed snow rated tires. While they have performed as advertised I will next go to Michelin Agilis Crossclimate's on both trucks.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
The first thing I did with my new 2016 1500 Eco and my 2020 3500 HO was change to Falken Wildpeak AT/3Ws E rated because I experienced their offroad performance and I needed snow rated tires. While they have performed as advertised I will next go to Michelin Agilis Crossclimate's on both trucks.
I'm curious why you plan to go to the Agilis? It seems like most folks on here use the Defender in the Michelin line. The LTX has the deepest tread and weighs 2.5 # more than the Agilis. The LTX is also the least expensive from Walmart; I haven't got the Costco price yet, but only the Agilis is in stock. I'm not sure what "Standard" means for the warranty.
Font Rectangle Parallel Screenshot Number
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light

Reactions: VernDiesel

· Registered
1,480 Posts
I'm curious why you plan to go to the Agilis? It seems like most folks on here use the Defender in the Michelin line. The LTX has the deepest tread and weighs 2.5 # more than the Agilis. The LTX is also the least expensive from Walmart; I haven't got the Costco price yet, but only the Agilis is in stock. I'm not sure what "Standard" means for the warranty.
1 - They rate very high and are snow rated. Been looking for a hiway type tread vs the AT tread for better MPG but have to have snow rated. I believe Agilis is the only one meeting that criteria (the Defender does not).
2 - Brother went to them because of their ratings and learned that Amazon has them on all of their Prime Vans. Brother has tried all of the popular brands and has found Agilis to be everything advertised and the best he's tried. He tows, drives local, at high speed on freeways, over old logging roads, and has been in heavy rain and ice. And he's very critical.
3 - I used to be a Defender LTX fan until I had a bad experience with the tire and Michelin. The tires were six years old but only 4500 miles on them and had tread separations and some serious damage to my truck. The factory did nothing because they were over five years old. No more Defenders for me.

Tread depth means nothing to me as I'm a very low mileage user, my tires age out way before they wear out.

· Premium Member
2019 Ram 2500 Cummins - EX Ecodiesel owner.
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
View attachment 93660 View attachment 93661
This tends to piss me off. It shows I bought the wrong tire. Loser as usual I guess.

I bought LTX Defender M/S. Today I just checked. 12/32 left after 5.5 thousand miles. If tire mileage is linear these will get about 45K miles +-. My original Firestones did 46.8K. Now there is another thing to consider.

Price.

The above shows the LTX AT2 at near $1,400 without taxes, mounting, balancing and other stupid fees. That's got be be another $200 or more added on. I paid $1,270 OUT THE DOOR. Actually there is no "door" but you should understand. That means my actual cost per tire would have been about $270 each plus the tax, mounting, balancing and other stupid fees. To get tires mail order is yet another hassle. You have to handle the things, drive around and see just what an independent dealer will charge to demount your old tires, mount the new ones you did not buy there and deal with the balance, charges and tax. Plus, you have to deal with the frowns and bad karma from people you beg to do the job for you.

Not for me. I like to leave people with a smile, either laughing with me or at me.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
926 Posts
1 - They rate very high and are snow rated. Been looking for a hiway type tread vs the AT tread for better MPG but have to have snow rated. I believe Agilis is the only one meeting that criteria (the Defender does not).
2 - Brother went to them because of their ratings and learned that Amazon has them on all of their Prime Vans. Brother has tried all of the popular brands and has found Agilis to be everything advertised and the best he's tried. He tows, drives local, at high speed on freeways, over old logging roads, and has been in heavy rain and ice. And he's very critical.
3 - I used to be a Defender LTX fan until I had a bad experience with the tire and Michelin. The tires were six years old but only 4500 miles on them and had tread separations and some serious damage to my truck. The factory did nothing because they were over five years old. No more Defenders for me.

Tread depth means nothing to me as I'm a very low mileage user, my tires age out way before they wear out.
Thanks. Like most in these tire discussions, I'm going in circles. I am/was leaning towards the Defender, but also looking at the Cooper Discoverer HT3 or Nitto Crosstek 2. It will be mostly towing, almost all highway, so I'd like the smallest hit to MPG, comfort, and noise.

EDIT: I got hold of someone at Costco and he gave a good argument for the Agilis but said the LTX A/T2 didn't hit MPG much. I'm still checking into the other two.

Reactions: John Jensen

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
215 Posts
This tends to piss me off. It shows I bought the wrong tire. Loser as usual I guess.

I bought LTX Defender M/S. Today I just checked. 12/32 left after 5.5 thousand miles. If tire mileage is linear these will get about 45K miles +-. My original Firestones did 46.8K. Now there is another thing to consider.

Price.

The above shows the LTX AT2 at near $1,400 without taxes, mounting, balancing and other stupid fees. That's got be be another $200 or more added on. I paid $1,270 OUT THE DOOR. Actually there is no "door" but you should understand. That means my actual cost per tire would have been about $270 each plus the tax, mounting, balancing and other stupid fees. To get tires mail order is yet another hassle. You have to handle the things, drive around and see just what an independent dealer will charge to demount your old tires, mount the new ones you did not buy there and deal with the balance, charges and tax. Plus, you have to deal with the frowns and bad karma from people you beg to do the job for you.

Not for me. I like to leave people with a smile, either laughing with me or at me.
Most good, reputable shops are more than willing to let you pay them to mount and balance tires that you bring in (as long as they're less than 5 years old). No begging needed, it's typically discouraged even. The good shops aren't making much off the tires they sell anyway, it's all in the labor charge.

· Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
What’s anybody found on the Falken Wildpeak?

· Registered
2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Big Horn Granite Crystal 4x4 CC 6'4" box
1,114 Posts

My son just changed out a set on his 19 Hemi. he had 65k miles on them but with a couple snow falls and wet roads he got a new set. He works on construction sites and now flats but rotated regularly. He has the AT3W.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
As I said in #64 I have them on both trucks. I've had them in all conditions, on and off road and they have been excellent. Great traction off road and in rain. I'm going to Agilis as I believe the Agilis hiway tread and less weight will give me better MPG than the AT type tread. My driving has changed to all surfaced roads, no need for the AT treads anymore. A lot of things and habits change when you hit 89 years :(

· Super Moderator
4,174 Posts
John I do very little off roading either. But my son has the Wildpeak on his 22 ED and its been quiet & smooth despite e load and an AT looking tread pattern. 46k last I saw them and wearing very well. This is why I asked. See if anybody knew where the best place to buy them was. And at 89 you are doing quite well. Keep active don't sit. Dads 96 moms 94.

· Registered
1,480 Posts
John I do very little off roading either. But my son has the Wildpeak on his 22 ED and its been quiet & smooth despite e load and an AT looking tread pattern. 46k last I saw them and wearing very well. This is why I asked. See if anybody knew where the best place to buy them was. And at 89 you are doing quite well. Keep active don't sit. Dads 96 moms 94.
Vern,
I agree, they look and perform great, but I have it in my head that a hiway tread will help my lousy mpg. If that's true it would be worth sacrificing the look. If not I would definitely return to the Wildpeak AT/3Ws, but would probably opt for the D rates as I no longer need the Es. That begs another question, will the lighter Ds reduce mileage as much as Agilis Es? Maybe.

When I bought them for my Eco Discount tire had the best deal because they would match an online price. I believe they still do that. When I bought for my HO my local dealer made the best deal.

Glad to hear your mom and dad are still with you - nice.

· Registered
2017 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn CC/SB EcoDiesel
215 Posts
As I said in #64 I have them on both trucks. I've had them in all conditions, on and off road and they have been excellent. Great traction off road and in rain. I'm going to Agilis as I believe the Agilis hiway tread and less weight will give me better MPG than the AT type tread. My driving has changed to all surfaced roads, no need for the AT treads anymore. A lot of things and habits change when you hit 89 years :(
89?! I wouldn't put you a day over 88.;)

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Your contributions always have great insight and knowledge, I can't tell you how much we all benefit from information that helps provide insight to where and how we should invest our hard earned dollars and I don't need to mention how expensive things are. Sir your have our thanks!

· Registered
1,480 Posts

· Registered
1,480 Posts
Your contributions always have great insight and knowledge, I can't tell you how much we all benefit from information that helps provide insight to where and how we should invest our hard earned dollars and I don't need to mention how expensive things are. Sir your have our thanks!
Thanks Joe. Much appreciated.

Reactions: TexasJoe

· Registered
926 Posts
I agree, they look and perform great, but I have it in my head that a hiway tread will help my lousy mpg. If that's true it would be worth sacrificing the look. If not I would definitely return to the Wildpeak AT/3Ws, but would probably opt for the D rates as I no longer need the Es. That begs another question, will the lighter Ds reduce mileage as much as Agilis Es? Maybe.
I also thought that LR D would be a big improvement over the passenger rated SLs that come on (almost?) every model except the Rebel, but I haven't run across any in my searches. Therefore, I think I need to go to Es, and I'm so far looking at these three, all of which are LT, 123 load rating (E):

Michelin Agilis $1370, 53 lbs, 12.5/32" tread, no tread life warranty

Cooper Discoverer HT3 $1180, 50 lbs, 14.5/32" tread, 50,000 miles

Nitto Dura Grappler $1063 (or $1004 maybe), 55 lbs, 16.8/32" tread, 45,000 or 60,000 miles (not sure which)

I like the lighter weight and efficient looking tread of the Coopers. The price of the Nittos is attractive, of course. I'll mention again that I will drive almost all highway miles, about 2/3 towing. I'm looking at Es for puncture resistance and steadier towing, although I didn't perceive an issue with towing with the SR-As on the Classic. I would like to take the smallest hit to MPG possible. The third photo is the Cooper HT3.

I welcome any suggestions. I've found a couple of sets of Rebel rims for good prices, but both are 2 hours away. I prefer the looks but hesitate to drive that far for them.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

61 - 80 of 84 Posts