RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
41 - 60 of 169 Posts

· Registered
2014 Lonestar EcoDiesel 4X4
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I do tow a 6,500-7,000lb Airstream travel trailer some. The last oil sample that was 5,500 miles about half was towing. I don't work it hard the rest of the time. Just highway miles in normal Texas driving 70-75 MPH.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I don't know if this will help, and I doubt it would hurt, but I'm giving it a try. I've been told the esters in this can clean rings and possibly make elastomers in seals swell a tiny but and seal leaks.
We shall see.

After I run this I'm going to switch to High Performance Lubricants (HPL) CK-4 HDEO. HPL seems to be the 'cool' oil to use these days on BITOG. If you buy some, don't forget the 15% off with code BITOG15

· Registered
33 Posts
Last oil change could not get t6 had yo go with mobile esp. 5 40. Now at 200k needing oil change I get message that oil viscosity is low and truck goes into limp mode. Have to stop what I am doing and complete oil change. Saved the oil and ordered oil analysis to check. Anyone else had the ecu. tell them the oil was bad?

· Registered
3,858 Posts
Last oil change could not get t6 had yo go with mobile esp. 5 40. Now at 200k needing oil change I get message that oil viscosity is low and truck goes into limp mode. Have to stop what I am doing and complete oil change. Saved the oil and ordered oil analysis to check. Anyone else had the ecu. tell them the oil was bad?
That code means your 500 miles over on your oil change. Thats based on the computer algorithm and it does not actually know if the oil is good or not.

· Administrator
10,265 Posts
I'm pretty sure the truck will not regen with that code and limp mode due to oil change being overdue.

· Registered
4,295 Posts
@biodiesel - perhaps this starts to answer your inquiry.
This could certainly explain some of the high mileage failures that we see on the forum. Fuel dilution adds to the list of reasons why EcoDiesel owners should be taking oil samples at each drain interval. Installing the AFE deep pan and/or installing a by-pass system is a little bit extreme; however, increasing the overall sump capacity will help keep fuel dilution at a minimum. It doesn't fix the problem, but it might buy some time before fuel dilution exceeds safe thresholds.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Yes, a used oil analysis is well worth the $35.75 from Oil Analyzers Inc. Since Blackstone can only estimate the actual fuel dilution of the oil and doesn't perform Gas Chromatography of the oil and cost is similar, I wouldn't recommend them for UOA.

· Registered
4,295 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
This could certainly explain some of the high mileage failures that we see on the forum. Fuel dilution adds to the list of reasons why EcoDiesel owners should be taking oil samples at each drain interval. Installing the AFE deep pan and/or installing a by-pass system is a little bit extreme; however, increasing the overall sump capacity will help keep fuel dilution at a minimum. It doesn't fix the problem, but it might buy some time before fuel dilution exceeds safe thresholds.
My fuel dilution was 6% at 2300 miles so adding more oil with a deep pan only increase the amount of money I spend every 2000 miles and bypass systems, which I have, have really expensive cartridge's that have to be thrown away when contaminated with fuel, so no help with that.

Until I can figure out my dilution I'll be using the cheapest shit oil I can find, and tossing it out every 2000 miles.

I am using a fuel additive decarbonizer, and have used an oil flush that is also supposed to help. soon I will be buying 1 new injector to move into positions of cylinder 2 and 4 to see it that makes a difference. Those are the ones that are consistently bad in AlphaODB. I will also be checking the compression on all cylinders via the glow plugs.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Good luck with your efforts in finding the cause. Hopefully you get some resolution.
3gal of 15-40 Rotella T4 is $42 and change from Walmart.com so compare that to 3 gallons of Amsoil at $174 and maybe you won't feel too awful about changes at 2,000 miles.
I'll be sending in another sample for analysis at 2,000 miles and see where we are.

· Premium Member
657 Posts
I'd do compression testing on the cylinders, looks like 1 and 6 might have carbon'd up rings and so forth and it's over fueling the cylinders that are also leaking fuel down the cylinder walls, probably quite a bit of it. soot is a bitch. the entire engine is probably a mess if the the rings are stuck.

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
I'd do compression testing on the cylinders, looks like 1 and 6 might have carbon'd up rings and so forth and it's over fueling the cylinders that are also leaking fuel down the cylinder walls, probably quite a bit of it. soot is a bitch. the entire engine is probably a mess if the the rings are stuck.
Are you addressing this to me or @Lord of my dogs or both of us?

· Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
whoever lol :)
OK
As @Brokedownbutgood has posted, if there was significant compression problem, there should be a CCV pressure check engine light. I have another 400 miles until I take a 2,000 mile sample, so we'll see what that says.

· Registered
480 Posts
Oxidation is the POE Flush Oil. Their computer always flags that.

It’s time to do some hard testing. I expect you will find a failed injector. The injector return flow test should be one of the easier tests, so it’s a good place to start.

You simply remove the return lines, route hoses that fit into a container, and crank it over 30 seconds. 15 mL from any one injector is the fail point. That’s one tablespoon. Generally, I expect to see a few drops at most.

· Registered
4,295 Posts
It’s time to do some hard testing. I expect you will find a failed injector. The injector return flow test should be one of the easier tests, so it’s a good place to start.
I would buy all new injectors and be done with it. Doing a quick google, it looks like you can get all six injectors for $975 bucks. Not cheap, but not awfully expensive for the peace of mind.

41 - 60 of 169 Posts