RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing a variety of reading this morning and it seems there have been some efficiency improvements and gearing changes on the ZF 8 spd transmission.

They claim an efficiency improvement of 2.5%. The gear ratios have also changed some and now cover a wider range. Low gear was 4.7143:1 and now seems to be 5.00:1, 8th was 0.6667:1 and is now 0.64:1. Reverse has gotten a bit lower and has gone from 3.3168:1 to 3.4560:1

Changes should result in a bit better lower end performance and a bit higher overdrive top gear for better mileage. Reverse being a bit lower geared wil be welcome to all too. AS best I can see these gearing changes affect all engines.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I don't know if they did or not, but they need to adjust the spacing of the 2-3 shift/ratio. Mine lugs like hell when it shifts to 3rd if your not getting on it to make it wrap the gears out.

Good start on reverse, think they should have taken a few steps further.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I don't know if they did or not, but they need to adjust the spacing of the 2-3 shift/ratio. Mine lugs like hell when it shifts to 3rd if your not getting on it to make it wrap the gears out.

Good start on reverse, think they should have taken a few steps further.
Sounds like a TCM programming issue.

The end user will likely not notice such small subtle ratio changes. But they are in the right direction.

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
That weak reverse issue need all the help it can get. Should be a bit better now if you buy a new one.

Guessing no dipstick or change in check and fill operation. That's something I could never understand.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That weak reverse issue need all the help it can get. Should be a bit better now if you buy a new one.

Guessing no dipstick or change in check and fill operation. That's something I could never understand.
in the past a fairly common transmission problem was people checking the level wrong, thinking it was low and adding fluid and overfilling it. Perhaps it was an attempt at idiot proofing it given the so much longer lasting fluids and seals and filters nowadays. Most people can go the the full life of the car for them (100,000) without worrying about transmission levels or fluid changes. Many online sources call the life of a modern car or light truck 200,000 miles. So one fluid change for many.

I am not saying I like it either but for the manufacturer I think there is some logic to it now that wasn't there in the 50s or 60s.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hi: All... I have never changed tranny fluid in any auto I have ever owned. My last truck was a PITA to check it due to the dip being bolted to the case. Takes a mega extension w/ knuckle to get it out. Report was always the same... red not burnt even though I towed a lot. Thanks for that Nissan!!! The "Male sheep" weak spot in the ZF is reverse. Trying to push my 5th. up the drive causes a hissy fit w/ plenty of noise and rpm's but he gets the job done. It's kinda like backing yourself up the stairs pushing a heavy crate.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi: All... I have never changed tranny fluid in any auto I have ever owned. My last truck was a PITA to check it due to the dip being bolted to the case. Takes a mega extension w/ knuckle to get it out. Report was always the same... red not burnt even though I towed a lot. Thanks for that Nissan!!! The "Male sheep" weak spot in the ZF is reverse. Trying to push my 5th. up the drive causes a hissy fit w/ plenty of noise and rpm's but he gets the job done. It's kinda like backing yourself up the stairs pushing a heavy crate.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.
put it in low range 4wd when backing requiring a hard push

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
put it in low range 4wd when backing requiring a hard push
I tried to do that one time using the front tow hooks and a chain to pull out a tree stump. Better - yes. It still did not work and I backed into another tree.

Turned around and pulled that stump out going forward. Major difference. The ZF sure needs help in reverse.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I tried to do that one time using the front tow hooks and a chain to pull out a tree stump. Better - yes. It still did not work and I backed into another tree.

Turned around and pulled that stump out going forward. Major difference. The ZF sure needs help in reverse.
And tore up the road in the process

1 - 9 of 9 Posts