RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I am currently looking to buy a replacement pan with filter for my first transmission service. I have noticed all sorts of pans available on the internet that more or less all look the same for huge price spreads starting at $95 and up too $275. I noticed mopar has a USA made version that they claim is for the 8HP40/45 used in 3.6L V6 cars & trucks and those can be had for $100 all day long with the bolt kit. The part # for our truck's 8HP70 is 68225344AA and is sourced from Germany and can be had for about $185 with bolts. They look identical in photographs! Both made by Filtran. Does anybody know what the differences are and are they interchangeable? I might assume that our part # holds more oil but has anyone confirmed this? Heck I even found some BMW and Audi pans that looked like they would fit...and cheaper than mopar...possibly the exact same part with a BMW or Audi part #. Just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge about this. Thank you.
John

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ive wondered the same thing..... Hope we find out! I'm assuming they are all different in depth/dimensions to some extent?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Hello all. I am currently looking to buy a replacement pan with filter for my first transmission service. I have noticed all sorts of pans available on the internet that more or less all look the same for huge price spreads starting at $95 and up too $275. I noticed mopar has a USA made version that they claim is for the 8HP40/45 used in 3.6L V6 cars & trucks and those can be had for $100 all day long with the bolt kit. The part # for our truck's 8HP70 is 68225344AA and is sourced from Germany and can be had for about $185 with bolts. They look identical in photographs! Both made by Filtran. Does anybody know what the differences are and are they interchangeable? I might assume that our part # holds more oil but has anyone confirmed this? Heck I even found some BMW and Audi pans that looked like they would fit...and cheaper than mopar...possibly the exact same part with a BMW or Audi part #. Just wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge about this. Thank you.
John
Ditto to wondering. Changed mine at 148,500 and used the Mopar 8HP70 pan and ZF fluids. Took parts to trans shop and only charged me 1 hr labor.

How many miles on fluid? See attached: View attachment ZF Lab.pdf

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Waiting on my PPE pan. Not plastic, higher capacity, and cheaper services over the life of the truck

Reactions: navyr113

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well we're all going to find out real soon because I just purchased both pans. My father has a 2014 Chrysler 300 3.6L with 60k miles so that was my reasoning for buying both. I will drop my pan and really compare them with each other and will see if it's more than just country of origin. I paid $94 with free shipping for Mopar #68233701AA. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran. The other one is Mopar #68225344AA for $182. It's a German made Filtran. They both look identical. Who knows, if they are identical I may just end up installing the cheaper one on my ecodiesel and return the expensive one. Why would I pay $88 more just for German? Oh BTW...when I was purchasing the cheaper U.S. made pan, Ebay app had a tab to check if part will fit my vehicle. I selected all my trucks options including the engine type as 3.0L V6 Diesel and it said yes it would fit. Not that I trust ebay's system for parts compatibility but that definitely drove my decision to try. Worst case scenario it doesn't work or the oil capacity is way less and I'll just give it to my pops for his car. So anyways thanks and I will post my findings here in about a week.
John

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Well we're all going to find out real soon because I just purchased both pans. My father has a 2014 Chrysler 300 3.6L with 60k miles so that was my reasoning for buying both. I will drop my pan and really compare them with each other and will see if it's more than just country of origin. I paid $94 with free shipping for Mopar #68233701AA. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran. The other one is Mopar #68225344AA for $182. It's a German made Filtran. They both look identical. Who knows, if they are identical I may just end up installing the cheaper one on my ecodiesel and return the expensive one. Why would I pay $88 more just for German? Oh BTW...when I was purchasing the cheaper U.S. made pan, Ebay app had a tab to check if part will fit my vehicle. I selected all my trucks options including the engine type as 3.0L V6 Diesel and it said yes it would fit. Not that I trust ebay's system for parts compatibility but that definitely drove my decision to try. Worst case scenario it doesn't work or the oil capacity is way less and I'll just give it to my pops for his car. So anyways thanks and I will post my findings here in about a week.
John
Good call...did not think of that. Also I put 74k on a 2014 black 300s 3.8 in 14 months. Traded for ED 11/2015...fantastic car and traded off before value plummeted at 100k. Saw it last month...110k now and remains mint.

When my lazy son graduates UNF c/o 2021 I will either....sell him my ED (my decision) or find a mint used 300s Hemi and customize how he wants...

Depends on the 2022 Rebel ED and 7.0l pricing...consumer reviews by then...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have not posted photographs on a forum in the longest time so bear with me and the mistakes that I will most likely make. Anyways I recieved both my transmission pans and much to my surprise, they are absolutely identical! I was honestly expecting the ecodiesel 8HP70D pan to be deeper and have a higher capacity but that simply isn't the case. I will try to post the pictures that I took to compare them. Bottom line is, save your money and buy the Mopar part #68233701AA for a 3.6L V6 model. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran and is priced at less than $100 shipped all over the internet and possibly even at a dealership near you.
John

20180913_165337.jpg 20180913_165348.jpg 20180913_165353.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
481 Posts
Same patent numbers. Interesting....

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have not posted photographs on a forum in the longest time so bear with me and the mistakes that I will most likely make. Anyways I recieved both my transmission pans and much to my surprise, they are absolutely identical! I was honestly expecting the ecodiesel 8HP70D pan to be deeper and have a higher capacity but that simply isn't the case. I will try to post the pictures that I took to compare them. Bottom line is, save your money and buy the Mopar part #68233701AA for a 3.6L V6 model. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran and is priced at less than $100 shipped all over the internet and possibly even at a dealership near you.
John

View attachment 75064 View attachment 75068 View attachment 75070
Same number of magnets in the pan??

·
Registered
183 Posts
this is great information. this pan with amsoil ATF makes this transmission service not bad at all. its 1600$ CAD in ontario. insane.

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
after writing all the right info to get to part :: , Rock auto takes me to a different result , evenhas the right part number , $ 242 CDN , instead of $ 142 CDN in your link ,,
in your link Eddy there are a few part numbers at the bottom , but not our truck's number ,
did you use the Car info Acerock put in previous post to get your link ??

with our truck's info , it takes me to this linked page :
https://www.rockauto.com/fr/catalog/ram,2015,1500,3.0l+v6+diesel+turbocharged,3310235,transmission-automatic,oil+pan,8546

·
Registered
183 Posts
ok so selected HP70 from dormans website and it says it wont fit. you are saying its identical?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
'you are saying its identical? " - Eddy...this is exactly the response 'my first wife' gives...JK

Never said that LmAo...the website does suggest an option with a removable/replaceable filter. I paid $170 for the MOPAR at my dealer. The OPer seemed to verify the 8HP45 & 8HP70 pans were identicle w/ different prices and part #'s.

I will say the Dorman pan is worth getting and matching IF and ONLY IF it is returnable unused. This pan will be my next when I do my tranny change at 250k..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry I have not been on this forum in a while. I took a bunch of pictures of the pans but had a hard time to upload them. I ended up doing the transmission service on my father's Chrysler 300 V6 first and for experimentation I bolted up the German made 8HP70 pan for my truck to his transmission just to make sure there wasn't a small difference that I couldn't catch with my eye. These 2 pans are absolutely the same in every dimension. Now it may be possible that the built in filter is slightly different but even those seem to have very close part #s. Bottom line next time I service my ecodiesel's transmission, I won't hesitate to buy the cheaper U.S made Filtran.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
I will drop my pan and really compare them with each other and will see if it's more than just country of origin. I paid $94 with free shipping for Mopar #68233701AA. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran. The other one is Mopar #68225344AA for $182. It's a German made Filtran. They both look identical. Who knows, if they are identical I may just end up installing the cheaper one on my ecodiesel and return the expensive one. Why would I pay $88 more just for German?
Thank You! I purchased the less expensive 68233701AA based on this thread, and I can confirm that it is identical to the more expensive 68225344AA in every way. Thanks again for the information.

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
The part number difference of the filter itself suggests they are not identical in every way I would strongly recommend using oil analysis to confirm the filter is actually performing correctly with this application.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The part number difference of the filter itself suggests they are not identical in every way I would strongly recommend using oil analysis to confirm the filter is actually performing correctly with this application.
Not trying to start a who's right or wrong issue on the internet, but both of these are exactly the same other than where they are made. Identical. But hey, buy the more expensive one if you want, it's your money, and that's certainly what FCA wants you to do.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts