RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
6,600 miles and covered with mud, I cleaned the truck off today after a hunting trip. Figured it time to look at the air cleaner.

First issue is taking that cover off. Sure you loosen the bolts and they are captured to not get lost but the box top is stuck under a fender brace. Only thing I figured to do was to remove the 6 bolts completely and slide the thing away from that brace. PIA but did it and out comes the deepest pleat filter I ever saw. Filthy with things in the pleats, I banged it on the floor and knocked out a whole lot of dirt. Looked into the bottom and there was a zoo there. Multiple large dragon flies, mega bugs, dirt, a live ladybug from my Georgia camp and more.

It is obvious that this new design engine has an airbox that sucks things straight into it. Going to have to figure out how to somehow baffle the front or it will just continue to fill with crap unlike anything I ever owned.

Anyone with one of the new ones have a clue on fixing that?

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
Capt I think you have the Ram Active Air filter box. It changes where the air is drawn from depending on temperature and vehicle load.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I could barely see there is just a hole in the from of the airbox and no plenum going in. Surely I must be wrong but could not see anything sticking out from the front of that box. It
would then need some kind of screen to stop big critters from getting in. Surely it cannot be an open hole to the grill . Or could it?

Hoping someone actually has a picture or drawing of the darn thing. My Ecodiesel was way, way better than this thing for a clean air box.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My active air sucks in everything from bugs to errant children. I suppose if you drive miss daisy, you won't open up the active air and suck from the grill.

My truck has no brace blocking the air box. But yes, the 6.7L filter is a beast. Massive pleats where the leading edges will fill up right quick. The filter is designed to carry about a pound of debris. Mine was black and looked completely blocked but between the pleats was pretty clean.
I will check what mileage I changed mine at and if i still have some pictures. It looked bad but performance and mileage were just fine and no check engine lights came on.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First answer is "No".

Good to see what that active air looks like but mine is just a solid box on the bottom. Only hole I see going in is a rather small one at the front bottom. Getting my top off is an ordeal of 6 bolts that need jammed OUT and the top pushed inwards to clear a fender brace before removal. Very different.

Now the filter looks to be like that one in the video. What that means is BIG.

Must go to an appointment right now and then deal with a tire holding some large metal object. When I get back I will tear into the thing again and take some pictures.

Super thanks for the help.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hard to feel smart when you're that stupid. Yesterday I missed seeing this huge plenum coming down from the top of the fan shroud into the bottom side of the airbox.
44353854-274A-456B-9978-6CF178ED9D8A by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

How big is the hole?
686AE8AD-24A3-4589-8CE9-616F8532F2B9 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Notice there are no active air shutters. Just a plain old airbox bottom. Evidently the debris is getting in from up under the top of the fan shroud. I did not feel like taking it off to see where the inlet is and could not see it through the grill. That is where a screen could go. To pus something at the bottom would just clog up the inlet as it built up in front of air box entrance. Now it may make sense to place some kind of screen over the bottom of the huge filter pleats.
91445A5A-C69D-4136-A7C1-A436715838CA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

6 bolts to remove before moving the cover toward the engine to clear that front/right fender brace. This creature is no Ecodiesel with clips. Not aware of any immediate way to stop the intrusion of big critters. Crappy design in my opinion.

FCA with crappy design? Never happen.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Hard to feel smart when you're that stupid. Yesterday I missed seeing this huge plenum coming down from the top of the fan shroud into the bottom side of the airbox.
44353854-274A-456B-9978-6CF178ED9D8A by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

How big is the hole?
686AE8AD-24A3-4589-8CE9-616F8532F2B9 by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

Notice there are no active air shutters. Just a plain old airbox bottom. Evidently the debris is getting in from up under the top of the fan shroud. I did not feel like taking it off to see where the inlet is and could not see it through the grill. That is where a screen could go. To pus something at the bottom would just clog up the inlet as it built up in front of air box entrance. Now it may make sense to place some kind of screen over the bottom of the huge filter pleats.
91445A5A-C69D-4136-A7C1-A436715838CA by Larry Malinoski, on Flickr

6 bolts to remove before moving the cover toward the engine to clear that front/right fender brace. This creature is no Ecodiesel with clips. Not aware of any immediate way to stop the intrusion of big critters. Crappy design in my opinion.

FCA with crappy design? Never happen.
Every vehicle I've know here lately always pulls from the fender well. Clearly from your pic the new design is pulling straight through the grill. Not very smart in my opinion. FCA doesnt win many "smart" contests in my book.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
357 Posts
Oh wow they sure did change the design!! I can see your pain on that.

By the way, your filter looks mint. Run that girl much longer.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
never would have tought of getting air from there ..
pressurised air from the fan pushing it to air box , nice .
warmer air already heated going thru the rad , kind of defeats the Inter cooler purpose ,
but what do I know , :unsure: .. Cummins and Ram must know what they are doing ...

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Going to someday take that shroud off and see just were they do the actual intake. I think it is ABOVE the fan but still directly behind the top of the grill.

Something sure is like an open mouth catching things as you go down the road.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, yours is dirty. Only thing is I had way, way more "critters" both on mine and in the bottom of the air box. Could easily be the difference between Canada and South Florida. Here we are slaughtered by bugs. Even today it was 84* and I got hit with a Love Bug while out riding motorcycle.

Kind of liken the air box on the new models as riding down the road on motorcycle, no windshield, with your mouth wide open. Hideous design.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts