RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
ZF recommends transmission service for severe duty at 100,000 km or 60,000 miles per ZF website just google it.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Does the old gasket transfer over onto the PPE pan or is it best practice to order a new pan.
The gasket is a rubber type and it transfers over just fine. You'll also need to reuse the stainless spacers in each pan bolt hole.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those using the PPE pan, did you reuse the old OEM gasket and bolts with spacers? If not, where did you source new ones?
  1. Also, which finish did you go with? The black pan is powder coated (as per PPE stated in an email exchange I had). I'm buying this pan to help cooling. Powder coating adds a layer that inhibits heat transfer. They should have anodized.

·
Registered
364 Posts
For those using the PPE pan, did you reuse the old OEM gasket and bolts with spacers? If not, where did you source new ones?
  1. Also, which finish did you go with? The black pan is powder coated (as per PPE stated in an email exchange I had). I'm buying this pan to help cooling. Powder coating adds a layer that inhibits heat transfer. They should have anodized.
Bolts and spacers are reused. OEM gasket will be reused. Or your local Ram dealership has them for 13$.

I went with raw finish because it was cheaper. Doubt powdercoating has any measurable difference in heat release. swaintech.com offers a heat release type coating that may help by 1-3 degrees. They mostly use the coating on intercoolers and brake calipers.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
finish only for looks , this transmission is coolant cooled , and heated to help bring up to temp ,
has a termal bypass valve attached to it . the heat '' exchanger '' bolted to it looks a little like the
oil cooler on the engine .
--------------
Recognize your Thumb Captain ?????????????? LOL .
-----------------------
post # 3 in this linked thread talks about " normal " temperatures for the transmission .

====> Trans temps

normal temp operating range is 175-212f. .. posted on site here somewhere.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes "Ziggy", I realize that. There was however no mention, that I could find, about the bolts. I also was curious of everyone's choose of finish and the reason for that choice. So the question in it's entirety was not "literally" just answered.
Thanks "overlook", exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Yes "Ziggy", I realize that. There was however no mention, that I could find, about the bolts. I also was curious of everyone's choose of finish and the reason for that choice. So the question in it's entirety was not "literally" just answered.
Thanks "overlook", exactly what I was looking for.
Sorry. I'm curmudgeonly and sometimes jump the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Changed pans yesterday.

Huge improvement in 1-2 gear shifts. Maybe placebo, but the other gears shift better as well. 1-2 shifts before was almost harsh like a shift kit in a old Camaro, to the point i often used 2nd gear when starting off. Used Amsoil fluid with 1/2 bottle of Slick50 transmission additive. About 7 liters was used. About 1/2 liter drained back out as I was warming the transmission up.

I should had done this sooner. Truck has near 80k miles. Last 15k was GDE trans tuned.

I was shocked at how much metal was on the factory pan magnets. I cleaned them and glued them back into the bottom of the PPE pan. Extra magnets can't hurt.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts