RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
I do not have a FCA extended warranty. fuel filter only has about 3 k miles on it.

I also wanted to report that my MPG took about 3 mpg hit after the check engine light came on. Perhaps this is due to a bad injector. I don't know, but it is something I noticed this morning and throughout the day.

My check engine light is still on.

I suppose I will find time to take it in to the dealer sometime this week.

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Strange thread as the OP never got back to finalize the results after his return of the code. Taken on new life.

Will sheepdog come back? Stay tuned.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Strange thread as the OP never got back to finalize the results after his return of the code. Taken on new life.

Will sheepdog come back? Stay tuned.
Just a note that I had a friend clear the code yesterday evening. He has a device (code reader) from Snap On Tools. I want to see if it comes back without loosing a day at my servicing dealer.

The interesting thing to me, is immediately, I got back about 1 1/2 mpg from the 3 mpg loss.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Well seems like my ecodiesel seems to be a lemon, or my local dealership does not know what they are doing! It's been to the shop twice for the P026C code, first attempt they replaced the injector pump and some fuel lines. Lasted 80 miles then popped the code again. Second attempt they spent 2.5 weeks fooling with it to finally said it was the fuel filter. I had just put a new OEM fuel filter on it 500 miles before the first code popped. Went back in for a fuel leak because they failed to tighten a line properly and it was sealing diesel. Lasted about 1.5 months, no issues.Two Thursdays ago was making a small 130 mile trip to a zoo and my oil cooler blew, mind that I only have 33k mikes on this truck! Got it towed, 1 week later got my truck back. Drove it 35 miles and got a check throttle control warning and went into limp mode! WTF! Reset to see if it would come back. Cleared and did not come back. Drove truck up to PA for Memorial Day weekend , and this morning it popped the P026C code again. I'm about to drive it over the Fing cliff!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sorry to read your woes Chuck. Hopefully we can find someone who knows how to really fix it. Did you drop some MPG on the display as well?

As of yesterday morning, my trucks CEL is back on. The same P026C.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Well seems like my ecodiesel seems to be a lemon, or my local dealership does not know what they are doing! It's been to the shop twice for the P026C code, first attempt they replaced the injector pump and some fuel lines. Lasted 80 miles then popped the code again. Second attempt they spent 2.5 weeks fooling with it to finally said it was the fuel filter. I had just put a new OEM fuel filter on it 500 miles before the first code popped. Went back in for a fuel leak because they failed to tighten a line properly and it was sealing diesel. Lasted about 1.5 months, no issues.Two Thursdays ago was making a small 130 mile trip to a zoo and my oil cooler blew, mind that I only have 33k mikes on this truck! Got it towed, 1 week later got my truck back. Drove it 35 miles and got a check throttle control warning and went into limp mode! WTF! Reset to see if it would come back. Cleared and did not come back. Drove truck up to PA for Memorial Day weekend , and this morning it popped the P026C code again. I'm about to drive it over the Fing cliff!
How did they fix your oil cooler issue? They should have replaced your engine if oil was inside your coolant system. Others have had a new engine installed and that would take longer then a week repair in my opinion...
Thxs

·
Registered
575 Posts
A update.

Over the last month I have been too busy to get into the servicing dealer about the CEL and the code. It has been on for a little over a month now. Today, I was in a hurry and got a stretch of highway and really drove my truck much more aggressively than I normally do. By that I mean I pushed the pedal to the metal several times and kept it there for a brief period. At some point in that drive my CEL went away.

Just saying.

In any case, I hope to get it in the dealer at some point in July to have them look at the injectors.

·
Banned
272 Posts
That was the code I had and they sent the injectors out for testing and they failed. They replaced all 6 injectors under warranty.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Another Update. So my CEL keeps coming on for the same P026C code. But, I can clear it for a few days just by doing a hard acceleration for a few seconds once my truck is up to temp. It goes off on its own, where it stays in that state for a few days and then comes back on.

Still trying to get to my servicing dealer some time over the next few weeks. I need my truck for work and dread not having it for a few days. If I remember correctly, I have 68,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Well I took my Truck in late last week to have the P206C code diagnosed. They ended replacing the EGR cooler under the 100k warranty. Found some wet soot on one side of the intake manifold and Star Center advised them to replace the EGR Cooler.

I picked up my truck this afternoon and within 10 miles it threw the P206C code again. Called servicing dealer and informed them and they said they would put a plan together and get back to me.

I will post back once they have had a chance to look at it and inform me on the next steps.

I am at 68K on the odometer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My truck has been at the dealership for this code almost two weeks which is longer than I have had it since I bought it. I replaced my fuel filter when it started acting sluggish on my first long trip. I brought it to the dealership the Monday after that weekend and they have had it since. So far they replaced the turbo duct, O2 sensor, and turbo hoses. Each time they have driven the truck over 50 miles to see if the CEL stays off but keeps coming back on. Today the service manager calls me to tell me they don't know what to do next and are awaiting Chrysler's direction. It may involve getting the Chrysler field tech to troubleshoot. Service manager said they haven't seen this code very much. Asked him if they checked the fuel system and EGR he said code isn't related to a emissions issue but I wonder about the fuel system. Bought my truck CPO with 41k miles. Definitely second guessing my choice as my 12 Hemi was a beast tuned and never had an issue...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Certainly think it is related to the fuel system but I am not sure. Possible Injectors and or fuel pump.

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of this Star case?

Star - S1518000024

Apparently there is some info in there related to this code.

RamRZR - What year is your truck?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Not sure if this is helpful/applicable, but I found the following on the internet (so it must be true.... LOL);

The engine computer (PCM) monitors the Reductant Catalyst System's use of DEF and its ability to convert NOx to Nitrogen, Carbon Dioxide, and Water. The PCM uses a Reductant Quality Sensor to monitor the performance of the Reductant system. If the sensor sends back an implausible signal, code P206C is set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Certainly think it is related to the fuel system but I am not sure. Possible Injectors and or fuel pump.

Does anyone know how to obtain a copy of this Star case?

Star - S1518000024

Apparently there is some info in there related to this code.

RamRZR - What year is your truck?

·
Registered
14 Posts
RamRzr: You are not running biodiesel by chance. My dealer said they have seen issues with running higher levels.
No only had 2 fill ups of reg diesel and 1 of those was done by the dealer when I purchased the truck

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you have only had it twice weeks, willing to bet this problem caused the trade in. Ask for you money back.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
My truck has been at the dealership for this code almost two weeks which is longer than I have had it since I bought it. I replaced my fuel filter when it started acting sluggish on my first long trip. I brought it to the dealership the Monday after that weekend and they have had it since. So far they replaced the turbo duct, O2 sensor, and turbo hoses. Each time they have driven the truck over 50 mikes to see if the CEL stays off but keeps coming back on. Today the service manager calls me to tell me they don't know what to do next and are awaiting Chrysler's direction. It may involve getting the Chrysler field tech to troubleshoot. Service manager said they haven't seen this code very much. Asked him if they checked the fuel system and EGR he said code isn't related to a emissions issue but I wonder about the fuel system. Bought my truck CPO with 41k miles. Definitely second guessing my choice as my 12 Hemi was a beast tuned and never had an issue...

Have they dropped the fuel tank and inspected it for debris? Is the fuel pressure normal pre or post injection pump? Unfortunately that code is very generic but the fact it takes up to 50 miles to set is something to consider. It may even be a defective thermostat.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They have not gotten specific as to what they have and have not checked only what they have replaced thus far. The service manager stated that they are following the procedure outlined by Chrysler and when I called Friday that they are now awaiting the Chrysler service tech to troubleshoot further. No update given today...

21 - 40 of 78 Posts