RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm with rottenron on price being an issue. I replaced mine at about 170,000 kms and got an OEM pan pretty cheap. It's an issue of price and function. The OEM pan doesn't have a replaceable filter, but the number of magnet locations were more than some aftermarket I looked at. Let's be honest, unless you are a frequent changer who hot shots and put on plenty of mileage thus changes, you aren't going to be swapping this pan out very frequently. Most of the pans I looked at had comparable volume but some were deeper(heat problems, not me), all fit, so I went with OEM at a cheap price. Will change in another 170,000. To each his own.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Not trying to start a who's right or wrong issue on the internet, but both of these are exactly the same other than where they are made. Identical. But hey, buy the more expensive one if you want, it's your money, and that's certainly what FCA wants you to do.
PA66-30 vs PA66-35 is identical?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
this is what this whole thread is implying .
personally I think it is possible , in the 70's and 80's I saw a lot of identical parts,
for ford and mercury , priced higher for mercury ,
-capri parts more expensive than Mustang ,
-ford torino<=> mercury Montego
-Ford Granada <=>Mercury Monarch
-Ford Pinto<=>Mercury Bobcat
-Ford Maverick<=>Mercury Comet
etc....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yes, they are identical. You can order them by part number, 68233701AA (less expensive) 68225344AA (more expensive for the identical piece made in a different country)

·
Registered
125 Posts
ok so selected HP70 from dormans website and it says it wont fit. you are saying its identical?
I checked Dorman part finder for the correct number for my 1500 with 8HP70. Dorman P/N 265-850 is the number that comes up, so a slightly different P/N than previously mentioned. It also shows a cross reference with P/Ns 68225344AA and 68233701AA so that would indicate to me that the OP is correct, the parts are interchangeable. BUT not unexpectedly the German part is more expensive, cost of manufacture in Germany plus import and shipping likely account for the dollar difference. One advantage of the Dorman is the filter is replaceable.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&origin=keyword&q=265-850F

This part is a fit for your vehicle: 2015 > Ram > 1500 > Transmission Pan
Application: 8 Speed Trans. > Automatic Trans. > 8HP70 Trans.

OE Numbers
DIRECT OE CROSS
68225344AA
CHRYSLER
68233701AA
CHRYSLER

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone using the PPE pan? I’m at 40,000 miles mostly highway and not towing. Also, has anyone had issues with the plastic pan? Looks like it could be an issue in snow or off-road.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Anyone using the PPE pan? I’m at 40,000 miles mostly highway and not towing. Also, has anyone had issues with the plastic pan? Looks like it could be an issue in snow or off-road.
You have at least another 60,000 miles before even considering changing based on your use.

View attachment ZF Lab.pdf

Reactions: Kazimodo

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered a PPE pan, and when it came in it looked like somebody had nudged it during the machining process, which meant the holes for the filter bolts didn't line up with the filter. I got them to send me a new filter and they said to drill out the holes in the filter until it fit, and after I had done that, I wasn't comfortable installing it at all.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,288 Posts
I have the PPE pan. I changed the fluid at 100k then at 200k wanted to change the fluid & filter and there were none of the plastic filterpans with changeable filters yet so I bought the PPE pan. Short of a Transporter or Hot Shot use I probably would suggest the lower cost stock looking filterpans with changeable filters. If you change the fluid at every 100k & filter at say 200k & 400k And well you don’t even have the truck anymore at 400k how does it warrant the PPE. Next is 100k fluid & 200k filter a reasonable or sufficient service interval. Well I’m at 570k towing TT/THs & occasionally boats commercially and it’s worked fine for me as in repairs. FWIW I do have the GDE trans tune which may help trans & motor longevity and am informed enough to faithfully use the tow haul button.

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
PPE pan here. Installed at 70k and the fluid tested good. Went PPE for the serviceable filter. After the 2nd filter change you'll be money ahead over the plastic pans.

The extra fluid capacity is a plus, along with the better heat dissipation of the finned aluminum over plastic. No worries about road debris taking out the PPE pan, very well made.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I ordered a PPE pan, and when it came in it looked like somebody had nudged it during the machining process, which meant the holes for the filter bolts didn't line up with the filter. I got them to send me a new filter and they said to drill out the holes in the filter until it fit, and after I had done that, I wasn't comfortable installing it at all.
The filter is indexed by the pickup tube most filters are not even attached to the pan. It well work just as good as factory I would be more worried about the filter media being sufficient. Which others on here dont seem to care about even though the filter medias clearly have different part numbers on them on the less expensive pans. The PPE pan and filter work very well and have a proven track record.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have not posted photographs on a forum in the longest time so bear with me and the mistakes that I will most likely make. Anyways I recieved both my transmission pans and much to my surprise, they are absolutely identical! I was honestly expecting the ecodiesel 8HP70D pan to be deeper and have a higher capacity but that simply isn't the case. I will try to post the pictures that I took to compare them. Bottom line is, save your money and buy the Mopar part #68233701AA for a 3.6L V6 model. It's a U.S.A. made Filtran and is priced at less than $100 shipped all over the internet and possibly even at a dealership near you.
John

View attachment 75064 View attachment 75068 View attachment 75070
Amazon says this does not fit my 15 ED?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Amazon says this does not fit my 15 ED?
Amazon simply uses info provided by the manufacturer, it's not like anyone at Amazon actually knows what transmissions that filter will fit. You're gonna have to roll the dice if saving some green interests you. Seems like someone has already done the homework for you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I can confirm that the two OEM Plastic pans being discussed are identical. Identical. Same filter media, same shape, same molding marks, same size, same fitment, same filtering ability, same bolt holes, same everything. 68233701AA (less expensive) 68225344AA (more expensive for the identical piece made in a different country). The only difference is where they are made and the price. You are not taking a chance. They are identical. I am a Marine Systems Engineer in the Canadian Navy with 35 years of experience working with Diesels. I have looked at both filter medias under a microscope. Identical fibers. Identical space between fibers. Identical thickness. Any talk of them not being identical is fear mongering and profiteering. Not rolling the dice at all, they are identical.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Amazon simply uses info provided by the manufacturer, it's not like anyone at Amazon actually knows what transmissions that filter will fit. You're gonna have to roll the dice if saving some green interests you. Seems like someone has already done the homework for you.
Welp too late local shop didn’t know it took whole pan and it was stuck on the lift so had to buy one from the dealer for $280 just to get my truck back...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am getting ready to do a fluid, pan and filter change on my Eco-D ZF8. I was shopping for the less expensive 68233701AA pan, found one for $110 shipped. While searching I noticed one reference to 18-19 Wrangler STEEL pan in the description they had the 68233701AA number. they also said "Fits Jeep 850RE transmissions as well as earlier 8HP45 equipped vehicles if you would like to upgrade to a metal pan". The number of bolts is the same, any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
that is yet another part number you have found ,
the one I had that was said to be for a 3.6 engine using same transmission as our trucks was :

german part # for ecodiesel truck : #68225344AA ==>$182 US
USA part # for a 3.6 L car with same tranny : #68233701AA ==>$100US

also
Rock Auto $142 CDN
More Information for DORMAN 265853

real path takes us to Rock Auto different models of our tranny Pans : now $ 157.89 for the real part number .
https://www.rockauto.com/fr/catalog/ram,2015,1500,3.0l+v6+diesel+turbocharged,3310235,transmission-automatic,oil+pan,8546

wonder if they are the same , just in different packaging ?????

·
Registered
125 Posts
that is yet another part number you have found ,
the one I had that was said to be for a 3.6 engine using same transmission as our trucks was :

german part # for ecodiesel truck : #68225344AA ==>$182 US
USA part # for a 3.6 L car with same tranny : #68233701AA ==>$100US

also
Rock Auto $142 CDN
More Information for DORMAN 265853

real path takes us to Rock Auto different models of our tranny Pans : now $ 157.89 for the real part number .
https://www.rockauto.com/fr/catalog/ram,2015,1500,3.0l+v6+diesel+turbocharged,3310235,transmission-automatic,oil+pan,8546

wonder if they are the same , just in different packaging ?????
Kazimodo the number in question is another number yet 68408606AA. My bad, it's in the link I should have included that in my post body to avoid confusion.

I found that number in a round about way I noticed the pan in the eBay link below and noticed a notation it would replace 8HP45 pans.

2018-20 Jeep Wrangler 850RE METAL Transmission Oil Pan & Filter OEM 68362043AA | eBay

So curious I tried to search that P/N but could not find it.... But searching the applications listed for Jeep I found the same pictures for the Jeep Wrangler 8 speed under Mopar P/N 68408606AA. The Ebay ad said "metal" I assumed steel but looking at the side that bolts to the engine it could be aluminum. It appears the filter is replaceable, sure be nice if it would work, it's under $100 at the Mopar discount sites.

Engines: 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine W/ BSG. 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Turbo Engine w/ ESS. 2.2L N-S I4 Turbo Diesel w/ESS. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I W/BSG. 3.6L V6 24V VVT Engine Upg I w/ESS.. Transmissions: 8-Spd Auto 850RE Trans (Make).

21 - 39 of 39 Posts