RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
UPDATE

....and basically told me that Chrysler claims carbon build up to consumer negligence and that's the way they can get out of warranty repairs....
I re-read the OP's resolution.

This one statement from FCA is such a load of crap. If it is due to consumer negligence, then it should be suggested in the owners manual that it needs to be cleaned every so many miles. What is the negligence? Driving the vehicle? Does FCA expect people to buy their trucks and use them as lawn ornaments? Really dumb.

·
Registered
327 Posts
RamItEco, have you had this resolved? Wondering specifically about those codes and if you took it to the dealer to document it?

Also, any coolant loss, too?
I have not and I haven’t had any coolant loss. About a year ago I had the whole EGR system replaced under warranty so maybe I got lucky? The codes tell me otherwise, tho.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, I’m new here. I thought I’d do a search to see if anyone shared a similar experience . . . I guess the melting intake is a popular thing. I was cruising on the free way about 75 mph when it felt like I pushed in the clutch (figurative). It was all I could do to get it to the shoulder. The engine stalled and I got all the idiot lights. The info center cycled through about 5 messages. The smoke was white, kind of smelled like burning clutches. I tried to start it; it took awhile but it did start. Reverse worked ok but it did not want to move forward. I had it towed home. Yesterday I found that there was 4 holes in the intake. Chunks of soot/carbon build up blew through the turbo. EGR crapped 5he bed and the front of the engine had a leak. So, with my dealership, all of it is covered. Everything. No questions. They even covered the loaner. Classic Ram in Denton, Texas. They diagnosed it on Monday, I should have it back on Friday.

I have done all on the recalls up to this point. The new one is being taken care of while it is in. Sorry that so many of you had bad experiences with their Dealers. I just wanted you to know that there are still some with a little character, ethics, and morals. If you are still having trouble and need a copy of my repair paperwork, PM me and I’ll do my best to get it to you.

good luck to you all

g

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi gwatlack, welcome to the board. I bought my truck used from Classic in Denton and so far I have not had any issues with them. Although, most of my service has been for recalls.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well, I got the truck back. Amid the promise that “it’s going to fly“ and “l’m going to feel the difference,” due to the newer model intake and programming change, I felt no difference. As a matter of fact, it felt more sluggish; fuel economy dipped to 19 (from 20-22). I was on my second drive, close to the house, and took an on-ramp onto the interstate. I punched it to get it up to speed. The tranny didn’t drop down to gain speed; it just sluggishly chugged up to 75. I locked the cruise. One mile later, I got the low oil pressure idiot light. I took it to the shoulder; engine was stalled before I could get it stopped. Engine froze up. I had it towed to the dealership that fixed the intake.

Well, I am to get a new engine. Apparently, they didn’t hear me when I said they need to check the bottom end. Some of the carbon and soot got down into the cylinders. They said he cleaned it out. I guess he didn’t do a good enough job. They didn’t change the oil either. Advisor told me something in the bottom end let go.

I’ll update you all as this saga progresses. I am curious, does this restart my warranty on my engine? Lol

take it easy!

g

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I got the truck back. Amid the promise that “it’s going to fly“ and “l’m going to feel the difference,” due to the newer model intake and programming change, I felt no difference. As a matter of fact, it felt more sluggish; fuel economy dipped to 19 (from 20-22). I was on my second drive, close to the house, and took an on-ramp onto the interstate. I punched it to get it up to speed. The tranny didn’t drop down to gain speed; it just sluggishly chugged up to 75. I locked the cruise. One mile later, I got the low oil pressure idiot light. I took it to the shoulder; engine was stalled before I could get it stopped. Engine froze up. I had it towed to the dealership that fixed the intake.

Well, I am to get a new engine. Apparently, they didn’t hear me when I said they need to check the bottom end. Some of the carbon and soot got down into the cylinders. They said he cleaned it out. I guess he didn’t do a good enough job. They didn’t change the oil either. Advisor told me something in the bottom end let go.

I’ll update you all as this saga progresses. I am curious, does this restart my warranty on my engine? Lol

take it easy!

g
Warranty will definitely NOT reset. Had TWO engines replaced on my 2014 and asked the same question. NOPE. Finally traded in 2014 for a 2016 model

·
Registered
41 Posts
Got truck back from dealership. See photo’s of my exhaust intake manifold. This is what the inside of a stock tune with 260,000 klms looks like. Left side is totally gucked up. Dealership installed the new EGR cooler. This will be this trucks fourth. Also had to fight back and forth for two weeks but FCA agreed to replace manifold as well at no charge. Only because I had the two swirl valve codes pop up.
81F6BFE3-660D-46C8-853B-B30FC636A94D.jpeg
1F6007DD-942E-46EE-BBB6-DD9E35A9C2CF.jpeg

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
nice and dry deposits on most ports , it could be worst , I was expecting wet residue since toramman said
he was on his forth EGR .
Irongargenexpress 's intake was worse .

·
Registered
13,413 Posts
Those pictures should be the "final straw" to wake so many up that this engine needs a tune. You just have to do some form of a delete and stop the inevitable destruction going on with this EGR.

·
Registered
573 Posts
That wet soot is very abrasive, this crap sits between the piston crown and cylinder walls and polish the cross hatch on cylinder walls, wears out engine and causes high blow by...

41 - 55 of 55 Posts