RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologize if this post is redundant, was new to me. At dealer yesterday and informed the HPFP on 14-19 are being replaced under recall beginning 10/2023.
Heavily qualified statements regarding priority and limited availability.

· Registered
2015 Bighorn, CC, 6'4", 4x4, 3.55
870 Posts
I knew about the recall, but hadn't heard when exactly parts would be available. A month or 2 ago I think someone mentioned June of 23, shortly after that I heard 3rd quarter of 23, 10/23 would be in that ball park, so it might be accurate. But with our luck there will likely be some other unforeseen delay that pushes it back to 2024

· Registered
2016 Laramie Limited Crew Cab 4x4 with Deleted Air Suspension and GDE Hot Tune. 276,000 KM.
2,347 Posts
I knew about the recall, but hadn't heard when exactly parts would be available. A month or 2 ago I think someone mentioned June of 23, shortly after that I heard 3rd quarter of 23, 10/23 would be in that ball park, so it might be accurate. But with our luck there will likely be some other unforeseen delay that pushes it back to 2024
We'll probably see other recalls before 10/23!!......lol

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
915 Posts
Notice dated 6/16/2022.
"Federal law requires you to complete this recall service on these vehicles before retail delivery. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $21,000 per vehicle. "

That's why they don't add the new production to the recall until after they're sold, even though they are reported to have the same fuel pump as those already in the recall! I bought mine in October and expect it to be added pretty soon. Either that or they already are installing the new, improved pump that we hear hasn't been produced yet!!!

· Registered
2015 Laramie loaded
118 Posts
See my other post about "The Saga Continues", but my dealership just received my new warranty replacement engine and while it is still in the shipping crate, the service tech thinks it looks different from the ones he has seen on existing engines and may infact be a new HPFP. We will know when it gets out of the crate next week sometime.

· Registered
2022 RAM 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab, 4X2 EcoDiesel, 3.21, 5' 7", Beautiful Billet Silver
915 Posts
See my other post about "The Saga Continues", but my dealership just received my new warranty replacement engine and while it is still in the shipping crate, the service tech thinks it looks different from the ones he has seen on existing engines and may infact be a new HPFP. We will know when it gets out of the crate next week sometime.
That would be interesting if they have a new design/update that hasn't been reported. Let us know when you find out.

Reactions: Mopar73340

· Registered
7 Posts
Following this as well.
I have the failure and have been denied reimbursement. When I call FCA customer service it was state that could not process my request for reimbursement because they did not have a repair solution yet.

· Registered
2016 Ecodiesel Big Horn 4x4
27 Posts
My truck is down as well. I called the dealer and they gave me FCA's recall number. 800 853 1403 same number on the recall paperwork. Called them and they said their system was down and would return my call, I spoke to an agent not a recording. 1/13/23 around 6PM Eastern time.

They were not able to tell me if a tow or loaner would be covered, due to their system being down. The dealer, Napleton which seems to be fairly large on the East coast, was not able to provide anymore detail than to have it brought in to be diagnosed. Other posts have said similar things, requiring out of pocket payment and reimbursement at a later date, but I'm not too thrilled at forking out possibly 10k for a new engine as mentioned in other posts.

I have a P0087 fuel rail system pressure - too low bank 1 and P016F closed loop fuel pressure control at limit - pressure too low codes. I was only feet from my driveway when the CEL came on and the engine started chugging immediately and pulled into my driveway for it to completely stall.

Sorry they are large pictures.

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue
Font News Electronic device Newspaper Screenshot

· Registered
27 Posts
FCA never called back so I called them back on 1/20/23. The CSA was a little reluctant to provide information, stating a fix has not been found mostly, but I did manage to find out that my warranty covered towing but I would have to submit it for reimbursement to FCA. Based on a few other posts I think that means out of my pocket and get bent, but we shall see. Their suggestion was to take it to the dealer and see if there is an alternative solution to the issue until the recall parts are available. My thought on that is out of my pocket again and struggle with reimbursement since it would not technically be part of the recall. I'll add in what the dealer says if anyone cares to see the progression while possibly going through the same situation.

· Registered
915 Posts
FCA never called back so I called them back on 1/20/23. The CSA was a little reluctant to provide information, stating a fix has not been found mostly, but I did manage to find out that my warranty covered towing but I would have to submit it for reimbursement to FCA. Based on a few other posts I think that means out of my pocket and get bent, but we shall see. Their suggestion was to take it to the dealer and see if there is an alternative solution to the issue until the recall parts are available. My thought on that is out of my pocket again and struggle with reimbursement since it would not technically be part of the recall. I'll add in what the dealer says if anyone cares to see the progression while possibly going through the same situation.
We have no idea how old your truck is. Under warranty?

Request for vehicle info in profiles | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum

Reactions: hinkle

· Registered
27 Posts
Spoke with the dealer, which they have been very good and helpful, but they need to check with their service manager about possible solutions. When questioned they did state it would be an out of pocket solution to the issue and I would have to submit a claim to FCA for reimbursement. Why I say they are good is because they are on the same page as me that it could possibly not be covered since a fix has not been released at this time.

Not trying to turn this into one of those long winded back stories about how your parents are from Italy and you're cooking your macaroni and cheese, in a cast iron over monumental oak tenuta bocchineri, on the beach in Sicily, while your Benetti yacht is rustling in the waves, but we all need a little laugh now and then.

· Registered
27 Posts
We have no idea how old your truck is. Under warranty?

Request for vehicle info in profiles | RAM 1500 Diesel Forum
It is a 2016 with 64,xxx miles. The only modification has been a bed cap with the AFE recall done, so warranty should be 120000 miles. I meant to include this but my mistake, and thank you for pointing it out. The truck itself was a lease vehicle that was turned back in with 15000 miles, approximately. It was returned to this dealer within a few days that I purchased it, as they had not even had a chance to clean it. They did do an overhaul prior to me taking the vehicle home.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up, added vehicle info as suggested.

· Registered
73 Posts
Spoke with the dealer, which they have been very good and helpful, but they need to check with their service manager about possible solutions. When questioned they did state it would be an out of pocket solution to the issue and I would have to submit a claim to FCA for reimbursement. Why I say they are good is because they are on the same page as me that it could possibly not be covered since a fix has not been released at this time.

Not trying to turn this into one of those long winded back stories about how your parents are from Italy and you're cooking your macaroni and cheese, in a cast iron over monumental oak tenuta bocchineri, on the beach in Sicily, while your Benetti yacht is rustling in the waves, but we all need a little laugh now and then.
Per another thread on here the new HPFP is already being installed in Canada so there is a fix they just cant get the parts not unlike the EGR cooler recall parts fiasco. If your vehicle is under warranty they have replaced with the old HPFP to get you back on the road (but this might have been before the safety recall) unless you just want to wait for the new one which sounds like it could be as early as June or as late as 2024 before we start seeing them in the States.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
I bet this is the real reason why FCA discontinued the EcoDiesel in the Ram and Wrangler. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there was no way Bosch, the supplier, could manufacture and supply enough CP4 pumps to satisfy both, the new engines going into production and the recalls.

• Sad
Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
73 Posts
I bet this is the real reason why FCA discontinued the EcoDiesel in the Ram and Wrangler. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing there was no way Bosch, the supplier, could manufacture and supply enough CP4 pumps to satisfy both, the new engines going into production and the recalls.
It probably didn't help but that's not the main reason, like Ford discontinuing their 3.0 powerstroke the main reason is the auto manufacturers moving towards electrification.

· Registered
4,296 Posts
It probably didn't help but that's not the main reason, like Ford discontinuing their 3.0 powerstroke the main reason is the auto manufacturers moving towards electrification.
Moving to electrification was Ram's public excuse, but I don't believe that to be true. Ram suddenly dropped the EcoDiesel, and it wasn't because it wasn't selling. It was widely popular, even to the point that Ram said the EcoDiesel was outperforming sale expectations. There was something else going on, and I wouldn't be surprised if the CP4 recall wasn't enough to drop it.

VM Motori was already having to mass produce gen II EcoDiesel engines to satisfy warranty, which I'm sure cut down on Gen III production. There may have been a combination of reasons, but I think the CP4 recall was enough to halt production.

Reactions: keiths487too

· Registered
73 Posts
Diesel prices are another factor, I'm sure they didn't forsee diesel was going to be nearly twice the price as gas for years on end when they stated putting the ecodiesels in Jeeps and Rams in 2013. At one time ecodiesels made up 25% or the RAM 1500 fleet, they were doing it to get their EPA rating up. I don't think they were selling as well as you think, a sales rep recently told me the price of diesel has absolutely crushed the half ton diesel market, Ford got out early Chevy will soon too just watch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts